Innovative Marine Aquariums

100 Days of Nanos - An Official Nano-Reef Contest

metrokat

Coral_chef

Just left one of the LFS they had like 10 different bubble mushrooms there, all way out of my budget but first ones I've seen in person. I don't think the price is worth the hype. But still cool 

IMG_9464.JPG

• Like 11
16 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

Just left one of the LFS they had like 10 different bubble mushrooms there, all way out of my budget but first ones I've seen in person. I don't think the price is worth the hype. But still cool imageproxy.php?img=&key=c50b0cddbe5b031b

IMG_9464.JPG

I think they are ugly and would rather have a kenya tree in my tank.  LOL

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

Just left one of the LFS they had like 10 different bubble mushrooms there, all way out of my budget but first ones I've seen in person. I don't think the price is worth the hype. But still cool imageproxy.php?img=&key=c50b0cddbe5b031b

IMG_9464.JPG

Mushrooms with canker sores. Pass.

• Like 4
StinkyBunny

Never saw the fascination with those damn things. I sell quite a few, but as for me keeping one or paying what these sharks want for them will never happen. There was one on the WYSIWYG list a few months back that was $1800 before shipping, I loled.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Never saw the fascination with those damn things. I sell quite a few, but as for me keeping one or paying what these sharks want for them will never happen. There was one on the WYSIWYG list a few months back that was $1800 before shipping, I loled.

Well I have a few and didn't pay that much for them.......they are ok but still a shroom......

• Like 2

I think it would be cool if the contest tanks were sticky'd at the top of the tank journal page for the duration of the contest (was this said already & I'm late to the party?)

• Like 2

Hi guys, I dont have any luck with the light installation using the adjustable arm

kit. Anyone encounters problem(s) using the Current Orbit adjustable arm bracket with the Orbit Marine Pro light that we received for the contest? Seems like you guys just use the attached steel wire docking legs over the tank glasses. Or if you lean the adjustable arm kit with tour tank against the wall to firm up and level the light fixture to stop the end from sagging. First thing I found is the light seems a bit too heavy for two plastic screws to suspend horizontally and light sags quite a bit and looks very unattractive. Second, the two light clips (only need one in my case) that came with the bracket kit barely gribs the grooves on the side of the light assembly. Lastly, anyone successfully remove the adjustable steel wire legs from the ends of the light or do they permanently stay on the light assembly? Seems like the end caps have been epoxy for water proofing purpose and cannot be loosened even with the 2 end cap screws removed. I might snap the steel legs with a cutting pliers once I space the gap on the adjustable clamp bracket with a thicker piece of plywood to snug it instead of using just the flimpsy Velco tape. This will prevent the arm to pivot down by gravity. Please let me know if you have other ideas. Thanks

• Like 2

@luu78 don't use the spacer provided. I find it sits straight when not using it. I snapped on both clamps but according to @spectra, they are for use with another orbit light. Use the mounting screws provided. I haven't been able to get the legs out either - spectra says pull really hard but I feel like I'm going to break it 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, luu78 said:

Hi guys, I dont have any luck with the light installation using the adjustable arm

kit. Anyone encounters problem(s) using the Current Orbit adjustable arm bracket with the Orbit Marine Pro light that we received for the contest? Seems like you guys just use the attached steel wire docking legs over the tank glasses. Or if you lean the adjustable arm kit with tour tank against the wall to firm up and level the light fixture to stop the end from sagging. First thing I found is the light seems a bit too heavy for two plastic screws to suspend horizontally and light sags quite a bit and looks very unattractive. Second, the two light clips (only need one in my case) that came with the bracket kit barely gribs the grooves on the side of the light assembly. Lastly, anyone successfully remove the adjustable steel wire legs from the ends of the light or do they permanently stay on the light assembly? Seems like the end caps have been epoxy for water proofing purpose and cannot be loosened even with the 2 end cap screws removed. I might snap the steel legs with a cutting pliers once I space the gap on the adjustable clamp bracket with a thicker piece of plywood to snug it instead of using just the flimpsy Velco tape. This will prevent the arm to pivot down by gravity. Please let me know if you have other ideas. Thanks

Ok for the light 

1. Do not use the spacer

2. Unscrew both end caps 

3. There is plastic clips in the end caps keeping the steel legs in.

4. The end cap with no plug will come off easy

the one with the wire will only come out about a inch which is enough to remove those plastic clips.

5. Screw the end caps back on.

6. Mount the arm without the spacer.

7. Use the ((4)1/2 inch screws) that came in the spacer pack and the 4 washers from the arm mount 

8. Center the light on the arm mount.

9. Install the screws spaced evenly.

10. Look at the beauty you just did.

• Like 5

Thank you! I ended up cutting a piece of 1/2" plywood in place of the shim provided and tighten the bracket screws while lifting up the other end of the light. It seems to be holding well. I will leave the steel legs on as an insurance just in case my light tips over the it can rest over the front glass edge for now. Actually, I got it off. Just counter hold the light and lean the side of a screw driver to the vertical part of leg then quickly tap/hammer the side of screwdriver and it snaps right off from light. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thank you everyone for helping!

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, stellablue said:

@luu78 don't use the spacer provided. I find it sits straight when not using it. I snapped on both clamps but according to @spectra, they are for use with another orbit light. Use the mounting screws provided. I haven't been able to get the legs out either - spectra says pull really hard but I feel like I'm going to break it 

Yup just pull really hard.................:lol: that's what I did..................

10 minutes ago, Addinali said:

Ok for the light 

1. Do not use the spacer

2. Unscrew both end caps 

3. There is plastic clips in the end caps keeping the steel legs in.

3. The end cap with no plug will come off easy

the one with the wire will only come out about a inch which is enough to remove those plastic clips.

5. Screw the end caps back on.

6. Mount the arm without the spacer.

7. Use the ((4)1/2 inch screws) that came in the spacer pack and the 4 washers from the arm mount 

8. Center the light on the arm mount.

9. Install the screws spaced evenly.

10. Look at the beauty you just did.

Great write up ;) I just pulled really hard and they came off...........

I didn't even tighten the light to the tank as if I did the light was not level.............I can just walk up and pull the light off................

3 minutes ago, luu78 said:

Thank you! I ended up cutting a piece of 1/2" plywood in place of the shim provided and tighten the bracket screws while lifting up the other end of the light. It seems to be holding well. I will leave the steel legs on as an insurance just in case my light tips over the it can rest over the front glass edge for now. Actually, I got it off. Just counter hold the light and lean the side of a screw driver to the vertical part of leg then quickly tap/hammer the side of screwdriver and it snaps right off from light. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

No need for a shim at all it will hold without it.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, luu78 said:

Thank you everyone for helping!

14 hours ago, spectra said:

Yup just pull really hard.................:lol: that's what I did..................

Great write up ;) I just pulled really hard and they came off...........

I didn't even tighten the light to the tank as if I did the light was not level.............I can just walk up and pull the light off................

No need for a shim at all it will hold without it.

Thanks @spectra.

Also if your light is not level but you want it tight.

Just take the arm off and bend it with a little strength and some elbow grease you can have it tight and level. 

There's no need for that wood once you do this.

• Like 3

Ok I honestly don't remember who asked me this but this is how I use the InTank floss holder in my contest tank. I put floss in the holder and use a media bag tied to the bottom with a ziptie. When it's time to change the media, I just clip it off, discard the media, rinse the bag and attach with a new ziptie. 

IMG_2900.JPG

IMG_2901.JPG

I used this in my IM 10 and my dad uses this in his IM 10 as well. 

• Like 12
3 minutes ago, stellablue said:

Ok I honestly don't remember who asked me this but this is how I use the InTank floss holder in my contest tank. I put floss in the holder and use a media bag tied to the bottom with a ziptie. When it's time to change the media, I just clip it off, discard the media, rinse the bag and attach with a new ziptie. 

IMG_2900.JPG

IMG_2901.JPG

I used this in my IM 10 and my dad uses this in his IM 10 as well. 

I'm using a hook from $1 pack from WM! Great minds! 

IMG_9385.thumb.JPG.b93940718e14fa46df64e42ab425efca.JPG

• Like 9

looks good. i got the same basket. i was debating if i wanna use the whole area under chamber 1 and 2 for chaeto and just plop and bag of carbon near the return pump. but this looks good too.

• Like 5

Not contest related... directly... I mean I will be using this behind the scenes.  But anyways, we finally got the craftroom-office finished and I usually wear aprons for everything.  Cooking, cleaning, dealing with kids, etc.  

So, for the inaugural use of my sewing machine in Florida,  I decided I wanted to do something fast and easy and made a tank maintenance apron!

33995419103_38d3776521_c.jpg

33961871304_fab3d7e6d1_c.jpg

It's only a half apron because I find that I'm usually resisting the urge to wipe wet things on my other aprons.  So I didn't feel the need for a full apron.  I think it's cute.  I loved the fabric.   Too bad I already did my WC today! <_<

• Like 12
1 hour ago, lkoechle said:

Not contest related... directly... I mean I will be using this behind the scenes.  But anyways, we finally got the craftroom-office finished and I usually wear aprons for everything.  Cooking, cleaning, dealing with kids, etc.  

So, for the inaugural use of my sewing machine in Florida,  I decided I wanted to do something fast and easy and made a tank maintenance apron!

33995419103_38d3776521_c.jpg

33961871304_fab3d7e6d1_c.jpg

It's only a half apron because I find that I'm usually resisting the urge to wipe wet things on my other aprons.  So I didn't feel the need for a full apron.  I think it's cute.  I loved the fabric.   Too bad I already did my WC today! <_<

Cute!  Love the fishie prints! :lol:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Hahaha! I usually tuck a rag into my waistband :rolleyes: Your apron is MUCH cuter!!

Yeah I just keep a towel near by and end up dripping all over myself 

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic