Innovative Marine Aquariums

SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs

SeaFurn

5 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Any suggestions as to how long I should run the new tank before moving the nems to it?

It can be done immediately.  However, I'd suggest that you give it at least enough time to have to scrape some algae from the glass.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, HiImSean said:

Awesome! I can't wait for mine to start breeding.

Some of yours might be mature enough by fall I bet.   It's cool for sure...but it can be frustrating trying to keep track of all the babies...let alone keeping them alive!  I think I'm pretty lucky and it's pretty amazing that I've still got 40 of them.   

Obsessed me was was hoping they would spawn again this spring but it hasn't happened and there's no sign it will.  I'm wondering if it has anything to do with water quality.  My tank has had way more nutrients in it than ever before with some GHA showing up that I've been pulling out each week.  It's not overwhelming the tank but I was hoping to keep it at bay.  

2 hours ago, seabass said:

It can be done immediately.  However, I'd suggest that you give it at least enough time to have to scrape some algae from the glass.

Do you think if I move the live rock with the nems attached rather than try to get them off that should seed the new tank with micro fauna?  I didn't really want to do that considering I'm paranoid about fire worms and sea spiders still....but I don't think I'm going to be able get them off safely. 

12 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Swap water back and forth between the 2 tanks so that the parameters are the same and you get some micro fauna in the new tank.

10 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Or throw some dirty floss from the old tank into the new one. Instant bacteria, plus bonus is some extra nutrients ;) 

Good ideas!  Thank you!  Seems so obvious but they didn't even cross my mind.

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2018 at 9:16 AM, SeaFurn said:

Good ideas!  Thank you!  Seems so obvious but they didn't even cross my mind.

I know it's a little late, but you can also bring over a little sand from the old tank to the new.