inTank Media Baskets

Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021

Pjanssen

• Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's 100 day contest tank-The Florida Honeymoon Reef-Trying to catch a bristle worm
  • 5 months later...

Wow! I can't believe how long it's been since I've updated this thread. 😶Unfortunately, All of my original habitants have perished (except for the snails and hermits and red Mithrax crab). The last to go was the masked goby. He was there one day and gone the next. Same with the neon goby a few weeks earlier. As far as I could tell, they were healthy until they were gone. I don't know what happened to them. I guess my clean up crew is pretty efficient, as I never even saw a carcass.

IMG_5394.thumb.jpg.bd1146cf6d7edd8a929e603aa0186559.jpg

• Sad 2

several attempts at catching the fireworm(s) have failed, I now have at least 2 that I know of. Bought the worm tube seen above online and have baited it with fresh shrimp. One of the worms goes in about half way then backs out. I guess he's smarter than I give him credit.

IMG_5398.thumb.jpg.568b15caf27e9baff564142fc327dc88.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

The newest inhabitant is a shark nose goby. Much like a neon, but smaller and with a yellow head. I believe they come from the caribbean, and not Florida but I'm okay with that. I also have a Pygmy Angel being shy in quarantine and she will go in there in a couple of weeks.

IMG_5395.thumb.jpg.a351a61b4d9fbbd983aaa6c4becdb174.jpg

• Like 2
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's IM14-100 days contest winner: A Caribbean adventure
3 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

I'm considering letting go of the strictly caribbean/florida theme because I am in love with @vlangel's barnacle blennies.

Did you read Nano sapiens experiences with them?  He could only keep them 3-6 mos before the started spinning on the sand and then dying.  If he had trouble keeping them I am doubtful that I can.  I will keep you informed. 😉

• Like 1
3 hours ago, vlangel said:

Did you read Nano sapiens experiences with them?  He could only keep them 3-6 mos before the started spinning on the sand and then dying.  If he had trouble keeping them I am doubtful that I can.  I will keep you informed. 😉

I did see his post. I have every faith in you.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday afternoon I added a beautiful pygmy angel to the tank. After about 1/2 hour of hiding, she came out and was exploring and swimming happily. This morning she is gone! WTF IS EATING ALL OF MY FISH, LEAVING NO TRACE BEHIND!!? When the little ones disappeared, I was maybe leaning towards the fireworms, but this angel was a pretty big fish and very healthy. I'm thinking red Mithrax crab. I know they are generally algae eaters and considered reef safe, but honestly there isn't much algae in there. I occasionally feed him pieces of Nori, but maybe not enough.  I can't be mad at him, I guess he has to eat what he can get. So I guess I should take the tank apart in an attempt to catch him. Do I risk putting him in my 29, which does have algae, or is that too risky for my clowns and hawkfish that are in there? Now I really wish I had a sump.

2 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Yesterday afternoon I added a beautiful pygmy angel to the tank. After about 1/2 hour of hiding, she came out and was exploring and swimming happily. This morning she is gone! WTF IS EATING ALL OF MY FISH, LEAVING NO TRACE BEHIND!!? When the little ones disappeared, I was maybe leaning towards the fireworms, but this angel was a pretty big fish and very healthy. I'm thinking red Mithrax crab. I know they are generally algae eaters and considered reef safe, but honestly there isn't much algae in there. I occasionally feed him pieces of Nori, but maybe not enough.  I can't be mad at him, I guess he has to eat what he can get. So I guess I should take the tank apart in an attempt to catch him. Do I risk putting him in my 29, which does have algae, or is that too risky for my clowns and hawkfish that are in there? Now I really wish I had a sump.

Sounds like time for some steamed crabmeat! 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

This morning she is gone!

R U sure?  It could still be hiding.  Any possibility that it could have jumped out (or in a back chamber)?

7 minutes ago, seabass said:

R U sure?  It could still be hiding.  Any possibility that it could have jumped out (or in a back chamber)?

Yep, I'm sure. Took the tank apart and found her in the crabs den.

IMG_5420.thumb.jpg.d544e03bfc5cc7de1d66b10df9f72cee.jpg

• Sad 3

I thought taking the tank apart would be a good opportunity to get rid of the fireworms, but they were nowhere to be found. Stirred up the sand to look for them there. It is very possible that I just couldn't find them, but I'm also wondering if the crab could have eaten them too? It has been a week or so since I've seen either one of the two that I knew were in there.

Anyway, what do I do with the Mithrax now?

O Penny, that is awful.  Poor fish!  I know how you feel about the crab too though.  If it's hungry, and none of us like that, it's gotta eat whatever. 🤔Such a dilemna.

1 minute ago, Pjanssen said:

I'm thinking the crab is being donated to LFS. Now that he's  had the taste of fish, he might prefer it and I'm not going to risk my clowns' or hawkfish's lives

That sounds like a good call and in the best interest of all involved.

• Like 1
On 10/8/2018 at 9:02 AM, Pjanssen said:

That would be one tiny crab cake 😂

But oh, so satisfying! :lol:

On 10/8/2018 at 9:08 AM, Pjanssen said:

I thought taking the tank apart would be a good opportunity to get rid of the fireworms, but they were nowhere to be found. Stirred up the sand to look for them there. It is very possible that I just couldn't find them, but I'm also wondering if the crab could have eaten them too? It has been a week or so since I've seen either one of the two that I knew were in there.

Anyway, what do I do with the Mithrax now?

1. Flush it. 2. Steam it. 3. Freshwater bath. 4. Jail. 5. Donate to science class. 6. Give to LFS.

Sorry, my house got invaded by fire ants today so I am feeling a little murderous lol.

• Haha 2
48 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

What if the crab is innocent and is wrongfully executed? :whoa: 

Hey, it's a crab!  If it's not guilty now, it will be eventually! :lol:

• Haha 2
16 minutes ago, vlangel said:

So much for innocent until proven guilty!

Don't worry, I didn't give the fire ants the chance to prove their innocence either.  Guess it's good I'm not a judge haha. :lol:

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

What if the crab is innocent and is wrongfully executed? :whoa: 

He's not, but don't worry, He is only being exiled for all eternity. 

7 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Don't worry, I didn't give the fire ants the chance to prove their innocence either.  Guess it's good I'm not a judge haha. :lol:

Fire ants are a genetic mutation of nature, sooooo...

25 minutes ago, vlangel said:

So much for innocent until proven guilty!

But he had the carcass in his den! Perhaps the goby planted it there 😮. OMG, I have to rethink this whole thing!

• Haha 2
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021