Pod Your Reef

What would you do?

taat2d

As I IMPATIENTLY await the arrival of my my IM 40, (upgrading from the JBJ 28), I'm trying to decide on a few things to change. I currently have and use an Aquamaxx HOB1. I'm think of changing it for either the medium IM Ghost skimmer or the Tunze 9004, or whichever ones will fit in the rear chamber. I'd like to keep everything as hidden as possible if I could for a clean look. Can I get some opinions from those have or have used any of these skimmers please? The most important thing for me though is to use the BEST ONE. If that means keep the HOB 1, then so be it. But I wanted to explore my options.

Thanks,

Joe

2 hours ago, taat2d said:

As I IMPATIENTLY await the arrival of my my IM 40, (upgrading from the JBJ 28), I'm trying to decide on a few things to change. I currently have and use an Aquamaxx HOB1. I'm think of changing it for either the medium IM Ghost skimmer or the Tunze 9004, or whichever ones will fit in the rear chamber. I'd like to keep everything as hidden as possible if I could for a clean look. Can I get some opinions from those have or have used any of these skimmers please? The most important thing for me though is to use the BEST ONE. If that means keep the HOB 1, then so be it. But I wanted to explore my options.

Thanks,

Joe

The aquamaxx is the highest rated hob skimmer on just about every site. 

7 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

The aquamaxx is the highest rated hob skimmer on just about every site. 

Better than either the Tunze or Ghost in your opinion?

23 minutes ago, taat2d said:

Better than either the Tunze or Ghost in your opinion?

I've never used it.... I just browse a lot of websites in preparation for a new tank setup and see lots of reviews on the aquamaxx. Lots of youtube videos too. 

I am am sure there are people on here with more skimmer experience. 

I've used the aquamax HOB skimmer and it's awesome :) The Cadlights PLS-50 Elite is also awesome! ...if you can find it 

43 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

I've used the aquamax HOB skimmer and it's awesome :) The Cadlights PLS-50 Elite is also awesome! ...if you can find it 

Will the Cadlights fit inside one of the chambers on the IM 40?

Well, this mod let me put the skimmer into my Fusion 20. Not sure if the stock skimmer will fit in the 40, but I think the rear wall in the 40 gives a bit more room?

3 hours ago, taat2d said:

Will the Cadlights fit inside one of the chambers on the IM 40?

I  have the pls50 elite in my  IM 30l fits with no mods, Works well. Not really hidden as it sticks out quite a bit

5 hours ago, Mariaface said:

Well, this mod let me put the skimmer into my Fusion 20. Not sure if the stock skimmer will fit in the 40, but I think the rear wall in the 40 gives a bit more room?

I think the 40 has a 4 inch chamber.

1 hour ago, pal said:

I  have the pls50 elite in my  IM 30l fits with no mods, Works well. Not really hidden as it sticks out quite a bit

If that's the case then I'd keep the Aquamaxx, or look for something that would be more hidden in the rear chamber. As long as it's a good quality skimmer.

Archived