inTank Media Baskets

who's got the new BioCube 16 or 32?

Friendly

has anyone here deployed one of the new LED BioCube 16 or 32 tanks? 

what do you think of it so far?
what do you like?
what don't you like?
what are the available upgrades for it?

what did you change/upgrade?

I've been AFK for a bit as I just got married and we're upgrading from my 330sqft bachelor suite to a nicer 800sqft 1 bedroom. means I will have room to actually have a tank...or three or four, so I'm thinking the 16 or 32. reading a bit, the lights are enough for a few softies, but in reality, the need to be upgraded. I know Steve has a kit, so will likely look into that. I've also read that InTank has made some better filter modules. I'm not planning on being too extravagant...probably something like a couple clowns, and then some shrimo; especially would love a pistol shrimp and symbiont goby and a smattering of simple corals. 

I don't want a sump, so I'm looking for pointers/suggestions for things I should buy and change/upgrade. I know I'll need an ATO, lighting will need an upgrade eventually, same with pump and nozzles and that going with the InTank modules would be wise. 

if location matters at all, I live in British Canuckistan.

thanks all. :)  

Looking forward to some input as well.  I have a 29, and am thinking of upgrading to the 32...tank only, and using my current "guts" and light....not sure if the stuff in my 29 will be sufficient in the 32?

I have a 29 and am thinking of buying the 32 too. The 29 is a few years old (well I got it used and have had it 3 years, and THAT guy had got it used). Any idea if the 32 will fit on the stand? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

friendly bump on this to see if any new info is available or others have experience they can share now. :)  

my questions in the first post are still seeking answers:

- what do you think of it so far?
- what do you like?
- what don't you like?
- what are the available upgrades for it?

- what did you change/upgrade?

I'm very curious to know about upgrades for these. better filter baskets? LED upgrade kits? other? 

I have the Biocube 32. It is my first go at saltwater, just started it in March.

Only upgrade I currently did was getting the Intank media basket & fuge basket.

Imagine that if all goes great I would rather buy a bigger tank with better lights than putting the money into this ones upgraded lights.

I do hate the curved corners, just cause they are hard to clean. Also having to open the whole hood to get to media baskets, seem to drip water down the back of tank every single time. Could just be me though. :)

The fan on the light is loud too. Though seems like that is an easy thing to change.

In the end I really do like the tank. I am happy that I chose it as my first SW tank.

gone_PHiSHin

tbh i don't understand why you would buy a tank with intentions of immediately upgrading everything?  sounds like a waste of time/money

also if the 32's dimensions are just 2 inches taller than the 29 then you're going to need even more lighting than what's on the 29 to achieve the same PAR

• Like 1
On 6/18/2017 at 9:03 AM, gone_PHiSHin said:

tbh i don't understand why you would buy a tank with intentions of immediately upgrading everything?  sounds like a waste of time/money

also if the 32's dimensions are just 2 inches taller than the 29 then you're going to need even more lighting than what's on the 29 to achieve the same PAR

because it's looks like a good tank to start with and when you upgrade a few parts, you would then have spare parts on hand. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have the new 32.  I moved my rock and clowns and am running it stock.  I really want to add a skimmer, I dont think there are any easy solutions. Overall I like it.  I got the stand and built it but it was really unstable.  I just couldn't use it.  I dont recommend it unless you mod it to make it more stable.  

If it's the same stand that fits the 29, I'm not to surprised.  I have the stand for my 29 and it seems pretty stable to me, wonder if the extra few gallons of water, rock, etc., if it just doesn't work....good info.

Cpl_Wiggles

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/379610-wiggles-led-biocube-16/

Biocube 16 LED

Started in January 2017

12-13 actual gallons of water 

Removed Baskets

Media bag with Carbon Chamber 1

Filter Floss and egg crate Chamber 2

Live Rock

Hydor pump

Heater

You can build stand out of 2x4 that will be much stronger than any particle board stand they sell. 

.75 gallon water change once a week

Carbon every 2 weeks

Calcium cube every 2 weeks

Reef Builder as needed to increase alk and pH levels

Fish - Clown, Scooter Blenny

CUC - hermits, emerald, turbo, nassarius

Coral - Duncans, Frogspawn, acan, zoa, finger leather, monitpora

- what do you think of it so far?

1. I like it, I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't have spent the extra $20-30 for double the capacity which would allow some larger fish, but I didn't want to get too crazy. I'm approaching the top of my $1000 budget I set out starting from scratch - so remember it all adds up. 

2. If I did it again I would look into a shorter and longer setup. But again, I did buy a 'BioCUBE'.
- what do you like?

1. Nice setup, easy to get up and running, good view of everything

2. Pretty easy to clean glass

3. Can create some taller aquascapes to give character. I've created an arch in mine. 
- what don't you like?

1. Lights don't grow SPS very well - some have found success through crystal clear water parameters and good flow - I'm keeping a montipora and trying a small bird's nest but would have to up my water change intervals (I think) to really be able to make them grow well.

2. Having to reach into the tank to the bottom or to make any changes can get tight and frustrating. My turkey baster isn't long enough, it seems.

3. Cooling for lights and pump are considered "noisy" by some, but I don't really notice it because once the lid is shut it's basically a small hum and any water flow sounds is relaxing for me. I have no problem with either.
- what are the available upgrades for it?

1. LED kits for both 32 and 16 but cost more than original tank did - and plenty of DIY stuff.

- what did you change/upgrade?

1. All stock besides adding heater and extra pump to create complete top to bottom circular flow. Don't have evaporation issues, everything seems to be pretty happy so I've held off on skimmer. I'm just starting to spot feed my corals better in the hopes they will grow and fill up some of the spaces - then I'm sure I might have to move stuff around to space them better. 

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased BC LED 16 with stand three weeks ago....still cycling.  So far, so good.

Likes:   Lighting and programming is a big upgrade over previous versions.  JUst looking to grow softies, so should be fine

Built-in basket seems like it will be adequate for Chemipure, Phosguard, and ultimately a refugium

Upgraded stock pump to a Cobalt MJ1200

When I lift cover, seems like water that has accumulated on inside of cover comes pouring down onto floor [need to train myself to slowly raise cover]

Overall, seems like a solid unit.   Hope that helps.

• 9 months later...
SingingSiren

I have a Biocube 16 LED. It's a few months old, use to have a 55 gallon. Simple, easy, great for wanting to have saltwater but don't have the time or money to make it your MAIN hobby. 

Also think it's good because it doesn't take up a lot of room so it gives you more options to put it....