Coral Vue Hydros

Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021

Pjanssen

11 hours ago, holy carp said:

Fortunately for you, those spots don't quite look like the coralline eating mystery things in my tank.  However, many coral larva root themselves in coralline, so who knows, you could have a pre-populated reef.  Otherwise it could just be how that type of coralline grows. Can you get close-up photos?

Getting ready for surgery so will get back into it as soon as I'm able

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Any body have any ideas as to what this is, if anything? I'm referring to the pink with gray spots.

IMG_3707.thumb.jpg.66ad22520f6e609de7b138d17e1fcc4c.jpgIMG_3706.thumb.jpg.4172e373e7308ac05ea3be0c1fb0160b.jpg

How did surgery go? Thinking of you.

The stand came out really nice! And it has a door too. Perfect place to hide the ATO, how much water does it hold?

The unknown encrustation on your rock is possibly a matt polyp of some kind. Might have beige polyps when it is happy.

• Like 2

Todays look

IMG_3720.thumb.jpg.13ddb13929ceb62e410fe2049d8f6203.jpg

Nitrites and ammonia coming down. I dosed 2 ml of prime yesterday so that probably helped. Noting else new. I want to play with my aquascape some, but it's almost impossible 1 handed. I'm getting frustrated. :rant:

• Like 6

Looks like we're pretty close.  Going to try to get hubby to do a water change for me tonight. i'll put in my media rack with filter floss only for now, and decide what/how I'm going to utilize the mangroves. Maybe put in a couple of macro algae.

IMG_3721.thumb.jpg.cb6982e264b9ebe23f26f49102941c54.jpg

Nitrates are around 5

• Like 3

So I'm struggling with a little dilemma. I have a couple of fish currently being held in a 10 gallon holding tank with 1 piece of really holy live rock. They all LOVE this rock and swim in and out of the holes. Part of me wants to transfer this piece of rock to the new tank for them but I have 3 issues.

1-Not sure that it is Florida rock, although I've had it for many years so it is a long time Florida resident :D

2-I would have to re-scape, which is difficult for me right now

3-It has a bunch of xenia on it, which I know is not Florida, and also I consider to be a nuisance. It also has a patch of BRYOPSIS :furious: on it which:furious::furious:

I suppose I could treat the rock, but I really don't want to:unsure:

I guess I'm just looking for opinions on whether I should move the rock over with the fish?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

So I'm struggling with a little dilemma. I have a couple of fish currently being held in a 10 gallon holding tank with 1 piece of really holy live rock. They all LOVE this rock and swim in and out of the holes. Part of me wants to transfer this piece of rock to the new tank for them but I have 3 issues.

1-Not sure that it is Florida rock, although I've had it for many years so it is a long time Florida resident :D

2-I would have to re-scape, which is difficult for me right now

3-It has a bunch of xenia on it, which I know is not Florida, and also I consider to be a nuisance. It also has a patch of BRYOPSIS :furious: on it which:furious::furious:

I suppose I could treat the rock, but I really don't want to:unsure:

I guess I'm just looking for opinions on whether I should move the rock over with the fish?

Don't move it over. 

• Like 4

dont move it and order a small reef cleaners package of rock if you want holey fla rock

20170519_085325.jpg

20170519_085316.jpg

Its so holey I dont cut my frag plugs and just stick them in the rock and my wrasse sleeps inside the rock.

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

So @lkoechle gets all kinds of neat little critters like shrimp crabs and fish on her amazing live rock, and I get this

IMG_3738.thumb.jpg.e25d4e583070ceecd56090d83d2b50ea.jpg

Hello Aiptasia :rolleyes:

if its from florida it might not be true aipstasia.  Its in the same family but far less invasive.  Curlycue is the name.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

So @lkoechle gets all kinds of neat little critters like shrimp crabs and fish on her amazing live rock, and I get this

IMG_3738.thumb.jpg.e25d4e583070ceecd56090d83d2b50ea.jpg

Hello Aiptasia :rolleyes:

Life's not fair, is it? :lol:

34 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

if its from florida it might not be true aipstasia.  Its in the same family but far less invasive.  Curlycue is the name.

Are curlycue nems the same color as aiptasia?

34 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

I know it looks like a curly cue, but it's actually banded. :)  I have the same one and it hasn't reproduced at all in the months I've had it even though I broadcast feed decently often. 

• Like 2

Side note, there was an LFS where I used to live that had an aiptasia that must have been 3-4 inches in diameter and close to a foot long.  At least I think it was aiptasia... :blink:

Just now, Mariaface said:

I know it looks like a curly cue, but it's actually banded. :)  I have the same one and it hasn't reproduced at all in the months I've had it even though I broadcast feed decently often. 

That is interesting, I had a small (what I thought was) aiptasia on some Florida LR I got from an LFS, but it didn't seem to reproduce in over a year's time--and I had it in a 1 gallon tank!

• Like 4
On May 12, 2017 at 11:09 AM, holy carp said:

Good luck!

On May 12, 2017 at 0:31 PM, debbeach13 said:

Good luck with the surgery.

On May 12, 2017 at 0:33 PM, metrokat said:

How did surgery go? Thinking of you.

The stand came out really nice! And it has a door too. Perfect place to hide the ATO, how much water does it hold?

The unknown encrustation on your rock is possibly a matt polyp of some kind. Might have beige polyps when it is happy.

I see I missed some posts here last week. Sorry about that. Thank you @holy carp @debbeach13 & @metrokat for the well wishes. Surgery went well enough I suppose-3 little screws no hold the bone together.

Thats for the compliment on the stand @metrokat. Certain sources that shall not be named have suggested that the light is too high, so alterations will have be made. The ATO holds 2 gallons. 

• Like 2

I added some gorgonians, Florida ricordea, and zoanthids today. A couple of days ago I added a couple of macros and 2 baby RFA's. One of the RFA'a is not doing well, the other seems like it has doubled in size already. Hmmm.

I need to go to my front page and update/add my equipment and livestock IMG_3739.thumb.jpg.09a6de7ce11c0817a8ea2e1bffd4667e.jpgIMG_3741.thumb.jpg.7268087915b35be7df94bba78c40719c.jpg

• Like 5
14 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I added some gorgonians, Florida ricordea, and zoanthids today. A couple of days ago I added a couple of macros and 2 baby RFA's. One of the RFA'a is not doing well, the other seems like it has doubled in size already. Hmmm.

I need to go to my front page and update/add my equipment and livestock IMG_3739.thumb.jpg.09a6de7ce11c0817a8ea2e1bffd4667e.jpgIMG_3741.thumb.jpg.7268087915b35be7df94bba78c40719c.jpg

I really like it!!!

Are those green Macros on the sand "toadstool" Macros from KP Aquatics?

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I really like it!!!

Are those green Macros on the sand "toadstool" Macros from KP Aquatics?

Yes. I'm hoping they eventually cover the sand. I may try to get some to cover the top ledge too because I'm not sure what else can grow there. Maybe some zoas?

• Like 1
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021