SaltCritters.com

Torch good neighbor for my Hammer?

TripleTrouble

TripleTrouble

Just picked up the three headed torch coral yesterday. I initially had it on a rock shelf, but wanted to have it closer to my hammer. I read a bit and there seems to be some mixed feedback on whether they can be next to each other. In the pic, you'll clearly see the torch isn't fully extended since i just moved it. What do you think? Too close? 

IMG_2197.JPG

gone_PHiSHin

in my experience torch need to be segregated from other euphyllias.  frogspawn and hammer will be fine next to each other but torch can be nasty

Simulated Fish

I had a torch next to my hammer and it got stung up the next day. Promptly got moved  it away from the hammer. Glad I was off that day!

MainelyReefer

I have my frogspawn hammer and torch all within close proximity to each other, a few mm at full extension between them and occasionally a brush of polyps with the right flow, I say give it a shot as I ha ve witnessed 0 aggression between the three, as for the trumpets and mushrooms around them they get attacked unless I relocate after a few months growth. Nice corals!

Torches sweepers can be 3" or more in the right flow or settings and will definitely kill a head of hammer corals. I lost 3 heads one weekend when my urchin shifted the torch rock over a few inches

ReefSafeSolutions

It's been my experience that it depends on the torch.  Mine is close to two of my hammers and has been for a long time with no ill effects.  Obviously this isn't what everyone else is experiencing, so take it for what it's worth.

By the way...nice torch.  I dig those green ones.

Archived