Innovative Marine Aquariums

Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021

Pjanssen

On 8/8/2017 at 11:13 AM, Mariaface said:

RFAs. Spawning and babies in your future!!

I agree! 

Penny - this tank is gorgeous! I love it. I'm sorry about your shrimp :( my tank has been on auto pilot as well and I neglected trimming the macro for a few weeks and today it was an absolute jungle! 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, stellablue said:

I agree! 

Penny - this tank is gorgeous! I love it. I'm sorry about your shrimp :( my tank has been on auto pilot as well and I neglected trimming the macro for a few weeks and today it was an absolute jungle! 

Thanks Rachael. Love yours too-Funny how similar they are! I loved my shrimp, especially the anemone shrimp. I should probably trim some macros. No point in putting any RFA's or anything else in right now as you'd never see them!:lol:

13 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Baby snails! So awesome! 

I'm sure you totally freaked out when you realized the pumps had been off. Newb here would have been in a panic!!

Hopefully some of the snails make it. They probably wouldn't survive if I took them and put them in my QT , but their numbers are dwindling as I type

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Thanks Rachael. Love yours too-Funny how similar they are! I loved my shrimp, especially the anemone shrimp. I should probably trim some macros. No point in putting any RFA's or anything else in right now as you'd never see them!:lol:

Hopefully some of the snails make it. They probably wouldn't survive if I took them and put them in my QT , but their numbers are dwindling as I type

They do look similar, don't they?? I think it will be fun to continue these together and see if they end up staying similar or if certain changes make them go different ways 

• Like 2

No babies left this morning, glass is can as can be (maybe some in the sand or rocks or something fingerscrossed). Had I been more prepared, I could have put them in some kind of nursery/frye set up. Maybe next time. The snails are always laying eggs these days.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

So I was looking at my tank this evening after doing the dishes and i noticed all of these little white spots all over the tank. I don't dose this tank, so I know it's not calcium precip like in my 29. So I get a little closer and realize OMG! I forgot to turn the pumps back on this morning after feeding-10 hours with no circulation :scarry:. So I turn 'em on and get back to inspecting what looks like flecks of sand on my glass. Can't figure out what it is, so I take a piece out, get as close up of a shot as I can with my iPhone, and low and behold, it's a BABY snail. At least some of my critters were doing what they were suppose to be doing in the honeymoon reef :lol:

35682490453_088bbceb45_c.jpgBaby snails by Penny, on Flickr

36093858550_03cafef4e0_o.jpgBaby snails by Penny, on Flickr

Oh that's awesome!!!

And yeah, I woulda totally panicked after having pumps off that long. 

20 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

No babies left this morning, glass is can as can be (maybe some in the sand or rocks or something fingerscrossed). Had I been more prepared, I could have put them in some kind of nursery/frye set up. Maybe next time. The snails are always laying eggs these days.

You know what type of snail the babies were?

I know that having the Macros in there helps with them surviving longer. 

I had baby Cerith snails at one point, but I haven't seen them again since moving everything into the 40B. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Oh that's awesome!!!

And yeah, I woulda totally panicked after having pumps off that long. 

You know what type of snail the babies were?

I know that having the Macros in there helps with them surviving longer. 

I had baby Cerith snails at one point, but I haven't seen them again since moving everything into the 40B. 

I don't know what kind of snails. The ceriths are always laying eggs so possibly them. But the shell looked more astrea-ish. There may still be some hiding in the macros, didn't have time this morning to look closely.

• Like 1

AAAAAAACCCCKKKKKK! Ok, so one of the new things that I was going to impress everybody with this afternoon doesn't look good. It looked awesome in the LFS yesterday, and just as good this morning in my tank, but this afternoon when I got home from work it looked bad-upside down and expelling crud. See for yourself and tell me what you think

36479425096_45578f8c90_z.jpgRFA by Penny, on Flickr

Swish it around gently to get some of the mucus off of it.  Sometimes when I can't get them to stick to a rock, I'll place it on a small rock, then lift the rock and anemone out of the water and leave it for a few minutes.  Then I shut off the flow and return the rock (and anemone).  After a half an hour or so, I'll start the flow back up.  Sometimes this is enough to get them to stick where I want them.

Otherwise, I'll just prop them against a rock and let them figure it out, or find a nice depression in a rock that I can place them in.

1 minute ago, seabass said:

Swish it around gently to get some of the mucus off of it.  Sometimes when I can't get them to stick to a rock, I'll place it on a small rock, then lift the rock and anemone out of the water and leave it for a few minutes.  Then I shut off the flow and return the rock (and anemone).  After a half an hour or so, I'll start the flow back up.  Sometimes this is enough to get them to stick where I want them.

Otherwise, I'll just prop them against a rock and let them figure it out, or find a nice depression in a rock that I can place them in.

The mucus is all gone. Strange thing is is that it attached easily yesterday and seemed fine this morning. I have it in a little separate container right now with some rubble to see if it will attach, but it keeps turning upside down.

Try sticking it on a rock then removing it from the water.  It won't be able to turn over outside the water.  It might not work, but I'd give it a shot.

How did the LFS remove the anemone?  Any possibility that it got damaged?

Just now, seabass said:

Try sticking it on a rock then removing it from the water.  It won't be able to turn over outside the water.  It might not work, but I'd give it a shot.

How did the LFS remove the anemone?  Any possibility that it got damaged?

I'll try that.

It was just in the sand, so I don't think it would have gotten damaged.

If you have an iodide based dip, you could try a 5 minute dip just to make sure it's not a bacterial infection. How long had the LFS had it before you bought it?

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

If you have an iodide based dip, you could try a 5 minute dip just to make sure it's not a bacterial infection. How long had the LFS had it before you bought it?

I'm out of lugols, do I went to PetCo and all they had was Fluval iodine/iodide. I put 2 drops in about 1 cup of water for about 5 minutes.

i don't know how long the LFS had it. I never think to ask that :-/:wacko:

• Like 2

I've been thinking about the yellow.  But I'm not sure if it's more difficult to care for than the red finger gorgs.  So I'm waiting a couple more months to see how the red fingers hold up.

• Like 1
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021