Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021

Pjanssen

1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

Looks like something got to the eggs. There are only 2-3 left

I know that clownfish will remove eggs that are not viable.  Could be the same here. :unsure:  Usually subsequent clutches are larger and more eggs hatch.  Do you have any plans on trying to raise the fry?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, seabass said:

I know that clownfish will remove eggs that are not viable.  Could be the same here. :unsure:  Usually subsequent clutches are larger and more eggs hatch.  Do you have any plans on trying to raise the fry?

Not really. I did pick up a breeder box, but have no plans to try to keep Rotifer cultures or whatever I need to feed them. I'm just too busy with work right now to do the research . If I can get to the LFS which sell live cultures then maybe. It would be cool.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Pjanssen said:

I'm so sad. I just discovered one of the mated neon gobies on the floor:tears:

No!! ;~;

I was so upset when one of my wheelers disappeared.. Managed to jump hard enough to lift the lid and then wiggle its way out, I suppose. :( I found him/her on the floor months later when I moved the tank.

• Sad 1
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's 100 day contest tank-The Florida Honeymoon Reef-Tragedy
20 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

So sad many of us have unfortunately suffered a loss from jumping fish. Do you think the fish that is still alive will except a new mate?

wish I knew.. I guess I will try after Christmas.

• Like 1
On 12/20/2017 at 11:15 AM, debbeach13 said:

Do you think the fish that is still alive will except a new mate?

On 12/20/2017 at 11:36 AM, Pjanssen said:

wish I knew.. I guess I will try after Christmas.

They can change sex so that any pair can become a male and female.  However, I'd be more confident if they were both going into a new tank.  TBH, I'm not sure what to expect when introducing a new goby, of the same species, into a tank where one has established a territory.  You might try rearranging the aquascape to make the existing goby less territorial.

• Like 1
On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 5:12 AM, seabass said:

They can change sex so that any pair can become a male and female.  However, I'd be more confident if they were both going into a new tank.  TBH, I'm not sure what to expect when introducing a new goby, of the same species, into a tank where one has established a territory.  You might try rearranging the aquascape to make the existing goby less territorial.

Maybe I'll just wait until I set up the new IM 20 abyss and put two of them in there. Maybe.

• Like 3
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's 100 day contest tank-The Florida Honeymoon Reef-Meet Rosie 12/31/17
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Remember the "harmless" fireworm I discovered back in November? I just discovered why my Red Culepera Macro has been disappearing! Not a good picture, but by the time I saw it chowing down and went to get my phone to capture the event, a good 1/2 dime sized amount of macro was gone. Now it's completely gone. I either need to get rid of the fireworm or nit replace the macro.

26390495788_5e7a0a93fb.jpgFirework v Culerpa macro by Penny, on Flickr

• Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's 100 day contest tank-The Florida Honeymoon Reef-Macro eating fire worm 2/14/18
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's 100 day contest tank-The Florida Honeymoon Reef-Near catastrophe averted!

Today was maintenance day on all if my tanks-Started with the 29, no problems. Then the 55 freshwater, no problems. Then on to the easiest-this 14 gallon. i drained out the 2.5 gallons that I normally do every 2-3 weeks. Cleaned the filter. Started adding new water. I use real ocean water that I buy from a LFS. I pour it into the tank using a 1 quart pitcher. I'm on my 3rd pitcher when I notice the water going in is looking wavy. WHAT! quickly test the water in the container which us clearly marked "SALT", and OMG, It's RO! omgomgomgNot sure why I didn't catch it while adding the first pitcher, I guess I just wasn't paying attention. I go into slightly panic mode omgomgomgas at this point I have no more water and salinity is measuring at 1.022 (I normally have it at 1.026). All I can think to do is add some water from my 29 to try to bring the salinity up some. I managed to bring the salinity up to 1.023 and made a bee-line to the LFS. Fortunately the owner/manager was in, and I explained the situation. He felt bad (New kid working), and gave me all free water. Now I know that it is my fault, I should have tested the water before adding, but I've been going to this store for a long time and... Lesson here, Don't get complacent and/or try to do tank maintenance when you're in a hurry!

• Like 1
  • Wow 4

Whoa! Sounds like you acted quickly enough that everything is going to be fine. 

I had a crazy situation with mine today too. I was scraping the glass with one of those floating mag cleaners. Well it popped off as I was scraping and floated away. I got distracted looking at something else and the next thing I hear is the ATO pump running...and running...and running...and then an alarm. The mag cleaner had floated to the overflow blocking the flow and the drop in the water level set the ATO off. Ended up putting a bunch of RODI into the tank. I quickly added some salt water I had been mixing like you did from your other tank hoping that would offset it a bit.

it seems that everything is gonna be fine but it sure sent me scrambling. 

• Sad 1
  • Wow 2
1 minute ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I’m glad everything worked out! That’s so alarming!

whew! I almost had my husband refill the tank for me, because it sits up high on the counter and is hard for me to get to. He would not have noticed a difference in the water.

• Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021