Top Shelf Aquatics

Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021

Pjanssen

FTS 6/2/19

P1010037.thumb.jpeg.ef97eda8d0e1522fb11405443e8d9741.jpeg

FTS 8/18/17

35816565224_100bc2ed25.jpgIM 14 contest tank by Penny, on Flickr

It looks like everyone else has started something here, so I figured I'd better jump on board. I know it's already been done (what hasn't?), but I'm going with the inspiration from my own backyard and doing a Florida Biotope. I've been talking about it off and on for a while now, and even though I always figured my next tank would be a bigger tank, This is a good excuse to get the ball rolling. Going through some photos of some dives, and planning another dive as soon as the seas cooperate on  day that I can go. 

Equipment:

• Nuvo Fusion Nano Peninsula Aquarium
  • Current USA Marine Pro LED Light
  •  
  • Hydor nano 50 watt heater
  • IM AUQA gadget spin stream return nozzle
  • IM DIY AUQA gadget self leveling mat-Doesn't work!
  • Aquamaxx reef welder epoxy-purple
  • Smart ATO micro automatic top off system
  • Advanced acrylic 2 gallon black ATO reservoir
  • Custom made stand and light valance
  • DIY screen top with clear 1/4 inch UV netting and IM lid clips 

and screening frame from Home Depot 

• 4 pounds KP Aquatics florida live rock
  • 10 pounds CaribSea Arag-Alive Bimini Pink sand (Bimini is an island off the coast of Ft. Lauderdale, in keeping with my Florida theme.
  • 6 pounds cured caribbean live rock

Livestock as of 5/21/2017-All from KP Aquatics, except as noted:

• Purple angular whip                                                         $10.00
  • Knobby sea rod                                                               $10.00
  • Purple feather gorgonian                                                  $19.00
  • spiny orange sea rod                                                        $10.00
  • yellow sea whip                                                               $10.00
  • Sea Pansy                                                                         $6.50
  • Toadstool algae X3                                                           $16.50
  • Mermans shaving brush X2                                                 $5.50
  • Rainbow Ricordea with                                                     $16.00

purple edges

• Florescent green Ricordea                                                $13.50
  • Yellow Ricordea-from LFS                                                 $10.00
  • RFA baby from LFS                                                          $15.00
  • Assorted Florida Zoanthids on rock from LFS                      $20.00
  • Orange Ricordea from LFS                                               $19.00
  • Mangrove stalk-buy 1 get 1                                                $7.50
  • pine cone algae                                                             $12.00
  • red mangrove sampler pack                                            $10.00

_________

$210.50

Livestock:

• Mated pair Neon Gobies                                                  $30.00
  • 2 masked goby                                                              $20.00
  • yellow headed jawfish RIP                                              $14.50
  • 2 anemone shrimp                                                         $28.00
  • Mated pair Gold Coral Banded shrimp                               $25.00
  • White flame scallop                                                          $6.00

–––––––––

$123.50

Clean up crew

• emerald crab                                                                  $3.50
  • nassarius snails  x 4                                                        $8.00
  • Astrea snails  x 6                                                            $6.00
  • Peppermint shrimp 3.5 x 2                                               $7.00
  • dwarf ceriths from other tank                                           $1.00 ?:unsure:
  • stocky cerith x 2                                                             $1.50
  • Fl cerith x 4                                                                    $1.20

–––––––––––

$28.20

Total livestock as of 6/27/17                                                     $362.20

• Like 10
50 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

It looks like everyone else has started something here, so I figured I'd better jump on board. I know it's already been done (what hasn't?), but I'm going with the inspiration from my own backyard and doing a Florida Biotope. I've been talking about it off and on for a while now, and even though I always figured my next tank would be a bigger tank, This is a good excuse to get the ball rolling. Going through some photos of some dives, and planning another dive as soon as the seas cooperate on  day that I can go. 

I love our state :)  I have been to almost all 50 states and lived in 4 and Florida is always my favorite.   I mean, I was raised here, so i am probably biased.  BTW, I might be in your neck of the woods if i can persuade hubby to let me take lessons at Sons of the Wind when they come to winter in palm city.  I envy you for being in the dressage heaven of Florida...

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

I love our state :)  I have been to almost all 50 states and lived in 4 and Florida is always my favorite.   I mean, I was raised here, so i am probably biased.  BTW, I might be in your neck of the woods if i can persuade hubby to let me take lessons at Sons of the Wind when they come to winter in palm city.  I envy you for being in the dressage heaven of Florida...

Florida is great, especially under the sea! I do love the mountains though, and given the opportunity would probably move to the Rockies. I'm not sure what Sons of the Wind is, but Palm City is about 45-60 minutes north of me. would love to meet up with you if you go. Are you still planning to go to Orlando? O booked a room, but not sure if I'm going.

3 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Florida is great, especially under the sea! I do love the mountains though, and given the opportunity would probably move to the Rockies. I'm not sure what Sons of the Wind is, but Palm City is about 45-60 minutes north of me. would love to meet up with you if you go. Are you still planning to go to Orlando? O booked a room, but not sure if I'm going.

Sons of the Wind is a classical dressage barn that breeds, sells, and trains Lusitanos with dressage master Vitor Silva.  Oh how I would love to own one of their horses and ride under Vitor's instruction! I would love to meet up if we go. :)

I lived in Denver and it is beautiful, but the sea calls to me too strongly and I was terribly homesick for the beach and rivers familiar to me.  I also got tired of snow the first two weeks of winter every year. lol  I did learn what all the hullabaloo for fall is though.  It is an awesome season in the mountains. 

We are still planning on going to reef a palooza.  We are going Saturday.  My mom is watching the kids for the day.  We also need to go to ikea and bass pro while we're there.  Hubby needs a desk and I need some sand spikes for surf fishing.  You should totally go.  After all, we need stuff for the new tanks!

I have lived in Denver twice and S. Florida once (Hollywood) and I'd choose the Rockies anyday. In fact, they're calling me hardcore right now.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Tank Talk.....

• Like 3

Happened upon a LFS today by accident, so went in. It is owned and run by a marine biologist and his wife. In the aquarium business for 30+ years. Not much in the way of corals, but some of the healthiest and nicest looking fish I've seen in a store. Almost came home with a long nose hawkfish and a pom pom crab. I held off in an effort to stay focused on the task at hand -14 gal Florida Biotope.  When I mentioned to the wife about building a Florida Biotope, Boy, did I get an earful!! "You can't harvest corals from Florida, it's against the law, and for good reason...:rant:." But, but, but...I'm not going to put any illegal corals in it, I promise. After telling me her life story and how she remembers when these waters were perfect, she softened and was very eager to help, pulling out old fish and invertebrate books identifying Atlantic species. An hour and a half later, with hubby impatiently tapping foot, I left feeling like Jan and I had bonded just a little. 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

Happened upon a LFS today by accident, so went in. It is owned and run by a marine biologist and his wife. In the aquarium business for 30+ years. Not much in the way of corals, but some of the healthiest and nicest looking fish I've seen in a store. Almost came home with a long nose hawkfish and a pom pom crab. I held off in an effort to stay focused on the task at hand -14 gal Florida Biotope.  When I mentioned to the wife about building a Florida Biotope, Boy, did I get an earful!! "You can't harvest corals from Florida, it's against the law, and for good reason...:rant:." But, but, but...I'm not going to put any illegal corals in it, I promise. After telling me her life story and how she remembers when these waters were perfect, she softened and was very eager to help, pulling out old fish and invertebrate books identifying Atlantic species. An hour and a half later, with hubby impatiently tapping foot, I left feeling like Jan and I had bonded just a little. 

lol  Why would an LFS owner even think that??  That's like an OB/GYN not knowing where babies come from...

• Like 1

Okay, So I'm learning why no-one does a Florida Biotope-So limiting. When I dive our beautiful reefs, I'm at peace. I see large colonies of purple sea fans. Giant brain and  star corals. Staghorn Corals.  Barrel sponges big enough to sit in and vase sponges housings dozens of pretty little fishes. I can use none of these-They belong to the Atlantic! Most of the really pretty RFA's are from indonesia. Most of the St. Thomas bubble mushrooms are brown and UGLY (sorry, no offense to the coralmorphs). I'm left with a few ricordea, some meh zoas, and some sea whips. I do have a couple options for fish, but most of them will out grow this tank in no time.

Sooooo...Do I keep with my original idea and see what I can do, or do I move on to something else?

3 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Okay, So I'm learning why no-one does a Florida Biotope-So limiting. When I dive our beautiful reefs, I'm at peace. I see large colonies of purple sea fans. Giant brain and  star corals. Staghorn Corals.  Barrel sponges big enough to sit in and vase sponges housings dozens of pretty little fishes. I can use none of these-They belong to the Atlantic! Most of the really pretty RFA's are from indonesia. Most of the St. Thomas bubble mushrooms are brown and UGLY (sorry, no offense to the coralmorphs). I'm left with a few ricordea, some meh zoas, and some sea whips. I do have a couple options for fish, but most of them will out grow this tank in no time.

Sooooo...Do I keep with my original idea and see what I can do, or do I move on to something else?

Florida is in the atlantic... at least a portion of it.  and your portion anf my portion specifically.   STILL COUNTS! :D

KP is in Florida and look at all the gorgonians they have. I love the Florida rics also and is there suck a thing as a meh zoa :lol:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, spectra said:

KP is in Florida and look at all the gorgonians they have. I love the Florida rics also and is there suck a thing as a meh zoa :lol:

Yes, I've been looking at and talking with Phillip at KP. I thought the same thing about Zoas, I love them. But upon seeing them a few Florida ones in person...Gorgonias are beautiful, but not all of theirs are Florida exclusive- I'd have to broaden my biotope to all of the caribbean. An option to be sure.

36 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Use staghorn and sea fans and brain corals.  The Atlantic is still Florida.

LOL. It's illegal to harvest these corals, plus, as I said, they are massive.

Maybe i can poach some loggerhead sea turtle eggs and put in there. SHHHHHH. Do't tell anyone :blink:

2 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

You could do a mangrove Florida tank. 

Yep, part of the original plan. 

Is the mandarin in your avatar yours? She's beautiful

6 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

1st, It is illegal to harvest these corals. 2nd, they are massive.

Yes, I've been looking at and talking with Phillip at KP. I thought the same thing about Zoas, I love them. But upon seeing them a few Florida ones in person...Gorgonias are beautiful, but not all of theirs are Florida exclusive- I'd have to broaden my biotope to all of the caribbean. An option to be sure.

LOL. It's illegal to harvest these corals, plus, as I said, they are massive.

I didnt mean collect them yourself.  lol  There are probably strains in captivity.  

6 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

I didnt mean collect them yourself.  lol  There are probably strains in captivity.  

Whew! Glad you didn't think I should take it from the reef. These corals haven't been aquaculture as far as I can find. It has been illegal to harvest them for almost 35 years. Really though, One of the most impressive thing about our reefs is the massiveness of the corals that do exist. They would not work in even the largest of home aquaria. Color comes from the beautiful fish that inhabit the reefs-Parrot fish, angels, butterfly, moray and spotted eels. Lot's of blends and gobies too, so I have options there.

24 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

You could do a mangrove Florida tank. 

mangroves take a while to grow.  Whats his face's tank is amazing and he's been growing his mangroves for several months now.

4 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Whew! Glad you didn't think I should take it from the reef. These corals haven't been aquaculture as far as I can find. It has been illegal to harvest them for almost 35 years. Really though, One of the most impressive thing about our reefs is the massiveness of the corals that do exist. They would not work in even the largest of home aquaria. Color comes from the beautiful fish that inhabit the reefs-Parrot fish, angels, butterfly, moray and spotted eels. Lot's of blends and gobies too, so I have options there.

You can be super duper ambitious and beat all of us by doing a dwarf pony tank.  Thats a florida biotope :P

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

You can be super duper ambitious and beat all of us by doing a dwarf pony tank.  Thats a florida biotope :P

Considering this

7 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

mangroves take a while to grow.  Whats his face's tank is amazing and he's been growing his mangroves for several months now.

Who?

• Like 1
Just now, Pjanssen said:

Considering this

That would be totally amazeballs. I want ponies so bad but def don't have the time for any kind let alone dwarves.

and Brad is whats his face. and his tank is epic.

• Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021