ReefCleaners.org

Pulsing Xenia - Health Check

colinlevy

I got a pulsing Xenia as kind of a impulse buy. They gave it to me for $5 with my clown fish. So I said yes, and did my research on it as I was driving home with it.

Been in the tank 3 days and it seems to be doing alright (just a good guess)

In the display at the store, all the buds/stems/pedals (not sure what to call them) were open and pulsing in unison, looked like a masterpiece. 3 days in my tank and most of them seem to be open, though only a few pulse (at different times too) and a few of them even seem to be bent back and not doing much.

Here is a video I took of them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kfhpqw6g31itoaf/0418172101.mp4?dl=0

What do you all think? healthy? 

Simulated Fish
29 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

If it's not dead you should kill it. 

With love and care of course! Lol people forget that if you frag it then you will always have a discount at the LFS!

Hi Colinlevy,

I have been away from hobby for a while but My opinion on your Xenia is that its fine, Xenia is pretty robust but can take a few days to be real happy. From my past experience they seem to really thrive in slightly polluted water, and thrive less in super clean water conditions and grows like weeds almost to uncontrollable if the spread not kept in check. 

I also remember that it stinks quite alot when fragged/ripped

It is a interesting coral to watch

Xenia is beyond hardy. You can chop it up and put it in a tank and get it everywhere. 

They don't always pulse. In lower flows they pulse more, in higher flow they don't.

They also love light. 

ReefSafeSolutions

I've also read that alkalinity affects how well the xenia will pulse.  If it gets too low, sometimes the movements get lethargic.

I am in the same boat.  Bought a nice chunk of it this past weekend and it seems to be fine, just lacking in the pulsing action.

Archived