Top Shelf Aquatics

SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs

SeaFurn

Mariaface

Sicce syncra silent pumps have always been kind to me :wub: 

I had one noise issue but the retailer replaced that one, replacement only took a day to break in. Picked up a smaller pump at Reefapalooza 2016 because I forgot about tubing size, and now it's my mixing pump :P  

• Like 2
RotaryReef
On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:46 PM, lkoechle said:

Sicce's not a good replacemant IMO.  Stinky mentioned a brand I'm not familiar with that may be something.  

^Fixed

I love my Sicce 1.5. It took a week or so to break in but it is extremely quiet... No comparison to the stock pump.

• Like 3

I am just pointing out, I have had two and issues with both.  And that was about 2 to 3 months ago.  I entertained the idea of it being a bad batch and that may have been so, but it was a very frustrating experience. Especially with a pump so highly reviewed.  (which comes with a lot of people saying "its not possible" which is why I videoed the pumps) If I can find an alternative, thats what I will be using in the 14. I dont want to risk another batch of frustration again.  

• Like 2
coralcousins
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

Last night I pulled the pump completely out of the chamber and held it suspended in the tank itself so it wasn't touching anything - still was loud. Reseated the impeller - still was loud. Gripped the pump tightly underwater to minimize the vibration and that didn't help much either. And it's louder when it's in the chamber because the sound echoes more.  I think it's the pump itself and we are just going to have to put up with this for the length of the contest.  

Same here couldn't get it to quiet down. I ran the test over night to see if maybe it would fix it self but nope. I think it maybe the plastic shaft that's causing it to rattle loudly. Wonder how many contestants have tested the pump out. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, coralcousins said:

Same here couldn't get it to quiet down. I ran the test over night to see if maybe it would fix it self but nope. I think it maybe the plastic shaft that's causing it to rattle loudly. Wonder how many contestants have tested the pump out. 

I planning on doing that right now actually.  I am going to run it in vinegar for a few hours then keep running it until the contest starts to try and break it in. 

• Like 3
Coral_chef
14 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

I planning on doing that right now actually.  I am going to run it in vinegar for a few hours then keep running it until the contest starts to try and break it in. 

In straight vinegar?

what will that do?

13 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

In straight vinegar?

what will that do?

a mix of vinegar and water.  it helps remove the manufacturing oils and cuts "break in" time.  I kind of treat it with an "old wives tales" mentality.   sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesnt.  Doesnt hurt to try.

either way it does clean your pump.

• Like 1
Mariaface

My stock pump is also loud, and I have it 'leak testing for 24 hours' which I'll probably extend a couple of days if I hear it start to help :P 

• Like 5
Just now, Mariaface said:

My stock pump is also loud, and I have it 'leak testing for 24 hours' which I'll probably extend a couple of days if I hear it start to help :P 

I am running mine from now to may 10th then it will be down for like 3 minutes while I move it over. lol  I hope it helps. probably wont. I have really low expetations for return pumps now. lol

• Like 2
RotaryReef
Just now, lkoechle said:

I am running mine from now to may 10th then it will be down for like 3 minutes while I move it over. lol  I hope it helps. probably wont. I have really low expetations for return pumps now. lol

Is it bad I haven't even leak checked my tank yet let alone turn on the pump:mellow:

• Like 3
Mariaface
26 minutes ago, NanoSteve said:

Is it bad I haven't even leak checked my tank yet let alone turn on the pump:mellow:

Yes. :P  

• Like 1
Coral_chef
2 hours ago, Mariaface said:

Yes. :P  

I leak tested mine but didn't turn on the pump, who knows maybe I'll have a quiet one :P

• Like 1
10 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

I would complain to MD about the pump noise if I were you. I thought part of the selling point of this new line of Fusion tanks was that the pumps would be good enough not to need replacing.

Sounds like there's going to be enough of us that we can file a class action complaint with both IM and MD!

9 hours ago, lkoechle said:

a mix of vinegar and water.  it helps remove the manufacturing oils and cuts "break in" time.  I kind of treat it with an "old wives tales" mentality.   sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesnt.  Doesnt hurt to try.

either way it does clean your pump.

Will try that - can't hurt, right?

8 hours ago, NanoSteve said:

Nah....go ahead and wait a few more days-like until next Wednesday!  A form of handicapping to help us newbies out!! 

• Like 2

Love coming home to aquarium related packages! 

Let me guess - Current Orbit Marine PRO Mounting Arm!

Thanks Current USA

IMG_9233.thumb.JPG.526ce21402ffda7886f73262e614ce77.JPG

• Like 6
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

I know the common wisdom is to keep hands and ARMS out the tank but....

IMG_9234.thumb.JPG.5bf4b374af46f630616eb90ae4233bfc.JPG

Ok now lets see if you can put the rubiks cube together...............

• Like 1
  • SeaFurn changed the title to SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs