Innovative Marine Aquariums

Where the Wild Things Are: 100 Days (rezing the thread)

lkoechle

4 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

You mean like 3 cans short of a 6 pack as opposed to my 5 cans short of a 6 pack crazy? :D

Closer to just a few french fries short of a happy meal kind of crazy.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, spectra said:

Pretty simple really :lol: just one thing don't forget the water....................:rolleyes:

Does the water need to be wet?

• Like 3
Just now, Lula_Mae said:

Does the water need to be wet?

Yeah cause my water isnt very wet.  I didn't order from Stevie this time...

• Like 3
3 hours ago, NanoSteve said:

I'm going to engineer the crap out of your science!!!:D

I can't wait to see what that looks like... she never lets me engineer. Says that sort of thing is for when i go to work and not for her tanks.

So this is a quick side-by-side review of the Innovative Marine Media Basket vs the inTank Media basket.  Tank maintenance day gave a good opportunity to do some comparisons since the baskets are for both the IM 14 Peninsula and the IM 25 Lagoon. and the 14 is dry for the 100 days contest so I could take pictures of the baskets in the same tank.

So, the first thing almost anyone is going to notice is the price:

Innovative Marine Mediabasket: $24.99

inTank Innovative Marine Fusion Nano/Lagoon/Peninsula Media Basket: $42.99

So, the question a lot of people are going to have is: are inTank's baskets worth the cost? 

Well, I'm going to walk you through a comparison and then give you my personal opinion on the two products.

34363297685_727b1e66aa_c.jpg

In the first image, you can see both products have pretty much the same design.  IM has two more grooves so you can move the moveable shelf to a height you prefer. But you can see the IM basket is both narrower and shorter than inTank's.  

33552681763_00521b136d_c.jpg

In this image you can see the difference in acrylic.  The inTank acrylic is thicker and over all just has a much sturdier feel than IM.  A difference I noticed that I was not able to get good photos of is inTank is made of less individual pieces so there are less places for it to break or come apart (ie the back is one continuous piece while IM's is 2 different pieces).  I will not be surprised if I accidentally break the top of the IM basket at some point.

33521110834_dee7616766_c.jpg

This is the IM basket in the rear chamber.  As you can see there is a lot of gap everywhere.  It's very wiggly in the back chamber and not a snug fit.

34363262935_bb5b6a1378_c.jpg

This is the inTank media basket.  What I like about inTank's basket is it takes a little push to get it down and fills the entire chamber. More filling IMO means more contact with your filter media.

Personal Opinion:

The inTank basket is superior in quality and design to the IM basket and deserves its $42 price.  However, if you are on a budget and trying to save money, I also feel that IM's basket is priced appropriately given its quality compared to its competitor.  So, while I probably will upgrade to the inTank basket (because I'm sure at some point I will break the IM one), the IM media basket is a good budget conscious option.  I think a better price is $20 or $15, but you know what, It's still saving me almost $20 in the short run. So what ever.  

I'm happy with my purchases from both companies for their purpose.  I use two inTank baskets in my "prize" SPS tank and my contest tank is more budget friendly ergo more budget/lower quality items.  (this is x-posted to both my contest thread and my lagoon)

• Like 11

I have had both products also and found the InTank stuff to work much better. I do not like the way the floss sits in the IM baskets. Not sure why but in my 10 the floss was always messed up and made a little noise as it seemed to sit deeper in the water. You can see in your pic the top shelf is just a little higher on the InTank product.

• Like 4

Thanks for the basket write up. It's helpful for those of us on the fence. My issue is clearance over the tank. Can I fit them in? If not, what's the return policy? Looks like my only option with @StevieT's or IM's basket is to buy on Amazon (which will cost me a good bit more) so I can return it if it doesn't fit.  :(

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, calvin said:

Thanks for the basket write up. It's helpful for those of us on the fence. My issue is clearance over the tank. Can I fit them in? If not, what's the return policy? Looks like my only option with @StevieT's or IM's basket is to buy on Amazon (which will cost me a good bit more) so I can return it if it doesn't fit.  :(

What do you mean "clearance over the tank" and can you fit them in?  If you get the right size, you should no problem.  You can buy from inTank's store website http://shop.mediabaskets.com/ 

2 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

What do you mean "clearance over the tank" and can you fit them in?  If you get the right size, you should no problem.  You can buy from inTank's store website http://shop.mediabaskets.com/ 

Mine is a desktop tank with cabinets above, so I have limited clearance between the top of the tank and bottom of the cabinets. I'm familiar with the InTank site (I've put in two orders in the last month) but If I order directly I can't return the basket if it doesn't work out. 

• Like 2
Just now, calvin said:

Mine is a desktop tank with cabinets above, so I have limited clearance between the top of the tank and bottom of the cabinets. I'm familiar with the InTank site (I've put in two orders in the last month) but If I order directly I can't return the basket if it doesn't work out. 

You'd probably have a clearance issue with any media basket then...  The baskets are as deep as the chambers.

18 minutes ago, calvin said:

Ooh! Idea! Get the inTank floss holders instead! Maybe you can use string from a media bag (I use AC 20 media bags when needed) to hang the media off of the floss holder, even :P 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Mariaface said:

Ooh! Idea! Get the inTank floss holders instead! Maybe you can use string from a media bag (I use AC 20 media bags when needed) to hang the media off of the floss holder, even :P 

Great minds think alike - I actually already have a floss holder on one side and have planned to rig something up like that if the basket idea doesn't work out. 

• Like 1
On 4/26/2017 at 9:04 AM, Weetabix7 said:

Ha!!

I love how there's 3 of you competing over this!!

I'm the worst..... No, I am!!!

:lol: maybe there should be a I am the worst prize. Lord knows we have a lot of prizes. As of right now everybody wins something!

• Like 6
Just now, metrokat said:

:lol: maybe there should be a I am the worst prize. Lord knows we have a lot of prizes. As of right now everybody wins something!

Best kind of contest!

• Like 3
Just now, metrokat said:

Um which is awesome.  We invest all this money you bet we should all get participation prizes. lol

• Like 3
Derrick1980
41 minutes ago, metrokat said:

I am the worst prize?  You want me to enter?  Haha jk

53 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Lets just call it a participation trophy :lol: every ones a winner :rolleyes:

• Like 3