ReefCleaners.org

Where the Wild Things Are: 100 Days (rezing the thread)

lkoechle

Feeling pretty BAMF tonight! Could be the wine, BUT I identified my snapping shrimp! With Alpheus being so popular in the hobby, its really hard to narrow it down to which alpheus.  Especially if you look even under Live Aquaria's pictures, they show two different (but similar) species in the same listing.  @metrokat we have Alpheus formosus

BOOM! 

http://www.boldsystems.org/index.php/Taxbrowser_Taxonpage?taxid=149554 

This may seem like small feat, but it's taken a lot of sifting through stuff to start narrowing ish down and then finding pictures... very frustrating, not easy. lol

• Like 5
1 hour ago, lkoechle said:

don't be gross... lol  blech

I hate pasta too.

Haha sorry :D

1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Well you're just a Poopy-head, I love Pasta!!

In fact, we almost had Spaghetti for dinner tonight, lol. 

Me too, I love it all!  Pasta pasta pasta, it deserves its own food group! :happy:

58 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

I eat only angel hair pasta as shrimp scampi or red sauce with meatballs. lol  I'll also eat stuffed pastas and lasagna but the buck stops there.

Yummmmmmmmmm sounds great to me!  And angel hair is one of my faves (Trader Joe's carries an even thinner pasta whose name I can't recall at the moment--maybe capellini?)--I don't like thick spaghetti noodles as much.  Hubby likes the veggie pastas (the green or multicolored ones with veggies incorporated) as that's about the only way he will eat vegetables. :lol:

5 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Feeling pretty BAMF tonight! Could be the wine, BUT I identified my snapping shrimp! With Alpheus being so popular in the hobby, its really hard to narrow it down to which alpheus.  Especially if you look even under Live Aquaria's pictures, they show two different (but similar) species in the same listing.  @metrokat we have Alpheus formosus

BOOM! 

http://www.boldsystems.org/index.php/Taxbrowser_Taxonpage?taxid=149554 

This may seem like small feat, but it's taken a lot of sifting through stuff to start narrowing ish down and then finding pictures... very frustrating, not easy. lol

Looks very similar to mine 

12 hours ago, skoechle said:

Shes a communist or something.... I don't know whats wrong with her cuz even communist would eat pasta. But she is ruining my life!!!

1pdnms.jpg

Need to come visit me. Italian place here makes their own spaghetti noodles daily and doesn't taste like any dried *&^% that you normally would get. :)

• Like 1

I was rearranging and moved a candelabra gorgonian to the mantis tank.  What did that reveal?  Red's burrow!  I saw to bright red claws sitting there and I was like "I'm to try and feed this grumpy old fart"  (maybe I should rename hims @spectra :D) So, I told @skoechle (he's working from home today) and he came down and videoed it.  The grumpy fart made an appearance.  His coloration is so vivid, I'm doubting my thoughts of him being an A. formosus and being A. paraformosus.  However, none in Florida have been captured although they are in the Caribbean so it's not out of the realm of possibility.  Either way, I'm too bothered at being more precise until I can see his body better in its entirety.

He's also been eating gorilla crabs which is nice :P  

• Like 4
On 5/19/2017 at 9:24 PM, spectra said:

Boom not sure of :lol: Hell its rock and you live really close.....................

Stuff looks great but if shipped to me well who knows what lives and what dies...............

This is actually where I got only shipment of un-cured LR from. I just piggy-backed on another person's order so I am not sure what they got. My box had a bunch of sponges, turnicates, crabs, baby pistols, and an urchin still living. If it can get to me, I am sure it can get to you.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Haha sorry :D

Me too, I love it all!  Pasta pasta pasta, it deserves its own food group! :happy:

Yummmmmmmmmm sounds great to me!  And angel hair is one of my faves (Trader Joe's carries an even thinner pasta whose name I can't recall at the moment--maybe capellini?)--I don't like thick spaghetti noodles as much.  Hubby likes the veggie pastas (the green or multicolored ones with veggies incorporated) as that's about the only way he will eat vegetables. :lol:

We have a Pastafarian!!!! :wub:

• Like 3
9 hours ago, lkoechle said:

I was rearranging and moved a candelabra gorgonian to the mantis tank.  What did that reveal?  Red's burrow!  I saw to bright red claws sitting there and I was like "I'm to try and feed this grumpy old fart"  (maybe I should rename hims @spectra :D) So, I told @skoechle (he's working from home today) and he came down and videoed it.  The grumpy fart made an appearance.  His coloration is so vivid, I'm doubting my thoughts of him being an A. formosus and being A. paraformosus.  However, none in Florida have been captured although they are in the Caribbean so it's not out of the realm of possibility.  Either way, I'm too bothered at being more precise until I can see his body better in its entirety.

He's also been eating gorilla crabs which is nice :P  

That's it :lol: at least lets see a full shot and not just a couple arms.......give him a beer maybe he wont be so grumpy ;)

9 hours ago, Boggers said:

This is actually where I got only shipment of un-cured LR from. I just piggy-backed on another person's order so I am not sure what they got. My box had a bunch of sponges, turnicates, crabs, baby pistols, and an urchin still living. If it can get to me, I am sure it can get to you.

I am a little farther but things would survive. I had a friend just bring in 200lbs and he had foot long gorgonians on some of it and they were in the most part still kicking.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, metrokat said:

We have a Pastafarian!!!! :wub:

And I don't have a drop of Italian blood in me! :lol:  I just love love love pasta!

• Like 4

FTS 3:

2017-05-25_09-38-02.thumb.jpg.aa4bf41e6d3eaef88231e033565bd174.jpg

2017-05-25_09-38-29.thumb.jpg.50dd6af107c201b51aa587d9d3f3ebef.jpg

2017-05-25_09-38-47.thumb.jpg.c266fb65076dc5f70fb84870cb1698d1.jpg

Serpent Star was looking good so i released it into the tank today and reworked all the stuff.  It looks really good, I think at least.

Hopefully, the pump will arrive today and I will do a large water change and clean the back chambers.  Hopefully, the new pump is quieter.  Mine has been getting louder.  

I will be leaving the tank in care of @skoechle this weekend since my mom and I will be traveling to my grandfather's for the weekend.  

And thats about it. And this is a cool coral that is new-ish.  I have known it was there, came with shipment 2, but haven't taken a pic of it.  its pretty cool looking.

1495723526679107527345.jpg

• Like 8

Ball Anemones are pretty neat, but not "show" quality for sure.   I really dig how the tank looks and am very interested in how the sponges do longer term. I have tried once, but it slowly melted away on me.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

FTS 3:

2017-05-25_09-38-02.thumb.jpg.aa4bf41e6d3eaef88231e033565bd174.jpg

2017-05-25_09-38-29.thumb.jpg.50dd6af107c201b51aa587d9d3f3ebef.jpg

2017-05-25_09-38-47.thumb.jpg.c266fb65076dc5f70fb84870cb1698d1.jpg

Serpent Star was looking good so i released it into the tank today and reworked all the stuff.  It looks really good, I think at least.

Hopefully, the pump will arrive today and I will do a large water change and clean the back chambers.  Hopefully, the new pump is quieter.  Mine has been getting louder.  

I will be leaving the tank in care of @skoechle this weekend since my mom and I will be traveling to my grandfather's for the weekend.  

And thats about it. And this is a cool coral that is new-ish.  I have known it was there, came with shipment 2, but haven't taken a pic of it.  its pretty cool looking.

1495723526679107527345.jpg

I am so in love with this. 

All of it. :wub:

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Boggers said:

Ball Anemones are pretty neat, but not "show" quality for sure.   I really dig how the tank looks and am very interested in how the sponges do longer term. I have tried once, but it slowly melted away on me.

They arent ball anemones.  They are Phyllangia americana and are a type of cup coral.

• Like 2

Nice update. The light makes the sponges and rock colors look very good. I think it has a couple of red bulbs in it, right?

Sponges like silica I think. I use SpongeExcel.

13 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

And I don't have a drop of Italian blood in me! :lol:  I just love love love pasta!

It's pasta night at least once a week. My niece and nephew come over or I go over to their place to make it. I turned them on to Rigatoni recently, before that it was penne and nothing else. They still like fettucine but prefer Rigatoni now. I make it in alfredo. Sometimes I serve Chicken Parm with it, other times I serve it with meatballs. I've tried making chicken parm from scratch and they always complain that the chicken is too tough to eat. They still have wobbly teeth and all. So I do not-from-scratch version which tastes just as amazeballs.

7 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Sponges like silica I think. I use SpongeExcel

Yeah, I plan on using it.  Probably will be adding it after I get back from the weekend.  Dont want to make a change and have shit go sideways while I am outta town :P

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

@metrokat i was just reading the directions for SpongeExcel, do you have a test kit you reccommend?

I've used the Salifert kit in the past. Randy Holmes Farley had a nice article on silica. You're going to get diatoms with it. If it gets too much cut back on dosing, you can also employ rowa phos to remove the excess silica. I've also suspected that silica in some cases fuels dinos, and this is anecdotal from my own usage of silica (I have a lab grade one too) and eventually goes away. I learn something new each day, usually with experimentation and observation.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, William said:

Do you think it is a bad idea to dose if not actively testing for it? 

20 minutes ago, metrokat said:

I've used the Salifert kit in the past. Randy Holmes Farley had a nice article on silica. You're going to get diatoms with it. If it gets too much cut back on dosing, you can also employ rowa phos to remove the excess silica. I've also suspected that silica in some cases fuels dinos, and this is anecdotal from my own usage of silica (I have a lab grade one too) and eventually goes away. I learn something new each day, usually with experimentation and observation.

@metrokat what william says, because I am lazy... and I hate testing... worst part of the hobby along with wet hands (thankfully solved with gloves) and tiny compartments.

Pretty picture of Maru the Seaweed Blenny.  I really love all the colors and different textures with the sponges and the algae. 

20170526_100843.thumb.jpg.54c3d121e3509cd0524bd7906ac297bb.jpg

• Like 6
26 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

I'm so jealous, sheesh! :tears:

You'll get there! Your terrible bacteria is subsiding.  Seriously, major props to you.  I would have drained it then set it on fire.

21 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Looks like he's posing lol

Probably is.  He is a major diva.  Everythings about him.  tongs come in the tank, there is no way I am working on the scape, it MUST be for him.  Trying to take a look at coral/sponge/critter? Nope, Blenny to the face.  Feeding is also kind of nightmare.  I have to acquire the target and then thrust the tongs through the water as quickly as possible before Maru can come in for the steal.  I often lose and he often looks like a tiny whale.

• Like 6