inTank Media Baskets

Please help me think this out.

Wingy

Over the last week i have tried to picture my "something" sitting on my desk and i have narrowed the choices down to a vertical jar with xenia, a wide cylinder with live rock, macroalgae and hitchhikers or making a shrimp bowl that looks like a upside-down snow globe and hoping no one notices the shrimp.  I am not sure if the xenia would be happy with being thrust into a cooler and going for a car ride twice a week.  I have done some research on a muffle box for an air pump and i think i can miniaturize the boxes used with portable generators.  A cork top and base coated with silicone sealant, in theory, should quiet internal noise from a small internal filter or pump.     Decisions decisions.  I wish i could have all 3.  

Why on earth couldn't you combine them and have all 3??? 

They would all do fine together. 

Xenia is super resilient and could handle trips just fine. 

I like your ideas for muffling noise.

1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

Why on earth couldn't you combine them and have all 3??? 

They would all do fine together. 

Xenia is super resilient and could handle trips just fine. 

I like your ideas for muffling noise.

Would work fine unless he's referring to Opae Ula shrimp which do not do well in full salt water and need brackish.

3 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Would work fine unless he's referring to Opae Ula shrimp which do not do well in full salt water and need brackish.

Yeah, just reminded myself of that. 

I'm so used to thinking in SW terms, so I was of course thinking of the really small SW shrimps. 

Sorry, carry on!!

15 minutes ago, Wingy said:

What is the smallest sw shrimp?

Copepods and amphipods, so small that you'd never be caught out with them. 

Sorta like "Sea Monkeys". 

Will likely come in on their own as hitchhikers, they usually do, on live rock and stuff. 

After that, these are pretty small: https://www.kpaquatics.com/product/anemone-shrimp-pederson/

Stay smaller than an inch and are translucent, so less visually noticeable. 

However, they swim around a lot and are active. 

I have kept a tank with those shrimp, macroalgaes and xenia (the one in my sig). 

The hvac is out at work for the foreseeable future.  Plans are on hold while I try and determine if the hvac is going to be replaced and a timetable.

2 minutes ago, Wingy said:

The hvac is out at work for the foreseeable future.  Plans are on hold while I try and determine if the hvac is going to be replaced and a timetable.

More time to plan and scheme.... :ninja:

What about an underwater pump? They do take a lot of space and look horrible, but - hear me out.

What if you make an "artificial rock" and hide the pump inside?

Almost zero noise. And low footprint. And may even help heating the jar.

3 minutes ago, leoff said:

What about an underwater pump? They do take a lot of space and look horrible, but - hear me out.

That can be done, kinda like this: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-stream-rock-6200-250.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw0IvIBRDF0Yzq4qGE4IwBEiQATMQlMSthXgERTpGoumYHpaDSBtLqgnxOG7YuS9qBhaIUt7QaAujR8P8HAQ

7 hours ago, Wingy said:

I stopped at Petsmart and Walmart tonight and they had no air pumps.  The shelves were bare.  

Surely you could find a cheap one online, at Marine Depot, or Dr's Foster and Smith, or Amazon.

I absolutely could.  I was just suprised that the shelves were bare in both stores.   The hvac was replaced at work. They must have bought a larger unit because the air flow is much better and now it is darn right chilly in my corner.  

On 4/28/2017 at 7:07 PM, leoff said:

Heat from the pump will cock anything in the jar. Tried that been there.

I was doing some reading today that suggested that Pulsing Xenia needs no additional flow and that the pulsing provides all the water movement it needs.  It contradicts the care sheets that say everything from low to high flow.  Any thoughts?

One of the ideas i had swilring around in my head was a daily 100% water change by drips and spread out over 8 hours.  I could accomplish this by using a sun tea jar and changing out the spigot.  

Weetabix7
1 minute ago, Wingy said:

One of the ideas i had swilring around in my head was a daily 100% water change by drips and spread out over 8 hours.  I could accomplish this by using a sun tea jar and changing out the spigot.  

Huh. 

This is actually very interesting, I like the ideas you come up with!!

I think this could work. 

What were you thinking of for livestock in a system like this?

I was thinking of starting off with live rock (possibly uncured) and it's hitchhikers as the center piece flanked by the Xenia on one side and macro algae on the other (species undecided).   There is going to be die off from the rock so a slow but constant exchange of water might be good.

• Like 1
Weetabix7
47 minutes ago, Wingy said:

I was thinking of starting off with live rock (possibly uncured) and it's hitchhikers as the center piece flanked by the Xenia on one side and macro algae on the other (species undecided).   There is going to be die off from the rock so a slow but constant exchange of water might be good.

Sounds great to me, as long as you have a reasonable way of pulling off your plan. 

I have always loved watching the life emerge from good quality uncured live rock.