Coral Vue Hydros

Bio pellet reactor For the first time

dragonxflare

dragonxflare
Hey all,

I recently picked up a IM minimax reactor, and plan on running bio pellets in it. This Reactor fits perfecting in the 2nd slot for my IM 30 L tank, so I figured it would be a good addition.

I had a few questions:

1. Bio pellets requires a skimmer, does it matter if my ghost skimmer is on the opposite side of the reactor? My ghost skimmer is on the 2nd slot, on the right side, and I plan to put the Reactor no the left side.

2. I read that over dosing the bio pellets can be harmful to the tank, should I start off with 1/4 the dose recommendation? It's 1 cup for every 50 gallons, should I be doing about 1/4 cup at first?

I have a few SPS and LPS, and don't want to kill off anything, so any help would be great. 

Thanks
Derrick1980

I have this product as well, just got it in and running... I darn near filled it up with pellets.  I didn't know you weren't supposed to.  Mine is running fine on a 26g.  It may be a smaller one than yours though.

tanacharison

The film that will come from the biopellets from inside the reactor will still be pulled out of the water from your skimmer or consumed by corals.  You might just need to clean out the aio chambers more if it builds up.  As far as choosing the starting amount of pellets you can technically shock any established system if you have a sudden change in water chemistry.  At the very least you can have a temporary cloudy bacteria bloom.  Starting with a reduced amount will ease your tank into it.  I'm not familiar with that reactor but if your starting will less it will allow you to monitor and ensure you always have tumbing.  

dragonxflare
2 hours ago, Derrick1980 said:

I have this product as well, just got it in and running... I darn near filled it up with pellets.  I didn't know you weren't supposed to.  Mine is running fine on a 26g.  It may be a smaller one than yours though.

How much did you end up putting in? How is your reactor and skimmer positioned? I Heard they need to be near each other, but it seems impossible for a Innovative marine tank, since theres 2 slots but opposite of each other

2 hours ago, tanacharison said:

The film that will come from the biopellets from inside the reactor will still be pulled out of the water from your skimmer or consumed by corals.  You might just need to clean out the aio chambers more if it builds up.  As far as choosing the starting amount of pellets you can technically shock any established system if you have a sudden change in water chemistry.  At the very least you can have a temporary cloudy bacteria bloom.  Starting with a reduced amount will ease your tank into it.  I'm not familiar with that reactor but if your starting will less it will allow you to monitor and ensure you always have tumbing.  

Awesome thank you!

Derrick1980
10 hours ago, dragonxflare said:

How much did you end up putting in? How is your reactor and skimmer positioned? I Heard they need to be near each other, but it seems impossible for a Innovative marine tank, since theres 2 slots but opposite of each other

Awesome thank you!

I am using a 26g Bowfront tank that doesn't have sections in the back for skimmers, etc, so I positioned mine with the c-clamp about 10" sticking out of the tank.  It works just fine.  The pellets aren't tumbling, I threw the whole bag of them in there, but I'm sure it is functioning as a filter nonetheless.  The pump looks a little strange in the tank with the suction cups and all, so I will probably get a few lbs live rock from a LFS to hide it.

tanacharison
37 minutes ago, Derrick1980 said:

I am using a 26g Bowfront tank that doesn't have sections in the back for skimmers, etc, so I positioned mine with the c-clamp about 10" sticking out of the tank.  It works just fine.  The pellets aren't tumbling, I threw the whole bag of them in there, but I'm sure it is functioning as a filter nonetheless.  The pump looks a little strange in the tank with the suction cups and all, so I will probably get a few lbs live rock from a LFS to hide it.

Why not just replace them with another media that is designed for passive flow?  You would probably see more improvement in water quality.  

Derrick1980
12 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

Why not just replace them with another media that is designed for passive flow?  You would probably see more improvement in water quality.  

Yeah I'll have to think about this

I am running the small desktop reactor with about 80 grams of bio pellets along with the ghost skimmer. The reactor on the left and skimmer in right in my 20 gallon fusion. I started with 40 grams and with 80 it tumbles but it must be dialed to the max flow. I have sps and lps etc. In a mixed reef with no ill effects. I don't think it would matter if thy were side by side since the water flows by . 

I am told the bio pellets must tumble or thy will create a dead zone and produce (hydrogen sulphate) the rotten egg smelling stuff. Whichmakes me wonder if less would be more effective as it can tumble around easier?

tanacharison
2 hours ago, jambon said:

I am running the small desktop reactor with about 80 grams of bio pellets along with the ghost skimmer. The reactor on the left and skimmer in right in my 20 gallon fusion. I started with 40 grams and with 80 it tumbles but it must be dialed to the max flow. I have sps and lps etc. In a mixed reef with no ill effects. I don't think it would matter if thy were side by side since the water flows by . 

I am told the bio pellets must tumble or thy will create a dead zone and produce (hydrogen sulphate) the rotten egg smelling stuff. Whichmakes me wonder if less would be more effective as it can tumble around easier?

Biopellets have so many variables that I have concluded they might be one of the most complicated methods of nutrient reduction.  The goal is to have each pellet tumbling  without any stuck or clumping.  This way you will take advantage of the entire surface area of the pellet being consumed by bacteria also increasing the likelihood it will make contact with another pellet causing the bacterial film to fall off and get pulled out of your reactor.  Reducing the amount of pellets is a great way to achieve that and with that reactor design it's going to be impractical to increase flow.  You can also increase efficiency by dosing a bacterial supplement however it is not required.  

Archived