Innovative Marine Aquariums

20g High Start Up

cvest100

So the bug hit me again...  Went out today and bought some goodies.  It's all setup and running!

Equipment:

Standard 20 gallon tank

Aquaclear 70 HOB

SeaClone 100 Protien Skimmer

Hydor Koralia 1

Fluval SEA Marine and Reef 2.0 LED

Not running anything in the filter yet.  Wanted to let things settle out before I put anything in it.  Anyone got suggestions on what to run in it?  Put some very cloudy pics up. Only has about 11 pounds of live rock so far.  Going back to my LFS tomorrow to grab some more.  Looks like I'll be busy for the next few months! ?

20170414_185015.jpg

2017-04-14 18.50.27.jpg

Thanks Mkbarton!  I know I'll need a new light before I try to do anything high light demanding, but adding some rock to the top would probably be a good idea!

Tested the water today.  Ammonia and nitrites are still sitting at 0, but my Nitrates are at about 40ppm.  Pretty sure I should do a water change, but with it being a new tank I'm confused as to why I'd have nitrates already with no ammonia or nitrite present....  Tank was set up Friday with live sand and live rock.  Bought RO premixed from my LFS. (Nothing but positive reviews online and from folks I know that have used their water.). HELP!!!!!!!  I've never had a tank produce nitrates before I detected ammonia or nitrites....  Thanks in advance for the help!

Interesting....

Do you know if the rock was already cured?

Did you add bacteria to the tank?

I have a friend who had a cycle that was that quick using Bio-Spira bacteria, and if the rock was already cured that would help as well. 

In your shoes I might try adding a few snails and keep an eye on ammonia, nitrite, nitrate for a week.

1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

Interesting....

Do you know if the rock was already cured?

Did you add bacteria to the tank?

I have a friend who had a cycle that was that quick using Bio-Spira bacteria, and if the rock was already cured that would help as well. 

In your shoes I might try adding a few snails and keep an eye on ammonia, nitrite, nitrate for a week.

My LFS is really busy almost all the time and I have no idea where they get their rock from.  Might give them a call and ask.  I havent added anything to the tank in terms of bacteria or things like that.  I did notice that I had two hermit crabs in there that I assumed were somehow attached the to live rock when my LFS packed it up for me.  I figured they wouldn't last long so I didn't bother adding anything to jump start the cycle.  They're still kicking as of now...

26 minutes ago, cvest100 said:

My LFS is really busy almost all the time and I have no idea where they get their rock from.  Might give them a call and ask.  I havent added anything to the tank in terms of bacteria or things like that.  I did notice that I had two hermit crabs in there that I assumed were somehow attached the to live rock when my LFS packed it up for me.  I figured they wouldn't last long so I didn't bother adding anything to jump start the cycle.  They're still kicking as of now...

Hmm, well in that case I'd feed just a little bit of food into the tank for the hermits and keep an eye on them and parameters for a week or so.

Just now, Weetabix7 said:

Hmm, well in that case I'd feed just a little bit of food into the tank for the hermits and keep an eye on them and parameters for a week or so.

Will do! Thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

Diatom bloom already?  I've never had a tank cycle this quickly and it's starting to freak me out!  Tested all params and still no ammonia or nitrites.  About 10ppm nitrates after a 2 gallon water change yesterday.  Tank has been up for a week today...

20170421_163719.jpg

Did about a 2.5 gallon WC a couple hours ago.  Retested everything.  Nitrates still looks high and my PH looks low.  How can I get both to stabilize?  Still no sign of any ammonia or nitrites. Tank has been up two weeks today.  Getting some gha as well.  Bought a cuc from John at Reefcleaners and they went in yesterday.  Did some good work on the bed, but the rocks still need work...

20170428_150810.jpg

Did you test PH near the beginning of the light cycle? 

It tends to be lower then, and rise higher near the end of the light cycle. 

41 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Did you test PH near the beginning of the light cycle? 

It tends to be lower then, and rise higher near the end of the light cycle. 

Just tested about 10 minutes ago.  Lights have been on since 8am, so about 7 hours....

Edited by cvest100
Moved pic
5 hours ago, cvest100 said:

Here is a better angle of what's growing on one rock. It kind of exploded this afternoon.  What is it???20170428_173727.thumb.jpg.69a7c3bc06e8a076e22650bf7535dd64.jpg

Looks like hair algae and probably diatoms.  I think lol.

10 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Looks like hair algae and probably diatoms.  I think lol.

I agree. 

I'm really glad you now have a CUC from John in there, that will help.

I'd keep the light off for 2 days and then when you turn it back on, keep it on for only an hour or two.

Your tank doesn't really need the light right now and it's just feeding the algae growth, give the CUC time to work on it.

Whatever you do, don't get into a pattern of "chasing" the PH and trying to get it perfect. 

Alkalinity is much more important, and if your Alk is stable, your PH will take care of itself.

Do you know what your Alk level is?

If you can't test for it, can your LFS?

The best thing at this stage to help Nitrates is Water Changes and time.

1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

I agree. 

I'm really glad you now have a CUC from John in there, that will help.

I'd keep the light off for 2 days and then when you turn it back on, keep it on for only an hour or two.

Your tank doesn't really need the light right now and it's just feeding the algae growth, give the CUC time to work on it.

Whatever you do, don't get into a pattern of "chasing" the PH and trying to get it perfect. 

Alkalinity is much more important, and if your Alk is stable, your PH will take care of itself.

Do you know what your Alk level is?

If you can't test for it, can your LFS?

The best thing at this stage to help Nitrates is Water Changes and time.

Good to hear it's something my cuc will munch on!  Most of them seem pretty active, but I have a few that went to the spots they're in right now and haven't moved since I put them in Thursday.  I don't have any way of testing Alk yet.  Didn't think I'd need one so soon!  My new stuff doesn't come in until Tuesday, so I hadn't planned any changes until next weekend.  I'll keep plugging away with water changes and testing to see if I can get my nitrates down.  Is there such a thing as too much when talking about water changes? I was thinking about 5 gallons a day, but I don't want to screw things up by exchanging too much water out. Thanks for the advice!

Hmmm. 

Maybe wait til tomorrow (Sunday) and test again. 

If you still see 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and high nitrate, do a 5g WC. 

Then wait til Tuesday & test again. If same results (^^^) do no more than a 5g WC. 

If results are different, update here and we can go from there. 

44 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Hmmm. 

Maybe wait til tomorrow (Sunday) and test again. 

If you still see 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and high nitrate, do a 5g WC. 

Then wait til Tuesday & test again. If same results (^^^) do no more than a 5g WC. 

If results are different, update here and we can go from there. 

Sounds like a plan!  How did anyone do this before the internet!?!?!?!  ?  You guys rock!!!

• Like 1