Pod Your Reef

Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021

Pjanssen

Just now, Pjanssen said:

I think dwarf sea horses would be more more work than I'm able/willing to do at this time.

lol i dont blame you 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I think dwarf sea horses would be more more work than I'm able/willing to do at this time.

It would've been amazing, though!

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Ok, So going by the responses, the consensus is to stick with the theme. Alrightythen!

You can get a chalk bass and move him when he gets big... If you have another tank he can go to.

• Like 1

Reef Gardener did have a gorgeous aqua colored St. Thomas but looks like she sold it.  I used to have a bright green one.  You can also find red ones sometimes but they are usually $75+.  She also used to have some discosoma carlgreni mushrooms that were gorgeous but looks like she's sold them too.  I used to have a couple till my tank melted down last month and killed almost everything, but you might contact her and see if there's any chance she might be getting in some nicely colored specimens in the near future. :)

Also, ricordea.  Would be gorgeous!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

Just ordered some more equipment. Now I have to decide on substrate and rocks. Sand or no sand? live rock? cured live rock? dry rock? So many choices. SO LITTLE TIME!

I really want uncured liverock but @skoechle wont let me spend the money for that. so we will probably be using liverock from the LFS and see what comes with that.  For sand, I am planning on going to the beach.  If youre doing a biotope still, I would do that.  I don't know how fine the sand is where you are though.  We have several coquina beaches here so the sand is more of a crushed aragonite than sand.  

4 hours ago, lkoechle said:

I really want uncured liverock but @skoechle wont let me spend the money for that. so we will probably be using liverock from the LFS and see what comes with that.  For sand, I am planning on going to the beach.  If youre doing a biotope still, I would do that.  I don't know how fine the sand is where you are though.  We have several coquina beaches here so the sand is more of a crushed aragonite than sand.  

Will you sterilize the beach sand? Sounds risky

1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

Will you sterilize the beach sand? Sounds risky

No, I figure this is a tank for experimenting.  I've gotten flatworms from CaribSea. Nothing worse than seeing flatworms in your brand new dry rock/live sand started tank. So I doubt the beach could be much worse. lol  I'm planning on rinsing the heck out of it, but that's it.  I think it will be curious to see what happens :) 

Edit to say: did googling to see what the composition of the sand was, and our coquina (jax/st augustine) apparently has a metric ton of phosphates :(  Booooo it would've been so pretty.

Edit again: MORE googling seems the phosphate in sand vs the phosphates added via food is hotly debated.  So I might still try it.  :wacko: So much contradicting stuff out there.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Pjanssen said:

built the frame for the stand today.

Nice!!

I have no skills in that area, so I always respect people who can do it. 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

:ninja:

SO EXCITED.  WE ARE IN THE FINAL COUNTDOWN! omgomgomg

I actually feel like I'm behind! No rocks cycling yet, no aquascape laid out. No livestock ordered. I haven't done a "thing" yet. :unsure:

• Like 2
Just now, Pjanssen said:

I actually feel like I'm behind! No rocks cycling yet, no aquascape laid out. No livestock ordered. I haven't done a "thing" yet. :unsure:

Me neither.  Just a plan.  So, I'm not too worried.  I do plan on placing an order next week though.  And we have to drill the top of the stand once the grommets come in which wont be until Monday.  :happydance:  I am getting antsy knowing others are cycling already... But we got this. :D  Do you at least have a plan?  

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I don't have any live stock ordered yet, but I am going to a LFS Monday to maybe order some ?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Me neither.  Just a plan.  So, I'm not too worried.  I do plan on placing an order next week though.  And we have to drill the top of the stand once the grommets come in which wont be until Monday.  :happydance:  I am getting antsy knowing others are cycling already... But we got this. :D  Do you at least have a plan?  

I thought you did a "thing" last week. I have a vision in my head, but putting it to fruition is a whole other thing. And I keep debating between live rock and cured rock. Thought about dry rock, but that takes a long time to cycle, but it's easier to create the aqua-scape outside the tank...see, there I go again:o

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I thought you did a "thing" last week. I have a vision in my head, but putting it to fruition is a whole other thing. And I keep debating between live rock and cured rock. Thought about dry rock, but that takes a long time to cycle, but it's easier to create the aqua-scape outside the tank...see, there I go again:o

That's what I thought too.

• Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021