ReefCleaners.org

What's a Shrimp Goby For 2.5G Pico?

Fiesta_reef_time

Fiesta_reef_time

Hello,

Getting back into the reefing hobby after a little while with a 2.5G pico I have setup which is now up and running. 

I have sort of come to the conclusion that the only fish I would ever consider keeping in the tank is a single clown goby or a trimma goby. 

Are there any gobies small enough to be kept in a tank of this size and can be easily paired with a pistol shrimp ? 

11 minutes ago, Fiesta_reef_time said:

Hello,

Getting back into the reefing hobby after a little while with a 2.5G pico I have setup which is now up and running. 

I have sort of come to the conclusion that the only fish I would ever consider keeping in the tank is a single clown goby or a trimma goby. 

Are there any gobies small enough to be kept in a tank of this size and can be easily paired with a pistol shrimp ? 

Not sure really.  

Every time I think about a tiny goby in my 8" cube I change my mind.  Even though gobies are perchers more than swimmers, I just can't do it.  

gone_PHiSHin

yeah in my opinion a 2.5 gal is too small for any fish

maybe a clown goby i guess but i can't think of anything else i'd put in a 2.5g.  i think 5 gal is minimum for a fish.  you might have a tough time keeping the water clean with feeding a fish in a 2.5

MainelyReefer

Until last week I was keeping a pistol/yasha combo in my 4 gallon really like 3 in the display, then I added a small sw2 powerhead and haven't seen the yasha since so I think I puréed him unfortunately but he was happy as could be in that tank I just had murderous ambitions with my extra flow.  Powerhead is removed now haha but get a yasha it became my favorite fish so pretty and active.

gone_PHiSHin

i have a plan to start a 5 gal with an A80 just for a yasha/pistol combo, with mostly collector mushrooms/ricordea and any frags that come from my IM10.  i LOVE yashas and have never owned one, although i have owned a pistol shrimp/watchman goby pair.

if you do get a yasha, find one that has been tank raised.  i have heard on several accounts that they are much more more sociable and less timid.

Not sure about a pistol shrimp in a tank that small. One of the few LFS that I trust said pistols might even be too large for a 10 gallon. You can definitely have 1 fish. I can not think of the name right now but there is shrimp that will pair up with a goby that is much smaller than a pistol. Hope some one can recall what it is called for you. Maybe it is a certain kind of pistol but not a tiger pistol. Sorry I am not more help. Memory not what it used to be.

You could put a Grissingeri goby in there, at least you would occasionally see it :) or a small clown goby.

you could also go for some sexy shrimp, bumble bee shrimp, pom pom crab...

Or a few rough head blennies (TINY! check out KP aquatics) and pederson and spotted anemone shrimp (KP, too) (KP also has lots of nano size photosynthetic gorgonians and sponges, etc.).

you're going to have a tough time maintaining a stable water chemistry, though imho.

I had about 15 Eviota/Trimma/White cap gobies until I put a sponge that had a bunch of dying microorganisms on it in my tank, and the whole thing went into a cycle :(

good luck!

20 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Not sure about a pistol shrimp in a tank that small. One of the few LFS that I trust said pistols might even be too large for a 10 gallon. You can definitely have 1 fish. I can not think of the name right now but there is shrimp that will pair up with a goby that is much smaller than a pistol. Hope some one can recall what it is called for you. Maybe it is a certain kind of pistol but not a tiger pistol. Sorry I am not more help. Memory not what it used to be.

a tiger could but a candy stripe would be small enough.  there are different species of symbiotic pistol shrimps :)

My LFS has a Catalina Goby is a 2.5. Super colorful fish, has to be kept in cooler water though and it's not a shrimp goby, worth considering though if your willing to go without a pistol shrimp

There are at least 9 gobies or goby's then can be kept in a pico, El Fab and others including me had yellow tailed blue damels in 3 gallons. Thanks Ikoechle that is the one a candy strip

I would consider a yasha goby and Randalls pistol shrimp. That's a tiny tank but if you had some natural food available such as pods. You may get away without having to feed often. 

Archived