Coral Vue Hydros

Most important equipment for a new tank with a small stand

slackcub

I am going to be acquiring a 40g hex tank with stand, no equipment.  There isn't a lot of room in the stand underneath due to the dimensions of the tank, so I need some help.  I need a recommendation on which filtration equipment I should really focus on, and what is the best way to use it.  I'm open to any options, including hang on back, or self-contained type filtration items.   At this time, I'm not planning on having any corals in it, though down the road (a couple years), that may change.  

I Would go with an AC 110 (Aquaclear) And maybe a Protein Skimmer.  Depends on ur Bio-load.

I am sure others will chime in...I Hope.

For filteration either a skimmer or hang on filter using filter floss and carbon or both pieces of euipment. 

When setting up, if theres any chance you will get the urge to get into corals sooner than later(which happens to most) its best to start off buying what you will need now because replacing/upgrading is more expensive.

Thanks for the input Astinus and Clown79.  I see you recommended the AC 110, however, I'd like to get some options.  Are there any specific HOB skimmer/filter lines I could also look at?

I've used pretty much every hob and they all do the same thing.

I currently switched from my ac to the api superclean because it has a dual intake with surface skimmer. It keeps my surface spotless, the ac didn't. 

40 gallons on a small stand sounds top heavy. 

I'm going to go against the grain with my answer. It comes to mind because I live in an area prone to earthquakes that like to make top heavy things tip over. 

Get some brackets to bolt the stand to the wall. Something like that tipping over would be a disaster. Not just good against quakes either, protects against drunken house guests, other pets, kids, an aggressive vacuum....

I put it up there with decent lights as important equipment. 

bolt the stand to the wall as previously stated.  For equipment that will take up interior stand space, your ATO reservoir whould be in there and your most important space taker upper IMO.  like others said, an HOB would be your best filtration option.  sumps are nice though if you want more equipment (skimmer, probes, hiding the heater, etc) but it sounds like you would probably need to build a stand for that. Which would be worth the extra trouble IMO.  you can also repurpose furniture like a buffet or dresser for a stand.

Archived