Jump to content
Wingy

Please help me think this out.

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

 

Sounds great to me, as long as you have a reasonable way of pulling off your plan. 

I have always loved watching the life emerge from good quality uncured live rock. 

I have an old tea jar to experiment with while I read through all the old threads.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I am going to a large indoor garage sale tomorrow and will be on the lookout for a glass container of some kind.  If the history of the container is unknown is there anything i should stay away from?  

Share this post


Link to post

I found an awesome container that looked like a giant martini glass.  Unfortunately it had a hairline crack in the stem so i passed on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Wingy said:

I found an awesome container that looked like a giant martini glass.  Unfortunately it had a hairline crack in the stem so i passed on it. 

I don't know if I would trust anything with a stem in case it breaks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I have not given up, life has just gotten in the way a bit.  One of my co-workers brought in the perfect container   Once road construction is finished and I can get to Hobby Lobby I hope to get started.    Once I put some rock and water in I am hoping it will tell me if it wants to be a macro garden or a pulsing xenia garden.  From what I have read I don't think I can have both in such a small space.  

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Wingy said:

I have not given up, life has just gotten in the way a bit.  One of my co-workers brought in the perfect container   Once road construction is finished and I can get to Hobby Lobby I hope to get started.    Once I put some rock and water in I am hoping it will tell me if it wants to be a macro garden or a pulsing xenia garden.  From what I have read I don't think I can have both in such a small space.  

 

Nice to see you're still around!!

You might be able to have both if you're willing to prune very regularly.

Share this post


Link to post

I am still here and visit almost every day.  I mostly lurk since I don't have anything to share yet.  Research and patience. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

What about using the xenia garden idea and no flow? Maybe their pumping will be enough flow? 

 

On 7/22/2017 at 9:13 AM, Wingy said:

I have not given up, life has just gotten in the way a bit.  One of my co-workers brought in the perfect container   Once road construction is finished and I can get to Hobby Lobby I hope to get started.    Once I put some rock and water in I am hoping it will tell me if it wants to be a macro garden or a pulsing xenia garden.  From what I have read I don't think I can have both in such a small space.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/22/2017 at 9:48 AM, Wingy said:

I am still here and visit almost every day.  I mostly lurk since I don't have anything to share yet.  Research and patience. :)

Random thought for you. If you're going to go with the internal pump idea, you could run a venturi air line to it to get some air in w/o having the noise of an air pump. Lot's of little pumps have a place for venturi lines. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/3/2017 at 9:39 AM, jahnje said:

Random thought for you. If you're going to go with the internal pump idea, you could run a venturi air line to it to get some air in w/o having the noise of an air pump. Lot's of little pumps have a place for venturi lines. 

Rio pumps always have them and you can get them as small as 50 or 90 gph.  In a gallon and half of water probably a 50 would be about right.  They give off a bit of heat but it might be enough that you wont need a heater.  I don't have a heater in my 3 gallon jar.

Share this post


Link to post

Last month I was gifted a nicely shaped small glass jug with a cork top that holds about 3.5 cups of water.  It has a smooth curve at the neck and there is almost no distortion.  I have been going back and forth on what I wanted to do with it and today I made the final decision going with Opae Ula.   My workplace has been stuggling through numerous HVAC issues and latelly frequent power outtages.  I stopped at PetCo and picked up some argonite substrate, a hunk of lava rock and some Instant Ocean Sea Salt as per the recommendation over at SuperShrimp.  I'm hoping to get the party started today in hopes of having critters sometime after the new year.  Hopefully I can grow algae better than I can grow houseplants.  😅

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Mixing 3.5 cups of water is going to be a measuring nightmare.  Can I just mix up a gallon of salt water, use what I need and freeze the rest in bags of 3.5 cups each?  

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Wingy said:

Mixing 3.5 cups of water is going to be a measuring nightmare.  Can I just mix up a gallon of salt water, use what I need and freeze the rest in bags of 3.5 cups each?  

The freezing process separates salt from water. Once you thaw it it’ll mix back, but why not just figure out how many tablespoon of salt you’ll need for 3.5 cups?

Share this post


Link to post

You had to make me do the math.  😂

Share this post


Link to post

You'll need it half salinity for Opae ula. I'd take a gallon of distilled and mix it half strength (so instead of 1/2 cup of salt per gallon for 1.025, use 1/4 cup).  I had a jug like this that I labeled brackish and kept for a while but never used it because I didn't get the shrimp at that time. Once I did, I just scooped out some water I'd mixed for my reefs and added an equal amount of fresh water to get the half salinity I wanted. 

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah my thought was to mix right in the jug, use what I needed and freeze the rest in food saver bags.  Water changes are supposed to be so minimal that a gallon will probably be a year worth so freezing is probably my safest bet to always have some on hand.

Share this post


Link to post

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions

×