Top Shelf Aquatics

Where the Wild Things Are: 100 Days (rezing the thread)

lkoechle

WhiteWulfe
9 hours ago, lkoechle said:

That is a ton of ammonia. o.O  I honestly have no idea how high our ammonia is.  I have never tested my tap water.

@skoechle

Thankfully such only happens during biiiiiiiig melts or huge downpours of rain, and such is measured at the water treatment plant (that 4.5 reads closer to 3.3 at home).  Usually it's a lot more reasonable in the 0.5-2.5 range depending on the season. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sharbuckle said:

Okay so this is awesome.

short and to the point! lol Thanks.  hopefully it only gets better!

10 hours ago, lkoechle said:

@skoechle is being very tight lipped.  He was even annoyed when I told him I was talking to Weetie.  And I am all like, but I need help and ideas to bounce with this! So he relented to her knowing.  The rest of you though are being forced to wait it out. lol

Its rock............:P 

Local shop gets shipments of live rock like that also. He has 200lbs right now and getting more this week. Great looking stuff but I am just being lazy and going with already cured stuff......

• Like 2

Day 3 and still no ammonia.  So no major die off I guess.  I am going to wait a week before deciding I'm "in the clear".  A lot can happen between bow and then. lol I am going to try feeding Mr Cling tonight as well as the tube coral.

I love this rock and sand.  Definitely going to be a repeat customer.  So, so worth it.  I wouldn't use it in a high dollar SPS setup, there are just too many variables with hitchikers, but this definitely will not be last order with this rock.  

• Like 8
18 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Day 3 and still no ammonia.  So no major die off I guess.  I am going to wait a week before deciding I'm "in the clear".  A lot can happen between bow and then. lol I am going to try feeding Mr Cling tonight as well as the tube coral.

I love this rock and sand.  Definitely going to be a repeat customer.  So, so worth it.  I wouldn't use it in a high dollar SPS setup, there are just too many variables with hitchikers, but this definitely will not be last order with this rock.  

LOVING this!!!!!!

• Like 1

When I got in un-cured rock with rock crabs/gorilla crabs they did not bother anything for the first 6 months. I seemed to be loosing a few snails slowly, so just to be sure one hit my sump and another went to a fellow reefer that has it in a 40G fuge by itself.

WhiteWulfe

Seeing this really has me wondering if there are any collectors that work with Canadians...  Silly import regulations up here.

4 hours ago, Boggers said:

When I got in un-cured rock with rock crabs/gorilla crabs they did not bother anything for the first 6 months. I seemed to be loosing a few snails slowly, so just to be sure one hit my sump and another went to a fellow reefer that has it in a 40G fuge by itself.

Yeah I am going to leave them be until they prove themselves destructive or just catch them as I go and throw them in the mantis tank.

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Seeing this really has me wondering if there are any collectors that work with Canadians...  Silly import regulations up here.

Yeah, I know this place doesn't do any international shipping because of permits and shipping difficulty.  And they pride themselves on live arrival with minimal die off so they don't do international any more. :-/

• Like 3

Fed the tank today.  fingers crossed for no ammonia spike.  lol if there is, I have 14 gallons already mixed on hand for water changes I had anticipated.   

Feeding the tank showed me: there is more than one porcelain crab in thr tank, nass snails continue to be my favorite snail aside from conches, I found a new snail, and barnacles can smell food and perceive light.  My flash startled them and made them quite feeding for a minute.  

I will post more pics later! Going to a different LFS today for more SELCO Boost.  my normal one doesnt carry it.

• Like 11

Feeding pics this morning:

34637877495_f26129df5f_z.jpg

33794662814_65e42e506c_z.jpg

The new feeding tool.  I found out the tip is actually cracked so I ordered a new one from MD along with a lot of different foods.

33794658114_c44f35af23_z.jpg

@metrokat found my pistol for you.  

34507197201_e860fa9667_z.jpg

Gorilla Crab.  Hairy dude.

34637881515_686aa03a0a_z.jpg

New snail.  Dunno what he is yet.  But he's pretty! (Pretty sure it's a Marginella Snail)

34252249810_dd25575e76_z.jpg

Fan dancing Porcelain Crab

34637884525_f2e6fbf51e_z.jpg

Pretty Nassarius

Edit to add: and we're calling this tank "where the wild things are" since that phrase has come up repeatedly when talking about our new critters we've seen

• Like 11

Better just grab that gorilla crab and toss it in the mantis tank........

Love the rock but my little fish would get eaten by those crabs :) 

• Like 2
Just now, spectra said:

Better just grab that gorilla crab and toss it in the mantis tank........

Love the rock but my little fish would get eaten by those crabs :) 

Yeah, I'm going to start feeding him to lure him out.  I haven't done it yet (because I'm waiting for my last shipment and I'm also lazy) but I plan on making a little critter trap to start trapping things to throw in the mantis tank. lol  I also don't want to spike the ammonia by leaving the bait in over night.

• Like 2

I love, love, love your rock and all the amazing critters that came on it!

Eagerly awaiting the supplier reveal lol

• Like 2
Just now, Lula_Mae said:

I love, love, love your rock and all the amazing critters that came on it!

Eagerly awaiting the supplier reveal lol

Well, if there's still zero ammonia by Wednesday, I plan on getting the rest by friday hopefully! Then the "big reveal"!

• Like 2
1 minute ago, lkoechle said:

Yeah, I'm going to start feeding him to lure him out.  I haven't done it yet (because I'm waiting for my last shipment and I'm also lazy) but I plan on making a little critter trap to start trapping things to throw in the mantis tank. lol  I also don't want to spike the ammonia by leaving the bait in over night.

I think if you have not had any ammonia issues so far you are going to be good. Being your rock was so fresh I am sure you have nothing to worry about.

Rock to my area well its kitty corner to you so things defiantly don't make the trip like yours did. A friend of mine is bringing in 200lbs from somewhere this Tuesday and will have to check out what has lived and what didn't make it.

• Like 1
Just now, Weetabix7 said:

I think the new pretty snail is some type of Cowrie!!

That's what I thought, but it doesn't have a skirt like all the cowries I've seen (which has been like one)

6 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I think the new pretty snail is some type of Cowrie!!

Me to on that ID.....

6 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

That's what I thought, but it doesn't have a skirt like all the cowries I've seen (which has been like one)

I have a couple and sometimes they look just like your pic other times they are covered with maybe what you call a skirt ? I have 2 in my 100 and love the little guys or gals. I am a snail fanatic :lol: no crabs for my clean up crew.........

• Like 1
Just now, spectra said:

Me to on that ID.....

I have a couple and sometimes they look just like your pic other times they are covered with maybe what you call a skirt ? I have 2 in my 100 and love the little guys or gals. I am a snail fanatic :lol: no crabs for my clean up crew.........

I had money cowries in the 85 and I loved those guys but reef cleaners stopped carrying them.  Their skirts were out all the time.  I'm trying to find an ID.  It looks similar to a Hawaiian checkered cowrie...  I'm also 99% sure its a cowrie.  There's just not a lot of pics on the internet for IDing small cowries it seems like lol

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, spectra said:

Me to on that ID.....

I'm totally with you on that!!!!

I LOVE Money Cowries, and I actually recently got one in my order from Inland Aquatics. 

They're calling it a Gold Ring Cowrie on their site. 

• Like 1