ReefCleaners.org

SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs

SeaFurn

2 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Sometimes anemones just decide to go on walk about as the Aussies say. I have a Condylactus anemone that will stay put for months, then one day it'll wander around and go right back to where it was. You tell me if that makes any sense?

No sense at all!  I guess it came to realize the water isn't always wetter on the other side!!  :lol:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

It looks healthy in this pic. 

My RFA, which has been healthy from the start, goes walkabout around once a week now I'd say.

Yeah, it looks really healthy to me. I probably just moved the rock it was on ever so slightly during the rock dipping extravaganza and water change - or I adjusted the flow nozzle slightly and it's like I'm outta here....   it's headed down the rock although it slowed its progress when the lights came on. 

1 hour ago, lkoechle said:

I didnt see a picture, but I havr had success with capturing fire worms with dead shrimp in panty hose.  their birstles get caught when climbing on the panty hose and I used a cup to scoop the area around it out so it didnt escape.

Good idea - now if I had some panty hose.  Think those party organza bags I put my carbon in would work?  Kinda does the same thing...

I never had fireworms in my tank, but used to have a moderate number of bristleworms.  Dunno exactly, I never opted to put the distinction to the taste or touch test. ;)

Then I added a handful of mini-brittle stars for detritus clean-up (local store has a small clump of chaeto for sale that looked to be a 50:50 ratio of brittles to actual macroalgae) - within months they'd outcompeted the worms for food... haven't seen one in my tank for the last 3 years.  Check around (Atlanta Aqarium used to have some), and I may be able to rusle up a few when I do my macroalgae pruning in the next week or two.

I'm ever the optimist... that trekking anemone doesn't seem to show any signs of being mauled like the last two.  I also may have an old bristleworm trap you;re welcome to borrow... it worked well enough before I lucked out on the starfish. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, BulkRate said:

I never had fireworms in my tank, but used to have a moderate number of bristleworms.  Dunno exactly, I never opted to put the distinction to the taste or touch test. ;)

Then I added a handful of mini-brittle stars for detritus clean-up (local store has a small clump of chaeto for sale that looked to be a 50:50 ratio of brittles to actual macroalgae) - within months they'd outcompeted the worms for food... haven't seen one in my tank for the last 3 years.  Check around (Atlanta Aqarium used to have some), and I may be able to rusle up a few when I do my macroalgae pruning in the next week or two.

I'm ever the optimist... that trekking anemone doesn't seem to show any signs of being mauled like the last two.  I also may have an old bristleworm trap you;re welcome to borrow... it worked well enough before I lucked out on the starfish. 

Cool - let me know if you round any up next time you do your pruning. I'm going to try this baiting tonight - I'll let everyone know how it goes. 

I do think the moving RFA is healthy - but the others appeared exactly the same at first.  This one has never been on the sand so that's why I'm a little more optimistic that it's just something they do as everyone noted. 

Fire worm hunting last night. The bait attracted a gang of snails but no sign of any worms throughout the night. Removed the bait bag this morning. Should I try it again? 

ECE452B0-498E-4801-88E0-B6EE25D3EE73.thumb.JPG.fdc723b81522830cb3bee71ef3c22369.JPG

The RFA that was on the move yesterday has travelled back up the rock and sits about a half an inch from where it started. We'll see if it stays put or needs a little more exercise today. 

• Like 4
23 hours ago, lkoechle said:

I didnt see a picture, but I havr had success with capturing fire worms with dead shrimp in panty hose.  their birstles get caught when climbing on the panty hose and I used a cup to scoop the area around it out so it didnt escape.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. The worms get caught and it works well! 

• Like 1

Oooh I missed all the excitement while I've been at work the last few days!  Glad to have a good idea what may have happened to the RFAs!

On 7/16/2017 at 1:49 PM, SeaFurn said:

Yeah, it looks really healthy to me. I probably just moved the rock it was on ever so slightly during the rock dipping extravaganza and water change - or I adjusted the flow nozzle slightly and it's like I'm outta here....   it's headed down the rock although it slowed its progress when the lights came on. 

Good idea - now if I had some panty hose.  Think those party organza bags I put my carbon in would work?  Kinda does the same thing...

You can usually find little plastic "eggs" of pantyhose at Walmart or Dollar General or places like that for under a dollar.

So last night just as the lights went out I spotted another fire worm come out of the rock (arrow shows where it's hiding) that the weekend moving RFA is on. That may explain the moving.

So I put another bait bag in the tank near the rock. The worm came out but didn't stick to the bag as I had hoped and it was fast as lightning getting back into a hole in the rock each time I went to capture it.  :rant:

So I think my best option now is to dip the rock. 

My question is would it be ok to take the rock out with the RFA still on it and dip it in RODI up to where the nem is? Or do I need to get the nem off and dip it completely? I've read that you can get RFAs to detach using ice (RODI). So what's worse - taking it out of the tank for a brief period or getting it off the rock? 

IMG_0081.PNG.bf43bc669c26aed40723edf5f1d8d0e4.PNG

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

So last night just as the lights went out I spotted another fire worm come out of the rock (arrow shows where it's hiding) that the weekend moving RFA is on. That may explain the moving.

So I put another bait bag in the tank near the rock. The worm came out but didn't stick to the bag as I had hoped and it was fast as lightning getting back into a hole in the rock each time I went to capture it.  :rant:

So I think my best option now is to dip the rock. 

My question is would it be ok to take the rock out with the RFA still on it and dip it in RODI up to where the nem is? Or do I need to get the nem off and dip it completely? I've read that you can get RFAs to detach using ice (RODI). So what's worse - taking it out of the tank for a brief period or getting it off the rock? 

IMG_0081.PNG.bf43bc669c26aed40723edf5f1d8d0e4.PNG

I'd say pull the rock out with RFA still attached and dip in RO water up to where Nem is attached. 

I've had my RFA out of the water for up to 10 mins with no problems. 

Don't submerge RFA in RO water.

• Like 6

Woah just caught up on this thread, I'm sorry about your RFA troubles :( My RFA is on the sandbed and seems to be doing pretty well but I'm not sure if its foot is in the sand or attached to the rock its next to.

• Like 1

Personally, I'd relocate the RFA and treat the rock as its own issue - that worm looks huge.  Couple easy ways to do it:

1.  Quick & dirty, but have never lost a nem doing it - cut the pumps & put on a powder-free nitrile glove.  With a tightly gloved fingernail, GENTLY scrape one side of the foot repeatedly over a few minutes - you're not trying to pry it off the rock in one go, just to irritate it enough for it to start prepping to move.  Once the foot starts to let go, you'll know.  Put it on another rock an give it 10-20 minutes without flow to anchor itself.

2.  More prep - freeze a few straws of RODI, cut the pumps and touch them gently to the foot of the anemone to make it uncomfortable enough to move.  I use this approach on ones that have found a deep crevice such that a fingertip can;t reach 'em.

• Like 2
StinkyBunny

If you have access to a syringe draw up some RO and squirt it in the hole. You could use a pipette or a feeding syringe to do this too. Sometimes that will flush out an unwanted critter.

• Like 1

Alright, I'll play along with remedies.  I discovered this one while treating a massive algae outbreak.  I never fully got rid of the algae, but I did manage to purge the rocks of all worms, and pods.  The pods will make their way back onto the rock, while the worms won't reproduce fast enough.

Do a water change, saving a couple of gallons of tank water in a five gallon bucket.  Now (using another 5 gallon bucket) make a couple more gallons of saltwater with hydrogen peroxide instead of RO/DI.  You'll want to wear some gloves for this, especially if you have any cuts or scrapes on your hands.  Dip the rock in the salty peroxide solution for a few seconds, swishing it around a bit.  Then take it out and let the water drain back into the bucket for a few seconds (this allows some time for additional oxidation).  Finally, put the rock in the bucket of used tank water and swish it around again.  You can let it sit in this bucket for a few minutes to help purge the peroxide.

While the rock is in the rinsing bucket, take a turkey baster and blow water into holes to evacuate the unwanted worms.  Note, this works for bristle worms; I'm assuming that it will work with fire worms too.  You can actually dip the RFA in the peroxide solution too.  It will piss it off for awhile, and might turn inside out for awhile, but they seem to hold up to this harsh treatment.  However, if I were you, I'd try to keep the RFA out of the solution and just dip the rest of the rock.  If a little gets on the anemone, no problem.

Give it a try, you'll be surprised at all the stuff that comes off the rock.

• Like 3

Thanks for the advice, tips and remedies everyone!

So I was feeling a bit impatient tonight and I decided I was just going to try to get the worm by taking the rock out while the RFA was on it. I'm happy to report success! :ninja::naughtydance:

The dip. I let the rock sit in the RODI for about five minutes. Then I took it out and starting inspecting it. Down in a crevice I saw the worm curled up and not moving. I grabbed tweezers and pulled it out. It was clearly stunned from the RODI. 

IMG_0090.thumb.JPG.1ee758fc9cb4edfac49ca591d42d544d.JPG

The worm (two different pics). It was just over an inch long. 

IMG_0093.PNG.4fe2f3f32350c67f0fc806d94fb17ce0.PNGIMG_0095.PNG.2566fec676e88ca731c1809dd219fe36.PNG

The RFA after 5 minutes being back in the tank!

IMG_0092.thumb.JPG.e4e815a85a5088eef9b11ad93674dd7c.JPG

I'm so relieved! 

So the only rocks I haven't dipped are the ones the other 3 are on but they've never moved. I sure hope there aren't any more worms but will be dilligent about keeping my eye open for them. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, jesseatam said:

Woah just caught up on this thread, I'm sorry about your RFA troubles :( My RFA is on the sandbed and seems to be doing pretty well but I'm not sure if its foot is in the sand or attached to the rock its next to.

Thanks. It's been a struggle but I'm learning a lot. Mine didn't really like the sand so had to put more rocks in the tank.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Thanks for the advice, tips and remedies everyone!

So I was feeling a bit impatient tonight and I decided I was just going to try to get the worm by taking the rock out while the RFA was on it. I'm happy to report success! :ninja::naughtydance:

The dip. I let the rock sit in the RODI for about five minutes. Then I took it out and starting inspecting it. Down in a crevice I saw the worm curled up and not moving. I grabbed tweezers and pulled it out. It was clearly stunned from the RODI. 

IMG_0090.thumb.JPG.1ee758fc9cb4edfac49ca591d42d544d.JPG

The worm (two different pics). It was just over an inch long. 

IMG_0093.PNG.4fe2f3f32350c67f0fc806d94fb17ce0.PNGIMG_0095.PNG.2566fec676e88ca731c1809dd219fe36.PNG

The RFA after 5 minutes being back in the tank!

IMG_0092.thumb.JPG.e4e815a85a5088eef9b11ad93674dd7c.JPG

I'm so relieved! 

So the only rocks I haven't dipped are the ones the other 3 are on but they've never moved. I sure hope there aren't any more worms but will be dilligent about keeping my eye open for them. 

@StinkyBunny, does that look like a Fireworm that he got out of the rock?

@SeaFurn, so glad you got this. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BulkRate said:

Personally, I'd relocate the RFA and treat the rock as its own issue - that worm looks huge.  Couple easy ways to do it:

1.  Quick & dirty, but have never lost a nem doing it - cut the pumps & put on a powder-free nitrile glove.  With a tightly gloved fingernail, GENTLY scrape one side of the foot repeatedly over a few minutes - you're not trying to pry it off the rock in one go, just to irritate it enough for it to start prepping to move.  Once the foot starts to let go, you'll know.  Put it on another rock an give it 10-20 minutes without flow to anchor itself.

2.  More prep - freeze a few straws of RODI, cut the pumps and touch them gently to the foot of the anemone to make it uncomfortable enough to move.  I use this approach on ones that have found a deep crevice such that a fingertip can;t reach 'em.

This is a great idea. I remember you telling me about the ice. I was just too stressed about this and wanted to get that rock in water tonight. 

I even about PM'd you last night to see about picking up that bristleworm trap! Glad that thing is outta there!

3 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

@StinkyBunny, does that look like a Fireworm that he got out of the rock?

@SeaFurn, so glad you got this. 

The pic isn't the best and it's hard see it but it looks a lot like the other with the tufts of bristles. 

If it isn't I still feel better about not having it in there. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Alright, I'll play along with remedies.  I discovered this one while treating a massive algae outbreak.  I never fully got rid of the algae, but I did manage to purge the rocks of all worms, and pods.  The pods will make their way back onto the rock, while the worms won't reproduce fast enough.

Do a water change, saving a couple of gallons of tank water in a five gallon bucket.  Now (using another 5 gallon bucket) make a couple more gallons of saltwater with hydrogen peroxide instead of RO/DI.  You'll want to wear some gloves for this, especially if you have any cuts or scrapes on your hands.  Dip the rock in the salty peroxide solution for a few seconds, swishing it around a bit.  Then take it out and let the water drain back into the bucket for a few seconds (this allows some time for additional oxidation).  Finally, put the rock in the bucket of used tank water and swish it around again.  You can let it sit in this bucket for a few minutes to help purge the peroxide.

While the rock is in the rinsing bucket, take a turkey baster and blow water into holes to evacuate the unwanted worms.  Note, this works for bristle worms; I'm assuming that it will work with fire worms too.  You can actually dip the RFA in the peroxide solution too.  It will piss it off for awhile, and might turn inside out for awhile, but they seem to hold up to this harsh treatment.  However, if I were you, I'd try to keep the RFA out of the solution and just dip the rest of the rock.  If a little gets on the anemone, no problem.

Give it a try, you'll be surprised at all the stuff that comes off the rock.

This is great! I was saving this as my last resort!

• Like 1
  • SeaFurn changed the title to SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs