Cultivated Reef

Just wanted to share my hungry acan colony!

Simulated Fish

Simulated Fish

I got this about a year ago durring a frag sale, it was in $10 for two heads/mouths. It has happily grown huge and was moved from my 8g a little over a month ago. I broke that tank down shortly after. Man I love this guy. This is just after feeding the tank, but I didn't Target feed as it got frozen last night. I try to only Target feed my corals 2 times a week. Not sure how many heads it is now, I can see about 11, but due to it being mounted sideways I can't see the back/ under side.

Not sure on the name but I love them!

IMG_20170415_190821.thumb.jpg.ac43b4fb65c862ebb8fd4e3e7316a982.jpg

IMG_20170415_190831.thumb.jpg.3ebf64d98a4b3adbbae60884530e58f2.jpg

14923020779451067300848.thumb.jpg.f5245782e946ce006d78c5df14fdbe67.jpg

• Like 9
TripleTrouble

Love it!  Think the frag I picked up is the same (pic attached)...believe they are lords acans but someone more expereinced please correct me if I'm wrong. 

How long until you started seeing growth?

IMG_2196.JPG

• Like 1
Simulated Fish
2 hours ago, TripleTrouble said:

Love it!  Think the frag I picked up is the same (pic attached)...believe they are lords acans but someone more expereinced please correct me if I'm wrong. 

How long until you started seeing growth?

About a 4-6 weeks, it was slow tell I got my nanobox retro for the biocube then it had a new head every 3weeka or so! I also am a heavy feeder and mad sure every head got shrimp chunks from the frozen I feed at least once, If not twice, a week.

Here is a photo from 5/28/16 of when I first got them, pulled it from my biocube build log

post-89131-0-70057300-1464493209_thumb.jpg

2 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Nice!  I love acans too. Picked up 4 frags today at the Atlanta coral expo.  Getting them acclimated now. 

Nice what did you get? Show em off!

• 4 months later...

I have very similar - I got mine in April 2017 for free ?? Birthday coupon ?? It was four heads the size of a dime each when fully extended.  I named him the Audrey III - lol!!!  

IMG_6155.JPG

IMG_6156.JPG

And now each of the largest heads are about two inches across and in all the colony is about 3" high by 6" long!  It's a beast!!

IMG_6884.JPG

If it's the type I have, they are classified as micromussa lords. Now ??

Scary growth!! Lol!!  I love him!  I am trying my hardest to find others nearby so I don't have to pay s & h but I'm having no luck!  It really is a show stealer ??❤️

• 2 weeks later...

What salt are you using and whats your ALK? Im using Red Sea Coral Pro salt and my acans are loosing tissue. I put them in indirect flow this morning and moved them to the back of the tank away from the nano box light but everything ive read about tissue loss is due to the alk being too high. RSCP salt has a natural alk of about 11 and everything ive read says 9 is the sweet spot for alk with dealing with Acans. 

I'm not even gonna lie ... I don't have an alk test!  Nitrates are at about 15 with cheap test, ph 8.2, calcium about 440-460.  I do about 1/3 gallon water changer every day.  And use premixed water from petco.... I know better because I kept reef tanks for about ten years before stopping for about ten.  But this is my easy little tank - Its been up since March.  But it's doing so well that I'm getting my s!*t together and will be getting the proper tests soon :-)  I actually won a box of nice box of salt in a Facebook auction last weekend!! So I'm excited about that!!

image.jpg