Pod Your Reef

100 Days of Nanos - An Official Nano-Reef Contest

metrokat

6 minutes ago, seabass said:

@lkoechle, that's very exciting!  Whatever you do, DON'T take a picture of it with a blank Post-it, start setting it up, and Photoshop in the writing on the 10th. ;)

Damnit, now I'm getting ideas and they're going to investigate me for image fragments...

• Like 7
9 minutes ago, seabass said:

@lkoechle, that's very exciting!  Whatever you do, DON'T take a picture of it with a blank Post-it, start setting it up, and Photoshop in the writing on the 10th. ;)

I don't have photoshop because I don't do freelance illustration... I wouldn't even know where to begin...;) How does a pc even turn on?

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Man, your gonna hate just staring at that thing for the next 19 days!

I know.... Its okay, I will have more time to chop up my dry bar its going on. 

• Like 3
Just now, Pjanssen said:

Can we start cycling/curing dry rock ahead of time?

As I understand it, the tank has to be dry so you would have to cycle the rock in bucket or something.

• Like 1
Just now, lkoechle said:

As I understand it, the tank has to be dry so you would have to cycle the rock in bucket or something.

That's what I was thinking, cycle in a bucket and transfer over on the 10th

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Pjanssen said:

That's what I was thinking, cycle in a bucket and transfer over on the 10th

Or use LR...  I think I am going that route from the LFS.  It will be a little expensive but it will shorten/skip the cycle and I will be less concerned about accidentally overloading the tank.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Or use LR...  I think I am going that route from the LFS.  It will be a little expensive but it will shorten/skip the cycle and I will be less concerned about accidentally overloading the tank.

I was thinking of using some cured live rock that I have, but I can't be sure that it's from Florida, and I want this to be Florida all the way. Wish I could just dive down about 50-60 feet and pick some up from the bottom of the ocean! Damn conservation laws! 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I was thinking of using some cured live rock that I have, but I can't be sure that it's from Florida, and I want this to be Florida all the way. Wish I could just dive down about 50-60 feet and pick some up from the bottom of the ocean! Damn conservation laws! 

KP Aquatics lets you do local pick up and their LR is from the keys. :) They're in ft lauderdale I think

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

LP Aquatics lets you do local pick up and their LR is from the keys. :) They're in ft lauderdale I think

LP Aquatics? I've emailed KP Aquatics, waiting to hear from them on some options.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

KP is where I got mine from a couple of weeks ago. They dove for it on Sunday, I had it in my tank on Wednesday, and the dieoff finished earlier this week.

1 minute ago, jedimasterben said:

KP is where I got mine from a couple of weeks ago. They dove for it on Sunday, I had it in my tank on Wednesday, and the dieoff finished earlier this week.

Awesome! so 1 week and you're ready to go? With my current tank I used cured live rock and had a very soft cycle, so I honestly don't know what to expect using actual live rock. I guess I better start reading. Nano knows there are enough threads on cycling a tank!

• Like 1
jedimasterben
12 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Awesome! so 1 week and you're ready to go? With my current tank I used cured live rock and had a very soft cycle, so I honestly don't know what to expect using actual live rock. I guess I better start reading. Nano knows there are enough threads on cycling a tank!

I got it in the tank on the 5th, and I think it was Tuesday of this week (the 18th) that I noticed the ammonia badge no longer read anything and there was a nice blanket of diatoms covering everything. This was with no help during the cycle - I have a bottle of Seachem Alpha (a supercharged version of Prime) that I was attempting to use to oxidize ammonia to essentially eliminate negative symptoms of the dieoff, but I didn't see the little expiration sticker on the bottom... 2014 <_<  So safe to say that bottle really doesn't do anything anymore, and I accidentally made the cycle significantly more harsh than it needed to be. Oops.

• Like 5
31 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

wonder if they'd let me dive with them and hand pick what I want! That would be so cool!

• Like 1

This is amazing!  I just purchased the 20 gallon version of this tank with the PRO light two weeks ago.  Even though I can't take part in the contest, my 20gal. and I will be right along with you for the ride.  I can't wait to see what comes of this contest.  It's going to be great to learn all about the things the different reefers do with their tanks.  Plus, it's going to be interesting and helpful to see how people problem solve.  For example - How in the hell will you get the PRO light attached to the arm?  I've been messing with it for two weeks and have done nothing but fail.  This will be fun and a great learning opportunity.  Thanks for putting this on!

• Like 2
StinkyBunny
2 hours ago, seabass said:

moosh4.jpg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, lkoechle said:

I don't have photoshop because I don't do freelance illustration... I wouldn't even know where to begin...;) How does a pc even turn on?

Computers is easy!

• Like 4
jedimasterben
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

wonder if they'd let me dive with them and hand pick what I want! That would be so cool!

Don't know if they would let you (when it comes to businesses and what they have to do stay insured and crap like that, you never know what they can and can't do), but a couple of years ago I actually went down south and met Philipp at the Fort Lauderdale airport where he had to ship out a bunch of rock and got mine right then and there. We talked for probably an hour and a half lol, didn't end up getting back to Okeechobee until after midnight.

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic