Pod Your Reef

SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs

SeaFurn

The Reef Bowl turned 100 days old today so what better way to celebrate than by entering a 100 Days of Nanos Contest!!  I'll clearly be representing the noobs and am perfectly content having long shot odds at winning any prize.  Oh wait, I already won one!  Ok, that may be the only one, but I'm fine with that!  It will just be nice to have a fish...or not.  I have no idea what I'm going to do yet. 

58f812b91a4e7_Screenshot2017-04-19at9_16.46PM-Edited.thumb.png.ce2337816896eedd7dcb43d67752c84b.png

SeaFurn’s 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank

The Plan 
This is my first saltwater tank since I was a teenager back in the 80’s and it’s clear that so much has changed since then.  As such, I’m a newb again and that’s OK. I’ve joined a great group of people who love love love their reef tanks and are helpful and supportive.  So, I invite everyone over these next 100 days (and beyond) to freely advise, comment and help me be successful.  
The plan is to keep it simple.  As simple as it needs to be an no simpler. So simple, a newb could pull it off.   But I also want it to be striking. 
The theme of my contest tank is ROCK FLOWER GARDEN.

Inspiration For This Tank
Since I started reading threads on NR I’ve been taken with rock flower anemones and thought they were so colorful and awesome that I wanted a tank of them!    
@FlowerMama@kimberbee @gena among others have/have had some amazing RFAs (and RFA babies!) and have contributed to the obsession and I hope each of them keep their eye on me with this tank!

I also love the tank below and its simplicity - yes, it’s freshwater, but with the reef sand it got me thinking how I could do something similar in a reef tank.   

5913e28c25f5a_UrbanAquaria-23LitreTank-InitialSetup-04.jpg.59dec62e76cdd37eb4ca759faca42509.jpg

5913e29eac43b_UrbanAquaria-23LitreTank-InitialSetup-03.jpg.f05fbaffda47ec8cd1351f2113873b7e.jpg

5913e2b0d9b03_UrbanAquaria-23LitreTank-InitialSetup-02.jpg.8428620bf0b37fa9afbaf1316c47ccf4.jpg

Here’s a link to the Urban Aquaria page where I found this tank. Unfortunately, nothing more was posted after this. 

http://www.urbanaquaria.com/2013/03/23-litre-sand-tank.html

My vision for the contest tank - ROCK with its top covered with green/neon green star polyps and maybe some rainbow clove polyps (if I can find the right green ones), a GARDEN of amazingly colorful ROCK FLOWER anemones on the sand, some anemone shrimp and/or crabs, and a couple of bright colorful (newb-safe) active fish. Simple. Fingers crossed!

Special thanks to @Weetabix7 and @natalia_la_loca for guidance on this so far!

Tank:
Innovative Marine 14 Gallon NUVO Fusion Peninsula Aquarium 20”x11.8”x13"

Lighting:
Current USA Orbit Marine Pro LED

Filtration:
IM stock return pump. (211 GPH)  
Intank Floss Holder

Carbon

Planning rubble and cheato in second chamber - I ran it this way for about 6 months but found that flow through the chamber wasn't really fast enough and green slime algae was growing faster than the chaeto was.  

Live Rock:

Marco dried rock from a Premium Aquatics 20g office tank - Thanks @ReefNewby82

Live Sand:
CaribSea Special Grade

Circulation:
Jebao SW-2 (132-660 GPH) - never ended up using this.  The flow from the return was more than enough for the RFAs and the GSP didn't need any more either.

Heater:
Tetra 50 watt
Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 75 Watt

ATO:
Did manual top offs from May through December.  

AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro - love it!

Controller:
Inkbird ITC-308 - had to cover the probe with silicon as it had started rusting.

Inhabitants:

Fish:
Ocellaris clown fish pair

Inverts:
Rock Flower Anemones
Porcelain Anemone Crab - started off with a pair but lost one. 
Snails

Coral:
GSP
Clove Polyps - maybe

FTS 5/10/17 - A couple of hours after getting the tank wet

IMG_9318.thumb.JPG.852942aa2ffb72a05a380381bb6c41cc.JPG

• Like 15
  • SeaFurn changed the title to SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank
19 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

O-fish-ally following!

Acan hardly wait! :slap::blush::lol:

HAHA!!  I see what you did there!! 

I should have some packages when I get home!  :)

Delivery1.PNG.1abd45f4bc1aedc1107fd0b44ed1d895.PNG

• Like 7
3 hours ago, samnaz said:

When you figure out how to mount that Pro, please give the rest of us detailed instruction with photos!

Arm mounts are being provided for the Orbit Pro for free! Don't think anyone has received them yet.. For those who need one contact @metrokat via pm

On 4/21/2017 at 11:43 PM, Coral_chef said:

I think I have the trump card on representing the noobs!! But let the completion begin 

Yeah I just read you were thinking about trying a mandarin pair - on your first ever tank! You're noob insane!!If you pull that off I'll definitely be impressed. 

• Like 3

After I took the tank for a walk today....I found place for it. Not sure if I'll keep it this direction or not but it was a cool photo! 

Now if I can just decide what I'm going to put in it. Too many choices...gotta narrow it down and fast! 

IMG_9146.thumb.JPG.59bef5d3c8674b7d7a0bbbea9c76334c.JPG

• Like 7
11 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Yeah I just read you were thinking about trying a mandarin pair - on your first ever tank! You're noob insane!!If you pull that off I'll definitely be impressed. 

Thinking one, not a pair. 

But yeah I'm a little crazy. ?

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

My husband wants a mandarine in the worst way! He needs to start doing his own research and build his own tank!

They are one my most favs too. Such a beautiful fish. But I've read way too much on N-R that screams STAY AWAY - at least for me!!  If I ever did get one it would have to already be trained.  

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

They are one my most favs too. Such a beautiful fish. But I've read way too much on N-R that screams STAY AWAY - at least for me!!  If I ever did get one it would have to already be trained.  

A LFS had one yesterday that was trained to eat frozen mysis, we almost bit, but I have a pseudochromis that would probably terrorize it to death, so we walked.

• Like 2
  • SeaFurn changed the title to SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs