Top Shelf Aquatics

100 Days of Nanos - An Official Nano-Reef Contest

metrokat

13 minutes ago, spectra said:

Oh well I have that to but it would be a coldwater tank..................to bad its not thick enough...............I have always wanted one love the strawberry nems.....

I have a friend who did that a few years back, it looked REALLY cool!!

(no pun intended, lol)

• Like 5
11 hours ago, metrokat said:

:ninja: 

I have at the moment an experiment running on my kitchen countertop. And yes. It is a pico. :ninja:

Call me crazy but the next tank contest idea was already running through my head soon as this one was decided. :blush:

omgomgomg:haha:fingerscrossed:happydance: :lol:

I can't WAIT to learn more! :D

• Like 5
Derrick1980
2 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

omgomgomg:haha:fingerscrossed:happydance: :lol:

I can't WAIT to learn more! :D

I already have a spot for mine should this come to pass.

• Like 2
coralcousins

Getting back into the hobby and I Wish I saw this earlier. A couple of days ago I bought the 18''-24"' orbit marine pro led for a great price $50 and the Fluval sea evo 13.5 gallon $130. Would return them if I could but it was a closing sale. Once you get the hang of the light controller it's pretty easy to set up. Excited to see all the new tanks I'll be starting mine around the same time :)

• Like 2
StinkyBunny
11 hours ago, spectra said:

Oh well I have that to but it would be a coldwater tank..................to bad its not thick enough...............I have always wanted one love the strawberry nems.....

I got one of the little ball anemones on a piece of Daisy polyps last order, also got a Majano on the same rock, lol.

Happy weekend. If I had this tank, how would I stock it - a question I've been pondering for a while.

- Gorgonians, leathers, zoas and a whole lot of gobies

- Showcase a special fish, like maybe a white cap goby or a pair of flaming prawns.

- Mandarin pair with macros :wub: and gorgonians

- Red spot cardinalfish school in a softie tank

How would you stock it?

• Like 6
Derrick1980
32 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Happy weekend. If I had this tank, how would I stock it - a question I've been pondering for a while.

- Showcase a special fish, like maybe a white cap goby or a pair of flaming prawns.

How would you stock it?

Clowns with anems

• Like 1
2 hours ago, metrokat said:

How would you stock it?

I wanted to do a pair of clowns and a pink-streaked wrasse (I have literally never had a saltwater fish since I have always been in itty-bitty pico-land lol).  Probably a few macros and gorgs, rics and St. Thomas and other mushrooms, zoas, and my new loves, blastos and grandis palys.  That's as far as I'd gotten lol.  I tend to do things kind of organically and let them evolve as they will, but I've always wanted a clown pair and haven't had one yet so that would probably be the one for-sure thing in the tank.

• Like 4
On 4/22/2017 at 0:14 PM, metrokat said:

How would you stock it?

I think the tank is a little small for a madarin pair. But I think I'm going to attempt one. ?.

they are so beautiful just a little worried about keeping up the copepod population within 100days.

also do copepods count towards livestock?

• Like 1
Just now, Coral_chef said:

I think the tank is a little small for a madarin pair. But I think I'm going to attempt one. ?.

they are so beautiful just a little worried about keeping up the copepod population within 100days.

Yes. Blow out your budget on copepods 8D

Edit: I am not an authority please don't take me seriously

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

You can always get lucky to.....my little target mandarin loves frozen brine....I was happy to see it go after food with the other fish.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, spectra said:

You can always get lucky to.....my little target mandarin loves frozen brine....I was happy to see it go after food with the other fish.

I've been looking into Teaching to eat things like brine shrimp. Saw one owner that got his to eat store bought shrimp. Which would be a dream. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

I've been looking into Teaching to eat things like brine shrimp. Saw one owner that got his to eat store bought shrimp. Which would be a dream. 

It can be done. 

There's an old thread on here by member SeeDemTails who did that. 

• Like 1

@Coral_chef make sure you do your homework and can dedicate time to feeding several times a day.  I have trained 3 to eat frozen and it took a lot of work. I won't keep dragonets again for a while.  If this is your first tank (which I think you said it was), they are a lot of work and I would hate to see a new person get burned out by them.  If you do, go for a target and not the green.  I found them to be easier to train.

And brine shrimp is kind of like french fries, so not naturally nutritious although you can enrich them.  Mine really loved fish roe.  Rods has some or if you have an asian mart near you, sweet fish roe.  (make sure there is NOTHING added to it) they are small orange fish eggs.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, lkoechle said:

@Coral_chef make sure you do your homework and can dedicate time to feeding several times a day.  I have trained 3 to eat frozen and it took a lot of work. I won't keep dragonets again for a while.  If this is your first tank (which I think you said it was), they are a lot of work and I would hate to see a new person get burned out by them.  If you do, go for a target and not the green.  I found them to be easier to train.

And brine shrimp is kind of like french fries, so not naturally nutritious although you can enrich them.  Mine really loved fish roe.  Rods has some or if you have an asian mart near you, sweet fish roe.  (make sure there is NOTHING added to it) they are small orange fish eggs.

I'm am an actual chef, so I can defiantly get ahold of large amounts of fish roe. 

I actually have 2# of trout roe in the freezer at work but I'm assuming that would be way to large.  

Me an my my girlfriend @HouseOf1000Corals will both be watching the tank, I'm assuming if we set up a feeding schedule and share the duties we will be able to keep him plump an Healthy. 

It is my first tank. I've been doing hours of research which will hopefully help me along. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

I'm am an actual chef, so I can defiantly get ahold of large amounts of fish roe. 

I actually have 2# of trout roe in the freezer at work but I'm assuming that would be way to large.  

Me an my my girlfriend @HouseOf1000Corals will both be watching the tank, I'm assuming if we set up a feeding schedule and share the duties we will be able to keep him plump an Healthy. 

It is my first tank. I've been doing hours of research which will hopefully help me along. 

yeah def too big. lol sweetfish roe is about .5 mm  Its those super tiny eggs on sushi.

• Like 1

Happy Monday. Marine Depot blasted the contest to their newsletter subscribers. :)

How is everybody?

58fe07c9c9962_ScreenShot2017-04-24at10_11_42AM.png.f5543ead215133c2525401719328b0d6.png

15 hours ago, Coral_chef said:

Technically, copepods would be food for the Mandy in this case. Right @jedimasterben ?

• Like 5
Derrick1980
2 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Happy Monday. Marine Depot blasted the contest to their newsletter subscribers. :)

How is everybody?

58fe07c9c9962_ScreenShot2017-04-24at10_11_42AM.png.f5543ead215133c2525401719328b0d6.png

Doin great this morning.. how are you?

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic