Coral Vue Hydros

SNG's 40b...new pics 2-6-18

slowngreen

40b upgraded from 20l, just getting it going dec 7th 2017.

Been a while but I'm back. 

Tank is up and cycling. 

20L with overflow box

20ish lbs of rock

15 lbs sand

2x530 gph power heads, back one on a timer

750gph return

2x100w heaters

LED lighting 

20170416_124029.jpg

• Like 4
3 hours ago, slowngreen said:

Been a while but I'm back. 

Tank is up and cycling. 

20L with overflow box

20ish lbs of rock

15 lbs sand

2x530 gph power heads, back one on a timer

750gph return

2x100w heaters

LED lighting 

20170416_124029.jpg

I like the scape.  Are those just big tonga branch or did you sculpt them?

• Like 1

The one is Tonga, not sure on some of the others. Most is stuff I had left over when I sold my 75g a couple years ago. 

On the flow, I have the return limited to about half with a ball valve and with just one power head on full time it really doesnt seem to be flowing too much, didnt even move any sand really when I first turned it on. The back one I just have on the timer to help alternate some flow. I've though about getting a wp10 but too me they seem like too much flow.

It will be a mixed reef but mainly softies and lps, Im a softy for softies. I kind of just want to end up with something similar to my last tank but just scaled down....

This was my old setup...

001.jpg

• Like 4

Day 10 of running. Ammonia is at 0 and my Nitrites are also at 0. Diatoms and some gha have been going for about 5 days now. Should I go ahead and add a full 20l cuc pack? Then add my first fish once my cuc has been in a few days eating up whats already growing? Or would a full crew now not have enough to feed on?@markalot

Thanks. I've never actually used a cuc pack, always just bought a few snails/crabs at a time in the past. Think I might just keep doing that instead, it proved useful before.

• Like 1

Thanks! Glad to be back, missed reefing. All I did was put in all my bleached dry rock then added about 12lbs of live cured rock. I did add a small chunk of frozen mysis, shook it up in a feeding bottle and squirted it in. But I didn't add anything else. Day 3 was the only time I saw any ammonia, which was only .25 ppm. I never saw nitrites at all. 

Not off to a great start. I added my first fish, a Pajama, on Tuesday, he was fine yesterday, shy but swimming around some and today is stayed hidden most of the day. Never got him to eat anything then a few minutes ago I found him laying flat on the sand. I put him in a seperate tank with fresh salt water while I tested mine again and everything checks out, 1.026, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 79*. 400 cal, 0 phos, 8.2 ph, mag 1200... I did add a flower pot frag ($5) and it seems to be fine, extended nicely today so I don't know. 

That's a major bummer... Wish I could help but believe it or not I've never owned a fish. Hopefully someone else here can help you diagnose and save your fish.

Btw, your old setup is a beauty. How old was it in that shot?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, samnaz said:

Btw, your old setup is a beauty. How old was it in that shot?

Maybe close to a year? I don't remember for sure though.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

yeah I've always been partial to black sand. Switched to white on my last tank only to go back to black. Smaller is cool for less water changes for sure but at the same time I find my self wanting more room again. But Im going to try my best to stick with the 20 Long instead of upgrading.

• 3 weeks later...