Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

100 Days of Nanos - An Official Nano-Reef Contest

metrokat

Coral_chef
18 minutes ago, stellablue said:

A mandarin will clear those out in probably less than two days. Mine I bought eating frozen and I still spend $80 a month buying pods to keep it happy. And my tank is 55 gallons with a fuge- 

Booo!

• Like 1

You know what I love waking up to?  noisey ass pump that, it turns out, has a broken drive shaft.  

FYI, I contacted IM almost 3 weeks ago for a replacement pump, took 3 days for a shipping label to be made, then sat with a shipping label for over a week (I have UPS notifications when packages are coming to my address, dont fool yourself thinking IM gave me a tracking number) before finally mailing the damn thing out.

If they had mailed the thing in a timely fashion, I would not be out a pump right now!

To say I am angry, is an understatement. :furious: 

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

You know what I love waking up to?  noisey ass pump that, it turns out, has a broken drive shaft.  

FYI, I contacted IM almost 3 weeks ago for a replacement pump, took 3 days for a shipping label to be made, then sat with a shipping label for over a week (I have UPS notifications when packages are coming to my address, dont fool yourself thinking IM gave me a tracking number) before finally mailing the damn thing out.

If they had mailed the thing in a timely fashion, I would not be out a pump right now!

To say I am angry, is an understatement. :furious: 

That's frustrating! Mine shipped same day so this is so surprising to me. Mine stopped working the morning I got my new one and I put a replacement in then swapped it out. Do you have an extra pump you can put in until you get yours? 

My new one isn't much quieter than my old one so I'm kind of nervous the same thing will happen. I can hear it grinding - not just vibrating. Since this is the second one, I just figured maybe they all suck. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, stellablue said:

That's frustrating! Mine shipped same day so this is so surprising to me. Mine stopped working the morning I got my new one and I put a replacement in then swapped it out. Do you have an extra pump you can put in until you get yours? 

My new one isn't much quieter than my old one so I'm kind of nervous the same thing will happen. I can hear it grinding - not just vibrating. Since this is the second one, I just figured maybe they all suck. 

I have another pump same model from my IM 25. I'm waiting to hear back from @metrokat if I can switch it out with that one.

sabrefencer

Guys and Gals I have to agree with y'all - this pump has an annoying humming sound - compared to my sicce 1.0 that I can barely hear when I use it to mix newly made s/w so I empathize. Annoying for certain. Mine has gotten louder by the day.  Just called IM and will need to supply them with some information - probably proof of purchase and serial + a bill for a noise canceling head set  :D so hopefully this will get replaced soon.  Lucky are the ones who don't have this issue 

• Like 3
coralcousins
On 5/1/2017 at 1:05 PM, coralcousins said:

Anyone else do a leak test and check the pump ? While I was doing my leak test I started the pump and the thing is so loud ! I've tried repositioning the suction cups, placing it in the center so it's not touching anything and nothing I can't get it to quiet down.  It's like a constant rattling.

Told y'all from the beginning lol even the replacement I received is starting to get loud. Ordered some noise canceling headphones to sleep in since my tank is next to my bed. ?

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, coralcousins said:

Told y'all from the beginning lol even the replacement I received is starting to get loud. Ordered some noise canceling headphones to sleep in since my tank is next to my bed. ?

Last night our power was knocked out from a storm.  When it came on at about 2 in the morning, the noise of the filter starting up and the lights coming on woke me up lol.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, lkoechle said:

@metrokat and @jedimasterben okayed it. Until my new pump comes in, my same model pump from the IM 25 will be running it.  For documentation purposes, this is the IM 25 pump.

20170530_114828.jpg

I have 2 of those out of an IM 20. I think IM uses the same pump for all the smaller tanks and well all 3 that I have make noise..................I have just come to the realization that there isn't a quiet one out there....................

• Like 4

@metrokat, I need to know if I can use this light? It is tiny and goes strictly over the refugium part of the tank for the mangroves that are housed there. I understand if you say no, but since others are using fuge lights I thought it might be okay, otherwise I think the mangroves will have to go.

• Like 1

@metrokat and @jedimasterben

So, my second IM pump has also failed. As of this moment until my new IM pump comes, I am running soley on my Koralia.  

After having multiple contestants with broken or failed pumps from IM and the fact IM has taken two weeks (in my case) just to ship it, I propose you guys approve a sicce pump of your choosing that we can use as an approved option. It makes me very uneasy that I cannot simply go to my LFS and buy a replacement pump (which I would do today) or driveshaft (which I do have for sicce because you can buy parts).  Instead, my tank is at the mercy of UPS and IM. Maybe you can put this to a vote among the contestants, but I think this would still keep things level as well as give us a safety net in the event of pump failure since most LFS carry sicce or you can order parts to have on hand. especially the ones who are not using an additional source of flow.

And if you guys could come to a decision before 5 PM EST today, that would be great so I can still have time to go to my LFS today.

Thanks!

• Like 8

(oh and you didnt ask, but I think the 1.0 or 1.5 models would be best. I vote 1.5 becausr for me who likes my tanks to be a washing machine, I should be able to achieve that sans koralia but the 1.0 is closest to the IM model at 250 -something gph... I also have to check dimensions if the 1.5 would even fit...)

ETA: Actually, I vote 1.0  1.5 should fit, but it would be tight.  1.0 is better.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

So, my second IM pump has also failed. As of this moment until my new IM pump comes, I am running soley on my Koralia.  

After having multiple contestants with broken or failed pumps from IM and the fact IM has taken two weeks (in my case) just to ship it, I propose you guys approve a sicce pump of your choosing that we can use as an approved option. It makes me very uneasy that I cannot simply go to my LFS and buy a replacement pump (which I would do today) or driveshaft (which I do have for sicce because you can buy parts).  Instead, my tank is at the mercy of UPS and IM. Maybe you can put this to a vote among the contestants, but I think this would still keep things level as well as give us a safety net in the event of pump failure since most LFS carry sicce or you can order parts to have on hand. especially the ones who are not using an additional source of flow.

And if you guys could come to a decision before 5 PM EST today, that would be great so I can still have time to go to my LFS today.

Thanks!

I don't want to see that beautiful tank in jeopardy in any way so I'd say use the Sicce ASAP. I'd be surprised if any contestant felt differently. 

• Like 3
sabrefencer

Just get a sicce and be done with it j/k but I'm with you Sea Furn. Seriously though I haven't had many loud sicce or eheim pumps but I am going to try placing some silicone material underneath- the kind that you use to dry your dishes on or maybe a neoprene mouse pad - something that doesn't leach back into the water. I'm not banking on a replacement being that much better. My 4 year old vortechs on my other tank are much more pleasant to listen to. If all else fails I'll just get a sicce pump just out of curiosity to see how much more peaceful it might be. I don't think the return pump if similar in specs would make any difference other than it being quiet hopefully 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, sabrefencer said:

Just get a sicce and be done with it j/k. Seriously though I haven't had many loud sicce or eheim pumps but I am going to try placing some silicone material underneath- the kind that you use to dry your dishes on or maybe a neoprene mouse pad - something that doesn't leach back into the water. I'm not banking on a replacement being that much better. My 4 year old vortechs on my other tank are much more pleasant to listen to. 

oh this isnt a noise issue for me.  If you look at my 25 thread you will see my battle with sicce noise. lol  This is a better made pump issue. haha

6 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I don't want to see that beautiful tank in jeopardy in any way so I'd say use the Sicce ASAP. I'd be surprised if any contestant felt differently. 

Yeah, I am just tired of broken pumps and want to be done with it (IM pumps) once and for all.  

And i have to see if @jedimasterben and @metrokat what the approved size is... I would hate to buy the wrong one and be disqualified. lol and I have no use for two sicces.

• Like 4
sabrefencer

@lkoechle- I happen to have a sicce 1.0 and that pump is super quiet - I might just swap it out - and your tank looks awesome btw. Nice choice of sponges 

Never had any IM anything before but my eheim and sicce pumps have always provided reliable and quiet operation 

@lkoechle I'm cool with you getting a Sicce pump.

I forgot to say the other day Ike at Current USA

was quick to replace the part making the noise and shutting my light off. It ended up being the ramp timer pro controller making the high pitch noise and shutting the light off. But all is good now works perfect and has put a good taste in my mouth towards Current USA.

• Like 5
MaineReefkeeper
1 hour ago, lkoechle said:

Thanks!

My tank is running with just the IM pump and seeing all these issues has me worried also!!! 

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I am only following and not a contestant so I have nothing vested here. I think after 3 weeks of constant failure that it is time to allow a substitute pump.

I agree, I know the pump issue was not something that was really foreseen but I think an approved substitute is the way to go since the IM pumps are apparently worthless junk.

• Like 3

HUH?  If you have the IM 14, you want the SICCE 0.5 pump.... NOT the 1.0

I have two 14's with Sicce 0.5 in them.... I can't imagine any more flow from the main pump.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, LX20000 said:

HUH?  If you have the IM 14, you want the SICCE 0.5 pump.... NOT the 1.0

I have two 14's with Sicce 0.5 in them.... I can't imagine any more flow from the main pump.

Maybe for you... There is a flow dial on the sicces for people scared of 200+ gph.  the original IM Pump is 211 gph. the sicce 1.0 is 250 something gph.  The .5 is 138 gph which is the same amount of flow I have in my 5 gallon. 1.0 is not too much flow for a 14 gallon tank.

I have a 1.5 on a 25 and still need an MP10 at 75%. 

a 1.0 is probably the best sized sicce for this tank especially since it has a flow dialer thingy for people who dont want to run it wide open.

• Like 1

I agree with the sicce pump. I think my replacement IM pump is about to die. It's grinding and blowing bubbles. I think the 1.0 would be a good choice as it is most similar. @lkoechle - put a pump in there. I don't think anyone would disqualify you 

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic