Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs

SeaFurn

The RFAs have looked full and open all week and they've grabbed some mysis during fish feedings. Feeling a little better about the situation. If they make it a couple more weeks I'll feel like I've turned a corner. 

And now some exciting news! Another clown! New one is on top. No problems between the two so far. IMG_0134.thumb.JPG.371381f24728d7b62771eb9134d3e463.JPG

• Like 7

tank looks like its really shaping up. Noticeable growth on the gsp. glad you got the rfa's finally surviving-that was a rough patch. cute clowns. i introduced a new clown to my 29 after having just 1 for several years-they are getting along great, although the older larger clown is definitely the dominate one

• Like 2
  • SeaFurn changed the title to SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank-Clowns!
20 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

tank looks like its really shaping up. Noticeable growth on the gsp. glad you got the rfa's finally surviving-that was a rough patch. cute clowns. i introduced a new clown to my 29 after having just 1 for several years-they are getting along great, although the older larger clown is definitely the dominate one

Thanks! I'm feeling a little more relaxed with the tank right at the moment and it's been nice to walk into the room it's in and see happy RFA's and a fish bobbing around - now two!

The GSP has finally taken off.  At one point early on I didn't think I'd get even that much coverage.  I've got one little tiny piece (a polyp or two) that came unglued (you can see in the pic above, below the clowns) and after mounting that one then it's up to nature to fill in the rest.  I'm going to try and keep it so just the top of the rock is covered.  I wonder if clowns have ever hosted in GSP??

I am going to hold off on getting any more RFA's until after the contest is over but I really do want some more.  

I've been following @FlowerMama 's nursery and @reefhound 's grow out tank and would love to have a tank full of babies some day.

The clown I got today is slightly bigger than the one I got a few weeks ago, which wasn't planned, but they are both still really really small.  I think the new one will be the dominate one though.   

• Like 5
2 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

The RFAs have looked full and open all week and they've grabbed some mysis during fish feedings. Feeling a little better about the situation. If they make it a couple more weeks I'll feel like I've turned a corner. 

And now some exciting news! Another clown! New one is on top. No problems between the two so far. IMG_0134.thumb.JPG.371381f24728d7b62771eb9134d3e463.JPG

So happy to see good things happening for you, it really does look like this tank is turning a corner!! :happydance:

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

So happy to see good things happening for you, it really does look like this tank is turning a corner!! :happydance:

Thanks! fingerscrossed

Your GSP has kicked into high gear! Have been taking progression shots of just that and will try to get it posted before the contest is over. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, spectra said:

Tank looks good! Hell I haven't updated my thread since week 3 I think :lol: who has time for that..................

Thanks! Yours looks good too! 

Yeah there's not a lot of time for sure. I promised myself in doing this that I'd try to keep it updated as much as possible but the weeks fly by. Can't believe there's only 3 and a half weeks left until we are at 100 days!

Pump update-so I have been noticing my pump seemed a little quieter and also that the flow inside the tank was much calmer recently than I remembered. 

So I pulled it out this weekend during the water change for a cleaning and found 4 dwarf ceriths and a pancake of chaeto sucked up agianst the intake! No wonder!

After the cleaning and reinstall the grinding noise and the flow is back with a vengeance. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Tank looks great. I hope the RFA's stay happy. The second clown is a nice addition. They are so much more active when there is 2 of them. 

I was amazed at how the first one just came to life and started cruising the entire tank when the second one was added.  He's laying a bit low now as there's some posturing going on between them! It's interesting to watch.

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Nice FTS!  I'm glad that you got those fireworms out!  Happy RFA's :) 

This is more like I had it pictured from the very beginning - but with a lot more RFA's!

• Like 3

So my smaller porcelain crab molted last night or today which is good...but...as I was getting it out of the tank it got loose and landed right in the middle of the biggest green RFA! OMG, that nem closed up on it so fast that the crab itself almost got caught up too.

After about 10 minutes the RFA opened up again.

So my question - can an RFA digest an entire crab shell??

I'm guessing it's not a problem. 

I'm not sure what I could do about it now anyway. 

Besides corraline spots, there seems to be green spots showing up on the side of the tank - but only on the black panel, not the clear glass. Can you help me ID this? 

IMG_0183.PNG.7aacf9acecf0c19d30602d890f1ab697.PNG

FTS #12 - Sunset ambient light along with Current Orbit Marine Pro lights ramping down to blue on Sunday. IMG_0236.thumb.JPG.021668b7d1f0744aed756da5e2fe759a.JPG

IMG_0269.thumb.JPG.5995b9385cd123a9b07a9d3ab44c90ac.JPG

Still need to come up with some names for these two!

IMG_0270.thumb.JPG.fd8021436c9f98f8ab504be508bbe589.JPG

A little one clawed crab love. I think it's getting ready to molt again.

IMG_0271.thumb.JPG.c4962ee568f11007f9dbbbb8e690b367.JPG

• Like 6
  • SeaFurn changed the title to SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank
  • SeaFurn changed the title to SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs