Pod Your Reef

Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021

Pjanssen

32 minutes ago, stellablue said:

They are adorable!!!!!

i think I read that you were thinking full acrylic top but I think you should nix that. Being fully stocked, you're going to want to ensure good air exchange and I think that would limit you.

plus acrylic would warp I think if it was a full top. 

Thanks Stella, was thinking this too and you confirmed for me. Just means weekly reps to LFS for RODI

• Like 1

Added the mated neon goby pair to the tank. They are hiding now so I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. I'm a little concerned because it looks like one of them is loosing color. Can they spend too much time in a quarantine tank?

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Added the mated neon goby pair to the tank. They are hiding now so I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. I'm a little concerned because it looks like one of them is loosing color. Can they spend too much time in a quarantine tank?

No idea but I am glad somebody's in the tank!  Guess I'd just say keep a close eye on him/her.

• Like 1

So the neons are doing fine now, both colored back up nicely and they are comfortably moving around the tank. Have some algae etc going on so I added some snails and an emerald crab to my cleanup crew and a couple of peppermint shrimp to hopefully take care of the couple of aiptasia that are in there. Added that one jawfish that I had, and he is in hiding anxiously awaiting the arrival of his mail order bride! Saw some sexy shrimp at the LFS, but they were so tiny I decided against them. Still waiting for phillip from KP to catch a couple of gold coral banded shrimp for me. Damn, wish I could go myself.

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

In other news, These guys (or a similar pair), as well as Mail order bride for Jawfish will be arriving Monday.Then I think my stocking will be complete.

IMG_3809.jpg.bef48cdcf0d667f838478b74f5b4f909.jpg

Exciting!

Just now, Lula_Mae said:

Exciting!

I'm super excited about the god coral banded shrimp. Hopefully the jawfish likes, I mean LOVES his mail order bride. I need to come up with names for everyone. I'm thinking Alice and Ralph Cramden for the Neon gobies, Steve & Lera Loeb for the jawfish (the only "famous" and successful mail order bride couple I could find), and Ricky and Lucy for the shrimp.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

I'm super excited about the god coral banded shrimp. Hopefully the jawfish likes, I mean LOVES his mail order bride. I need to come up with names for everyone. I'm thinking Alice and Ralph Cramden for the Neon gobies, Steve & Lera Loeb for the jawfish (the only "famous" and successful mail order bride couple I could find), and Ricky and Lucy for the shrimp.

I love that you're calling it a mail order bride! :lol:

• Like 1

Like @Addinali, I'm a little concerned that me jawfish did not come out of his little cave this morning when I fed the tank. Hopefully he is just too busy in there getting ready for the arrival of his mail order bride.

22 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Like @Addinali, I'm a little concerned that me jawfish did not come out of his little cave this morning when I fed the tank. Hopefully he is just too busy in there getting ready for the arrival of his mail order bride.

:unsure: Hope he's ok!  Maybe he's getting wedding jitters?  Cold fins or something? :lol:

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

:(

• Like 1

Still no sign of the groom. :(. I'm tempted to lift the rock where he created his burrow, but it would really make a mess of the tank. I've put food down by the hole in hopes that he'd come out for it. He would come out if he were there, right?:unsure:

Come out come out where ever you are...

33983375364_795b8f2a2e.jpgPeek-a-boo by Penny, on Flickr

• Like 3

But in other news... The neons seem to be doing well. They love hanging out on the back wall and their blue really stands out against the black. I kinda would like to see them swimming around a little more though

34946251801_ab2899c036_n.jpgRalph and Alice by Penny, on Flickr

The colors are pretty well represented in his shot. All of the rics have at least 2 mouths.

34913012822_8e3a0e23fa_n.jpgRicordea and Zoa island. by Penny, on Flickr

The Mithrax crab and other members of the clean up crew are doing a great job of taking care of assorted algae. However, the peppermint shrimp show no interest in the aiptasia.

34913012782_d8b6f4a10d_n.jpgMithrax crab by Penny, on Flickr

Orange gorgonia

34689716960_7dd58b845c_n.jpgOrange gorgonia by Penny, on Flickr 

One of my Merman's shaving brush is doing great

34689716860_452d809b23_n.jpgMerman's shaving brush #1 by Penny, on Flickr

One of them not so much

34233311864_36e5983120_n.jpgMerman's shaving brush #2 by Penny, on Flickr

Another Zoa colony that hasn't really opened up much since I put it in this tank

34689716730_f8c06dd7b0_n.jpgZoanthid colony by Penny, on Flickr

RFA

34266275923_76df6ba0eb_n.jpgRock flower anemone by Penny, on Flickr

• Like 7

Out on the docks of our local city marina this evening, just around dusk, and discovered this beautiful sight growing on all of the dock walls. I'm talking a few hundred feet of sun corals, gorgonias and sponges growing on the walls from the surface to probably 10 feet down. It was beautiful. Talk about a Florida biotope!

34692496130_d1abc14565.jpgSun corals and gorgonias by Penny, on Flickr

35079665475_317a6536a2.jpgSun corals by Penny, on Flickr

34692494660_865c49c004_z.jpgSun corals by Penny, on Flickr

• Like 9

Thats super cool!

As for your zoas, I have always had mixed luck with them.  They are more finnicky then people give them credit for lol

• Like 3
On 6/3/2017 at 10:10 PM, Pjanssen said:

Out on the docks of our local city marina this evening, just around dusk, and discovered this beautiful sight growing on all of the dock walls. I'm talking a few hundred feet of sun corals, gorgonias and sponges growing on the walls from the surface to probably 10 feet down. It was beautiful. Talk about a Florida biotope!

34692496130_d1abc14565.jpgSun corals and gorgonias by Penny, on Flickr

35079665475_317a6536a2.jpgSun corals by Penny, on Flickr

34692494660_865c49c004_z.jpgSun corals by Penny, on Flickr

This is SO COOL!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021