Coral Vue Hydros

Clown

Minmay

How do clowns rest (sleep) with no anemone to host? I know that an anemone is not required for a clown and that clowns can possibly host another coral like a toadstool which i do have but my clown hasnt tried hosting it yet. 

It just sleeps where ever it wants where its swimming.

Not all clowns host, some host the corner of the tank, the powerheads etc.

Mine typically host the top back corners of the tank. Bob originally hosted the thermometer until Dot moved in. Now Dot hosts the thermometer, and sometimes she lets Bob come over, but sometimes he has to stay away. On those nights Bob hosts the magfloat in the other corner.

My clowns have been oblivious to the BTA I got them from the moment it entered the aquarium.

CronicReefer
3 hours ago, xAyanex said:

Mine typically host the top back corners of the tank. Bob originally hosted the thermometer until Dot moved in. Now Dot hosts the thermometer, and sometimes she lets Bob come over, but sometimes he has to stay away. On those nights Bob hosts the magfloat in the other corner.

My clowns have been oblivious to the BTA I got them from the moment it entered the aquarium.

Almost all species of clowns do not host BTAs in the wild. This is why many times when someone puts a BTA in an aquarium, clowns just completely ignore it. Your clowns may decide to acclimate themselves by biting and chewing at the anemones tentacles (it can be quite a destructive process for the anemone). If you see them start doing this then you know they will begin hosting it soon.

I would love to get an anemone but my tank is still too new but I am hoping that my clown (Elvis) will notice my toadstool one day. I want to get a hammer but i'll wait til my tank and myself is more experienced

CronicReefer
1 hour ago, Minmay said:

I would love to get an anemone but my tank is still too new but I am hoping that my clown (Elvis) will notice my toadstool one day. I want to get a hammer but i'll wait til my tank and myself is more experienced

Anemones get big so keep in mind to save a lot of space for it. Mine has grown to be about 6" across its oral disk, from only 3", in about 10 months, and the tentacles are easily 5" long. To answer your original question, I've seen a lot of clownfish hosting goniopora corals, more than any others. You could try one of those but it needs to be quite large so the clowns don't damage it.

Yes, I know I wouldnt be able to keep one until i get a larger tank. I've read online/forums that clowns if hosting other coral besides anemone that it ends up killing the coral because its so rough. I hope when Elvis, if he ever desides to host my toadstool that he wont kill it. 

You don't want it hosting leathers. The clown will irritate the leather which will never open up, it will wax over continuously.

Hammers and frogspawn are easy corals.

7 hours ago, Clown79 said:

You don't want it hosting leathers. The clown will irritate the leather which will never open up, it will wax over continuously.

Hammers and frogspawn are easy corals.

Oooo I didnt know that. Thank u for the info. I love how hammers look..I want a gold one. 

Ya, leathers get irritated pretty easily. My old clowns hosted my leather and it was always peeved, it never looked good again.

Hammers are very easy as well as frogspawn. My clowns live in my frogspawn and rarely leave it.

15 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Ya, leathers get irritated pretty easily. My old clowns hosted my leather and it was always peeved, it never looked good again.

Hammers are very easy as well as frogspawn. My clowns live in my frogspawn and rarely leave it.

Did it take long for your clown to host your frogspawn?

My female never bothered with it until the male I added started going in it. I added him at the same time so within 2 weeks she was in it.

They are all different, theres no guarantee that they will host anything.

I've had clowns that liked powerheads.

I put a BTA in my 6 month old IM 20 fusion. It was tiny at the time. Now I have 4 or maybe 5. They grow and split fast. My black ice clown loves them now. One day I will pull out there live rock and try to remove a fw of them. He keeps moving from one to another to get comfortable at night.

10 hours ago, Clown79 said:

My female never bothered with it until the male I added started going in it. I added him at the same time so within 2 weeks she was in it.

They are all different, theres no guarantee that they will host anything.

I've had clowns that liked powerheads.

My clown likes one side of the tank but he swims all over. When lights go out he floats up top side ways. Good thing I know some fish sleep this way cuz that would've freaked me out lol

I will I could have a BTA but my tank is small and Im a beginner ...What do u guys think of putting a fake Anemone in the tank? Its made for tanks, its soft gel. I originally bought it for my FW tank. Do u think that would be ok? At least he cant kill it lol

Fake anemone? A bit tacky lol. Think you can fool the clown? But you know what.. it's your piece of ocean! As long as it's safe material that won't leach poison into your system. I would have a look if you posted a picture.

Cheers

34 minutes ago, jambon said:

Fake anemone? A bit tacky lol. Think you can fool the clown? But you know what.. it's your piece of ocean! As long as it's safe material that won't leach poison into your system. I would have a look if you posted a picture.

Cheers

Haha you are right it is tacky lol. I just feel so bad for my clown to have nothing to sleep on. O well. One day I'll upgrade to a larger tank to properly give anemone space to live but until then Elvis (my clown) will just have to float up top when sleeping lol

Archived