Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mariaface's Contest Tank?!

Mariaface

I have a tank!! omgomgomg

sWqcbYB.jpg

This is the temporary spot before the APS stand comes in (because I don't actually want this to permanently sit just in front of a window), and I have it turned this way because my bed (best lounge spot, am I right?) is to the left. If the desk were .5" wider front to back, I could've set it up with the back to the wall... 

Once the stand is in, it'll be more of a room divider :) 

should I have blurred out my serial number? enh, who cares..

• Like 5
Just now, lkoechle said:

Do you know when yet?  And does it comewith door?  Ilike the idea of it but I need doors.

No clue! 8D But I did preorder it so it can't be too far away?! I don't know. I'm hoping IM decides to bless us :P 

The 14 and 20g models don't come with panels, everything for 25g and up does. But I'm hoping I can figure out what I'll need on a trip to home depot in order to make my own? Wish me luck! 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Do you know when yet?  And does it comewith door?  Ilike the idea of it but I need doors.

The stand for the 14G does not have doors (no idea why not) NO clue on release date either.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

No clue! 8D But I did preorder it so it can't be too far away?! I don't know. I'm hoping IM decides to bless us :P 

The 14 and 20g models don't come with panels, everything for 25g and up does. But I'm hoping I can figure out what I'll need on a trip to home depot in order to make my own? Wish me luck! 

For our 85we used plywood sanded down and stained/sealed then used picture hanging cleats to hang them.  I don't know how that would work for aluminum frame.  Two other thoughts would be: Using magnets to hold the panels and the second thought is maybe the frame has grooves for panels to slide into?

• Like 1

I'm looking at the video, and you know what would be interesting? Is to see if there's anyway to make very thin sliding doors (japanese paper doors come to mind but paper + water = bad time) maybe out of acrylic? that can fit in the grooves and be thin enough to slide over each other.  Just a thought.  It looks like they most likely went door free because of the very small dimensions of the 20 and 14.

• Like 1

I ordered rocks :happydance:

Part of me wanted to wait to have the new tank wet before getting the rocks (soft cycle inside the tank), but if this is a competition... Bucket cycling it is! :) 

• Like 5
36 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

I ordered rocks :happydance:

Part of me wanted to wait to have the new tank wet before getting the rocks (soft cycle inside the tank), but if this is a competition... Bucket cycling it is! :) 

I am falling behind. lol

Just now, Mariaface said:

Damnit, my plan requires a lid :furious:

How fool-friendly (heh, not foolproof) are these IM lid kits? Hmmm.

They suck.  Instead:  BRS screen, spline roller, and a window screen kit from home depot. (and buy the clips from StevieT or where ever) we did that for the 85 WAY easier than the IM kit that we bought for the lagoon.  I still have left over mesh, so if I decide to get a lid kit, I'm doing my home depot plan again instead of IM.  That kit blows.  don't do it.

• Like 4
Just now, lkoechle said:

They suck.  Instead:  BRS screen, spline roller, and a window screen kit from home depot. (and buy the clips from StevieT or where ever) we did that for the 85 WAY easier than the IM kit that we bought for the lagoon.  I still have left over mesh, so if I decide to get a lid kit, I'm doing my home depot plan again instead of IM.  That kit blows.  don't do it.

But I'm showcasing an IM tank! And I'm pretty sure I can sucker a parental unit into helping me put it together prettily? :P  

But I'm showcasing an IM tank! And I'm pretty sure I can sucker a parental unit into helping me put it together prettily? :P  

My husband cussed out that kit so much, I was close to scrapping our livestocking plans.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Mariaface said:

You will need a hack saw to cut it to the appropriate length. None of my cuts came out straight so thats a slight annoyance but still works fine. The spline was impossibly hard to get into the rails... this resulted in my screen not going in completely flat and it has a small "bubble" in the mesh that frequently collects water and consequently salt buildup. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Instead:  BRS screen

The mesh in the IM kit is also thicker than I remember the BRS screen being. This made it much more difficult to work into the rails. Either way its going to take work.

Bottom Line: the IM kit is quality materials, so much so it becomes a PITA to work with.

53 minutes ago, skoechle said:

The mesh in the IM kit is also thicker than I remember the BRS screen being. This made it much more difficult to work into the rails. Either way its going to take work.

Bottom Line: the IM kit is quality materials, so much so it becomes a PITA to work with.

Archer icon!

But yes, thank you for the explanation :)  

1 hour ago, lkoechle said:

That's a really eclectic kit but I like it. 

Mariaface

Leak test begins now! :D

I feel like I've fallen behind and the contest hasn't even started yet... But it'll be fine! I've got this!

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

Leak test begins now! :D

I feel like I've fallen behind and the contest hasn't even started yet... But it'll be fine! I've got this!

you have rocks. and youre cycling.  i dont.  and @Pjanssen claims she doesn't even know what she's doing yet. lol

• Like 2
Mariaface
6 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

you have rocks. and youre cycling.  i dont.  and @Pjanssen claims she doesn't even know what she's doing yet. lol

You're going to order them, though! :P  

You're going to order them, though! :P  

they are ordered.  They're just not getting here until may 10 th lol  See? you are way ahead of me.

• Like 5
12 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

And I changed my mind as to what I'm doing today....well, maybe it's more a slight modification. 

It's hard when you've never even done this before! 

• Like 2