Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Where the Wild Things Are: 100 Days (rezing the thread)

lkoechle

I think the chicken liver sponge is actually a tunicate. Everything is looking great! I want to do something similar now in the fusion 10 I broke down. 

• Like 6
Coral_chef
5 hours ago, lkoechle said:

Cycle is complete :D

Nitrites are 0 and Nitrates 15.  I am probably going to do a small (2g) water change to bring them below 10 and cal it good for friday!

I guess now you can start putting in live stock, oh wait...:(

• Like 2
Just now, Coral_chef said:

I guess now you can start putting in live stock, oh wait...:(

Yeah... tank out of the bag. lol  TBH, it did put me on edge to have so many animals before completing the cycle.  and I got more coming friday ;)  

• Like 5
13 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

For being the faststest out of the starting box, you definitely win

Yeah, but my plans for this tank has always been watching it grow...  I mean, you don't know that because since I changed my plans I've been very hush hush :ninja: about it.  But the goals for this tank are more scientific rather than aesthetic, and hands off and observing rather than actively interfering and "making decisions".  I believe I mentioned this once before, I'm being @Weetabix7 about it. lol  

I mean, I plan on a lot of work from the variety of inhabitants and additives and feedings and there are some techniques I will be experimenting with, but I'm only working with I'm being given (I paid for it, but I don't know what I'm getting.  A clingfish was certainly not on the list lol nor was a Caribbean pistol shrimp pre-cycle lol).   

I feel like I'm rambling.  My goal isn't to collect and grow and create art like it usually is.  My goal is enjoy what I'm given and care, observe, and learn about what I'm given.  I feel like I'm stagnant. A learning roadblock.  I want to know things I don't know that I don't know about.  Like Clingfish and tunicates and sponges.  So this is a, in the words of my riding instructor, "You will know it once you do it and when you feel it.  So just do it already!" experience (I would drive her up the wall by asking too many questions before doing something... Whether it was a half pass or as asinine as a half halt. lol  I wanted to dissect all of it) 

I don't know if that clearly conveys anything at all.  I'm not good with the word making sense thing. lol

• Like 9
1 hour ago, lkoechle said:

I feel like I'm rambling.  My goal isn't to collect and grow and create art like it usually is.  My goal is enjoy what I'm given and care, observe, and learn about what I'm given.  I feel like I'm stagnant. A learning roadblock.  I want to know things I don't know that I don't know about.  Like Clingfish and tunicates and sponges.  So this is a, in the words of my riding instructor, "You will know it once you do it and when you feel it.  So just do it already!" experience (I would drive her up the wall by asking too many questions before doing something... Whether it was a half pass or as asinine as a half halt. lol  I wanted to dissect all of it) 

LOVE this!!!!! :wub:

And love that we get to learn right along with you.

• Like 4

Just a text update, no photos or video.

-sigh- today's been unexpected.  It started out happily enough.  I grew up next to a family of 6 kids, 4 girls and 2 boys.  The boys were the eldest and the youngest, so the girls and I were/are the very best of friends.  The whom I'm closest to was my maid of honor.  We were planning  a sleepover, the 4 of us girls (the 5th lives in New Zealand now), kick hubby to the guest room and do like we used to.  I was relaying this information after doing WC on the FW tank to my husband when I get a text from other best friend (and bridesmaid) asking if she can call me.  You know those are never good.  And it wasn't.  Her baby brother passed away.  He's the same age as my own baby bro, 17.  It's a lot to take in.  How he died, I won't get into, it isn't my place to say, but it was upsetting. As "new" parents (we both have 3 year olds), it hit us hard not only for her as the older sister, but watching her step mom process it and us now comprehending the true depths of a mother's love. I never realized until I had children, you really really do not understand the true depth of your mother's love for you until then.  It's having your heart walk outside of your chest and somehow there's enough love for more than one.  (I was really doubting that when pregnant with number 2, but she came and it was true, there is somehow enough love lol)

There's been a lot of death around me in the last couple of years and it hasn't easier. No matter who it is.  And I feel at such a loss for how to help someone so dear to me who is in such pain, and her family and her brothers.  We grew up together, we met our freshman year of highschool. I met this boy when he 6.  I wasn't close to him but it cuts me deep.  I love this family.  I love her. And there's nothing I can do, or anyone for that matter, to make it better.  I know that thanks to my own losses.  She was saying how sick she was of hearing people asking "what can I do to help?"  They can't bring her brother back or undo what's been done.  That's all anyone wants in this situation.  Just turn back the clock.  How hard is that?  We do it every fall.  

I'm rambling.  It's been a day.  It was only an hour conversation. She wanted to talk to someone who knew her while she drove to her parents to discuss the funeral.  She had only talked to her co-workers at this point.  I wish I could do something meaningful.  But I can't. 

I needed to get this out.  She was processing it via me and now I'm processing it via NR. Death is so infuriatingly baffling and finite at the same time.

Anyways, I did water changes on all of the tanks.  I haven't test yet but they're probably good.  I need to check the 25 for ca, alk, mag.  One of my SPS is being pissy and I'm wondering if those are too low.

I'm thankful tomorrow is happening, I need something to take my mind of this.  I'll probably be traveling to my hometown this weekend or next week for the funeral.  I'm so thankful for tomorrow.  I'm thankful for this community and for my reefs.  They go hand in hand.  I wouldn't be able to have my reefs without NR.  I just wouldn't be able to do it.  

And I love my tanks.  When I'm stressed, sad, mad, frustrated, I just get lost in them.  And I love it.  Thank you for giving me that.

I saw something very interesting I tried to get a video of.  My pistol shrimp has been so snappy I was wondering if I had two or a mantis in there as well.  But no.  And I'll tell you what's been happening (I just remembered, I do possibly have a video, but a bad one).

Story

So, there's an over hang over the pistol's burrow and there are 3 porcelain crabs in the tank.  One of the porcelains, lately, has been using this overhang for his "fan dance".   Well, I was watching the fan dance, not knowing this was a tunnel entrance, when I see this long antennae and the shrimp comes rushing out with a loud "CRACK" and the crab goes flying.  I thought I had just my porcelain bite it.  But he was fine, and the dummy came back to the overhang.  

I tried to get a video, but no repeats.  However, there is one I think I have that shows the pistol thinking about charging the crab. lol  I'll see if it came out.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

-sigh- today's been unexpected.  It started out happily enough.  I grew up next to a family of 6 kids, 4 girls and 2 boys.  The boys were the eldest and the youngest, so the girls and I were/are the very best of friends.  The whom I'm closest to was my maid of honor.  We were planning  a sleepover, the 4 of us girls (the 5th lives in New Zealand now), kick hubby to the guest room and do like we used to.  I was relaying this information after doing WC on the FW tank to my husband when I get a text from other best friend (and bridesmaid) asking if she can call me.  You know those are never good.  And it wasn't.  Her baby brother passed away.  He's the same age as my own baby bro, 17.  It's a lot to take in.  How he died, I won't get into, it isn't my place to say, but it was upsetting. As "new" parents (we both have 3 year olds), it hit us hard not only for her as the older sister, but watching her step mom process it and us now comprehending the true depths of a mother's love. I never realized until I had children, you really really do not understand the true depth of your mother's love for you until then.  It's having your heart walk outside of your chest and somehow there's enough love for more than one.  (I was really doubting that when pregnant with number 2, but she came and it was true, there is somehow enough love lol)

There's been a lot of death around me in the last couple of years and it hasn't easier. No matter who it is.  And I feel at such a loss for how to help someone so dear to me who is in such pain, and her family and her brothers.  We grew up together, we met our freshman year of highschool. I met this boy when he 6.  I wasn't close to him but it cuts me deep.  I love this family.  I love her. And there's nothing I can do, or anyone for that matter, to make it better.  I know that thanks to my own losses.  She was saying how sick she was of hearing people asking "what can I do to help?"  They can't bring her brother back or undo what's been done.  That's all anyone wants in this situation.  Just turn back the clock.  How hard is that?  We do it every fall.  

I'm rambling.  It's been a day.  It was only an hour conversation. She wanted to talk to someone who knew her while she drove to her parents to discuss the funeral.  She had only talked to her co-workers at this point.  I wish I could do something meaningful.  But I can't. 

I needed to get this out.  She was processing it via me and now I'm processing it via NR. Death is so infuriatingly baffling and finite at the same time.

Anyways, I did water changes on all of the tanks.  I haven't test yet but they're probably good.  I need to check the 25 for ca, alk, mag.  One of my SPS is being pissy and I'm wondering if those are too low.

I'm thankful tomorrow is happening, I need something to take my mind of this.  I'll probably be traveling to my hometown this weekend or next week for the funeral.  I'm so thankful for tomorrow.  I'm thankful for this community and for my reefs.  They go hand in hand.  I wouldn't be able to have my reefs without NR.  I just wouldn't be able to do it.  

And I love my tanks.  When I'm stressed, sad, mad, frustrated, I just get lost in them.  And I love it.  Thank you for giving me that.

I saw something very interesting I tried to get a video of.  My pistol shrimp has been so snappy I was wondering if I had two or a mantis in there as well.  But no.  And I'll tell you what's been happening (I just remembered, I do possibly have a video, but a bad one).

Story

So, there's an over hang over the pistol's burrow and there are 3 porcelain crabs in the tank.  One of the porcelains, lately, has been using this overhang for his "fan dance".   Well, I was watching the fan dance, not knowing this was a tunnel entrance, when I see this long antennae and the shrimp comes rushing out with a loud "CRACK" and the crab goes flying.  I thought I had just my porcelain bite it.  But he was fine, and the dummy came back to the overhang.  

I tried to get a video, but no repeats.  However, there is one I think I have that shows the pistol thinking about charging the crab. lol  I'll see if it came out.

"I'm so sorry" is about the only thing you can say sometimes.  Trite words just made me mad when I lost someone close to me.  And when it's someone so young with so much life ahead of them, it's that much worse.

The story about the crab and shrimp is hilarious!  Dummy indeed lol.

• Like 1
Just now, debbeach13 said:

Sorry about your friend. Being there as a sounding board helped. If you can make it to the funeral I know it will mean a lot.

Yeah, I'll be there.  I'm only a couple of hours away but in situations like these it feels like the other side of the country.

23 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Story

:grouphug:

• Like 1

Story

I tried to get a video, but no repeats.  However, there is one I think I have that shows the pistol thinking about charging the crab. lol  

Okay, so this is dummy crab.

Its not great, but you can see the shrimp to the right lurking in the entrance and then see the crab move away and the shrimp move forward a little after he gives a warning snap.  I advise watching it in HD on a PC so you can see it best.

Oh, and my IM pump is shipping out tomorrow.  Thats the update I meant to do but like I said it's been a distracting day.

Oh again, and Mr. Cling believes 2 PM is feeding time now.  Thats when I put the kids down for nap and watch the tanks and play with Mr. Cling.  Now he pops out at 2 PM lol

• Like 7

And hubby just called from the LFS while picking up salt.  There's something there I've been keeping an eye on and its still there and healthy... Depends on what tomorrow holds for us but if I still needs it, I'm getting it...  :ninja:

• Like 4

I'm so sorry about your friend's loss, and yours. I've been going through a bit of the same thing with my best friend and the passing of her father. I know there really isn't a comparison to losing a child, but they were very close and it was unexpected. Our hearts really do break for our friends, and there are no words of comfort, only presence of love and compassion. 

• Like 1

Update: Dummy crab did not get away unscathed like I thought, he is missing a claw. lol and is not on that side of the rock today. Guess he learned a lesson. lol

My order is one the plane! with the message "Hope this is enough" omgomgomg:scarry:

Hope it isn't too much!  I have other tanks I can shuffle to if I need to. lol But still...  

So, keep an eye out for this evening's EPIC post, or tomorrow because we are probably reaquascaping today/tonight. lol

• Like 6
1 hour ago, lkoechle said:

Update: Dummy crab did not get away unscathed like I thought, he is missing a claw. lol and is not on that side of the rock today. Guess he learned a lesson. lol

My order is one the plane! with the message "Hope this is enough" omgomgomg:scarry:

Hope it isn't too much!  I have other tanks I can shuffle to if I need to. lol But still...  

So, keep an eye out for this evening's EPIC post, or tomorrow because we are probably reaquascaping today/tonight. lol

omgomgomg