Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs

SeaFurn

Rocks arrived yesterday! They look great...but there is not a lot of room in that tank.  May have to rethink my plan a bit. :(

• Like 4

Can you break some of the rocks up to rescape?  Or you can take out what doesn't fit and stick in a bucket for now.

On 5/3/2017 at 9:34 AM, lkoechle said:

a mix of vinegar and water.  it helps remove the manufacturing oils and cuts "break in" time.  I kind of treat it with an "old wives tales" mentality.   sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesnt.  Doesnt hurt to try.

either way it does clean your pump.

I'm giving the vinegar trick a try! 

4 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Can you break some of the rocks up to rescape?  Or you can take out what doesn't fit and stick in a bucket for now.

So I've had two scaping ideas for this contest still floating around in my head - one so simple you'd laugh and one more complicated (yes, I'm being elusive).  And after an hour or so scaping and rescaping I finally settled on one that I'm happy with. I got some Reef Welder that @urbaneks mentioned in his thread and a bit of that is gonna do the trick.  Gotta love this forum for tips like that!

• Like 4

What kind of rock did you go with?

I agree on not much room.......if you had one simple good looking rock I think that would work.

I outlined a 16x12 area on a piece of plywood and played with rocks to :lol: oh the things we do........

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, spectra said:

What kind of rock did you go with?

I agree on not much room.......if you had one simple good looking rock I think that would work.

It's cured live rock and it looks awesome! @ReefNewby82 hooked me up! More on that once we get started. 

One rock! I think you're onto

me Spectra!

I wasn't sure how long I could have the rocks out of water so I was continually dipping them back in the bucket...had water everywhere! 

• Like 2
Coral_chef

That's why I haven't played with the aquascape to much yet. Don't want to kill off bacteria while they are out of the water 

• Like 1
Weetabix7
8 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

That's why I haven't played with the aquascape to much yet. Don't want to kill off bacteria while they are out of the water 

Should be okay as long as it stays damp. 

Got some rock myself today, just damp at the moment, waiting for me to revive my brain with coffee so I can get it in the tank the right way. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

It's cured live rock and it looks awesome! @ReefNewby82 hooked me up! More on that once we get started. 

One rock! I think you're onto

me Spectra!

I wasn't sure how long I could have the rocks out of water so I was continually dipping them back in the bucket...had water everywhere! 

When I did my 20 I glued a few together and it worked out great......

Rock will be good just like Weety said just keep it moist ;) 

• Like 1

The vinegar trick and a weekend of running the pump has not helped quiet that thing down so gave @Marine Depot a call this morning.  They said I had done as much trouble shooting as I could do so they'll contact IM and take care of it.  Not details on when a replacement will be here yet but the sooner the better.  You know it's bad when it's louder than the air pump and bubbling sound coming from the reefbowl.  Hopefully the next one will be quieter.  fingerscrossed   Thanks for taking care of this @Marine Depot!

• Like 5
Mariaface
59 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

The vinegar trick and a weekend of running the pump has not helped quiet that thing down so gave @Marine Depot a call this morning.  They said I had done as much trouble shooting as I could do so they'll contact IM and take care of it.  Not details on when a replacement will be here yet but the sooner the better.  You know it's bad when it's louder than the air pump and bubbling sound coming from the reefbowl.  Hopefully the next one will be quieter.  fingerscrossed   Thanks for taking care of this @Marine Depot!

I actually had to unplug mine the last couple of days, since I could hear it downstairs across the house without the door open.. :unsure: Gonna do some troubleshooting of my own in the next day or two; we'll see!

• Like 1

Just waiting on the sticky....

IMG_9303.thumb.JPG.3333e656b9a7829077c7d42bd20f5a4e.JPG

But I have some work to do on the write up on the plan still.

Have 10 gallons already mixed and will make another 4 sometime tomorrow but probably won't be able to get it wet until after work. 

• Like 4
On 4/23/2017 at 7:39 PM, Pjanssen said:

My husband wants a mandarine in the worst way! He needs to start doing his own research and build his own tank!

Just think, you can be the 3rd couple in this contest, except you'll be competing with each other too.... HE NEEDS TO GET A TANK!

On 4/23/2017 at 7:49 PM, SeaFurn said:

They are one my most favs too. Such a beautiful fish. But I've read way too much on N-R that screams STAY AWAY - at least for me!!  If I ever did get one it would have to already be trained.  

Naw, don't be scared away, just be informed. I love these fish and have decided not to keep another one unless they had their own tank and gentler flow. My dual gyres are more salmon upstream than mesmerizing lagoon.

On 5/3/2017 at 7:47 AM, natalia_la_loca said:

I would complain to MD about the pump noise if I were you. I thought part of the selling point of this new line of Fusion tanks was that the pumps would be good enough not to need replacing.

For the contest we can go direct to Innovative Marine for a pump replacement. 

On 5/3/2017 at 6:25 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Maybe the contest should be whose pump is the loudest lol.

This. :)

• Like 1

Hopefully you shimmed your light to..............it wasn't level either :lol: I am going to police the shit out of the not level lights...................

Nice T shirt I got one to but I think it may have fit me when I was 10 :unsure: 

Hurry up on the pics want to see the rock work ;)

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, spectra said:

Hopefully you shimmed your light to..............it wasn't level either :lol: I am going to police the shit out of the not level lights...................

Police me, I dare you! 

The shim made it fall over so I gave up :P 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, spectra said:

No shim! It's pretty level officer.  And by rock work - you mean ONE ROCK.  You called it a couple of days ago.

FTS 5/10/17 - a couple of hours after getting the tank wet.

IMG_9318.thumb.JPG.51ade7ccad13fa3ec59bc178c2032d71.JPG

First post updated with THE PLAN btw.  (Page 1 that is.)

• Like 9

I like the minimalistic rock scape...........lots of room for corals ;) 

I have been re hashing my plan also.......

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SeaFurn said:

Lots of room for RFAs! 

I did that already and well the 500 is going to go quick :lol:

I actually have 1 RFA left in my 100.......it was one of the first ones I purchased and couldn't let it go.

• Like 2
  • SeaFurn changed the title to SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs