Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help! Sick Clown!

Alexraptor

So I didn't really give it much thought at first as my two clownfish scrap from time to time, but I think my female clownfish has developed a parasitic infection as she's got lesions that won't go away on her body.

I tried to get as good pictures as I could.

Sickclown1.thumb.jpg.3fed82d973c61dc1748f2131d7d51475.jpg

Sickclown2.thumb.jpg.cc1ff5a42cd508ee01bc7c820f262051.jpg

Sickclown3.thumb.jpg.07d56b22fd8ef2dfdaaddb8d16b6e4a9.jpg

She's been like this 2-3 weeks now, the lesions don't seem to have progressed much but they won't go away either.

She's gotten skinny despite being properly fed. She's got a good and healthy appetite and does not seem to be behaving in an abnormal fashion, though her swimming is a little wobbly with her pectoral fins being clamped. Can't tell if breathing is abnormally fast but it does not appeared to be labored in any way.

They have not been exposed to any new animals for 4-5 months, which is when they got moved to a new setup with new rock and inverts, but the tank in question had been fish-less for another 6 months prior to the clowns being introduced. The male clownfish does not seem to be affected.

Any ideas on what this is and how to treat?

• 3 weeks later...
Alexraptor

Status quo for the most part. Did finally manage to nail it down to an intestinal parasite, stringy poop. So I gave both clowns a 6 hour bath with a Praziquantel based medication. So i'll have to wait and see if the female clown starts bulking up again in time.

Alexraptor

I did manage to kill the parasites and she's pooped them all out but the treatment came too late, she was in very bad shape today so I had to euthanize her. :(

She was practically flat as a pancake after purging the parasite, so I guess it had just taken its toll on her.

I scooped her out into a small dish, and steadied her vertically with a pair of large forceps(no pressure, just for support) and gave her a quick clean cut to the neck with a pair of surgical scissors. She didn't even flinch and went limp in an instant.

Sadly clove oil or other anesthetics are not readily available in my country so this was the most humane thing I could do to end her suffering. :(

WV Reefer
47 minutes ago, Alexraptor said:

I did manage to kill the parasites and she's pooped them all out but the treatment came too late, she was in very bad shape today so I had to euthanize her. :(

She was practically flat as a pancake after purging the parasite, so I guess it had just taken its toll on her.

I scooped her out into a small dish, and steadied her vertically with a pair of large forceps(no pressure, just for support) and gave her a quick clean cut to the neck with a pair of surgical scissors. She didn't even flinch and went limp in an instant.

Sadly clove oil or other anesthetics are not readily available in my country so this was the most humane thing I could do to end her suffering. :(

Ooh no :( so sorry you had to do that. 

The Reef Novice

Sorry to hear that Alexraptor that's pretty sad. I couldn't imagine doing that to my clowns.

Archived