Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Overhauler's First Reef Build

OverHauler

OverHauler
9 minutes ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Nice! Tank is looking good. Maybe take a few rocks off the left island to make it lower than the right? 

That is what I was thinking.  Maybe get rid of the two shelf rocks i have over there and keep just the Pukani...

Might pull it out and chisel an arch or a cave in there...

• Like 1
OverHauler
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

Nice haul!  That hammer is super cool looking!

Thanks!  The Hammer is definitely my favorite frag.

• Like 1
OverHauler

Need a bit of advice.  You guys think these mushrooms could be separated from the zoas?

Nice mushrooms here so I'd kind of like to keep them but if not I'm going to go trade the whole drag.  Thoughts?

IMG_20170511_095032.jpg

8 minutes ago, OverHauler said:

Need a bit of advice.  You guys think these mushrooms could be separated from the zoas?

Nice mushrooms here so I'd kind of like to keep them but if not I'm going to go trade the whole drag.  Thoughts?

IMG_20170511_095032.jpg

They could be, yes. 

I would use either an exacto knife or dremel with diamond cutoff blade to cut a small sliver of rock off beneath the mushrooms and remove them that way. 

Might be slightly delicate work, but doable. 

• Like 1
OverHauler

Let me tell you guys a little story about how my wife went to the LFS yesterday to get some RODI water and spent $500 on some monti frags, 3 acropora and a huge Hydraphora.

Guess who is making the leap into SPS with a 3 month old tank?  I'm a touch ahead of schedule here.  Any advice?

IMG_20170514_174345.jpg

IMG_20170514_164534.jpg

FB_IMG_1494802382641.jpg

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, OverHauler said:

Let me tell you guys a little story about how my wife went to the LFS yesterday to get some RODI water and spent $500 on some monti frags, 3 acropora and a huge Hydraphora.

Guess who is making the leap into SPS with a 3 month old tank?  I'm a touch ahead of schedule here.  Any advice?

IMG_20170514_174345.jpg

IMG_20170514_164534.jpg

FB_IMG_1494802382641.jpg

Holy Wow!! :blink:

Ok, if you aren't doing it already, you will need to be testing and dosing for Alk and Ca regularly, and you're gonna want lower nutrient levels in your water than what you'd worry about for Softies or LPS. 

Congrats on pretty new pieces!!!

OverHauler
2 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Holy Wow!! :blink:

Ok, if you aren't doing it already, you will need to be testing and dosing for Alk and Ca regularly, and you're gonna want lower nutrient levels in your water than what you'd worry about for Softies or LPS. 

Congrats on pretty new pieces!!!

Thanks!  They're definitely beautiful, I'll be picking up the test kits today Mag once the LFS opens.  I wasn't testing for it yet because I didn't plan on any SPS for another few months!!!  Alkalinity and Calcium are well within range at least but I have no idea how my Magnesium levels look yet.  On the upside, all of them have polyps extended so I'm taking that to mean that things can't be TOO far off base and that they don't hate my lights.

I'm not gonna hide it, I'm a touch nervous...

4 hours ago, OverHauler said:

IMG_20170514_174345.jpg

IMG_20170514_164534.jpg

FB_IMG_1494802382641.jpg

Your wife, the go-getter! :lol: 

...did she get the water? :D

Beautiful pieces but I totally understand being nervous, I sure would be!  At least she has interest in the tank...? :unsure:

OverHauler
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Your wife, the go-getter! :lol: 

...did she get the water? :D

Beautiful pieces but I totally understand being nervous, I sure would be!  At least she has interest in the tank...? :unsure:

Yep, the water came home too.  She's definitely interested, I just need her to throttle back.  Told her no more new additions for a while.  I want the corals I have in there now to grow in a bit before we add any more.

Here's today's full tank shot.  I did end up moving some rocks off the left side into the sump, likely going to add a marinepure block and remove some pieces from the right side as well...

20170515075345.jpg

• Like 1
OverHauler

Anyone have advice on switching some picky clowns over from frozen to pellets?  

So far, I've tried:

• Mixing frozen and pellets when feedings
  • Going two days feeding only pellets (which worked for the other fish)
  • Feeding a different type of pellet

Nothing has worked for me yet.  

OverHauler

So my emerald crab has been evicted.  The little jerk ate my Royal Gramma and my Benggai Cardinal.  That is a clear violation of the house rules.

In other news, the new Gyre has quieted right down and now neither pump can be heard unless you put your ear right up to them, very happy with them and my tank inhabitance seem to love the Lunar Tide mode.  Coral growth is great.  I've started dosing Reef fuel a couple times a week to get some amino acids into the water and feeding the LPS and SPS corals.  All are doing very well.  Getting some insane growth on the Duncan and the Hammer, both of which have nearly doubled in size, with the Duncan putting out 3 new polyps.

I also upgraded the ATO from the stock Redsea gravity system to an IceCap ATO.  This allowed me to go from 2.5gallons of ATO water to 7 and still keep everything inside the stand.  I went with Aquatainers from walmart for $15 as my reservoirs.  Bought two so i can have a full one around at all times.  Very happy with this choice. I'll be turning the stock ATO reservoir into a Fuge at some point. I now need to move all my various controllers out of the stand though so stay tuned, I have an idea for that i'll execute over the next few days...

Aside from the crab eating two fish, everything is doing great.  Water parameters are nice and steady and I'm super happy!  I have to thank everyone here at nano-reef for giving me the confidence to go forward with starting a reef tank, my family and I are completely hooked!

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, OverHauler said:

So my emerald crab has been evicted.  The little jerk ate my Royal Gramma and my Benggai Cardinal.  That is a clear violation of the house rules.

In other news, the new Gyre has quieted right down and now neither pump can be heard unless you put your ear right up to them, very happy with them and my tank inhabitance seem to love the Lunar Tide mode.  Coral growth is great.  I've started dosing Reef fuel a couple times a week to get some amino acids into the water and feeding the LPS and SPS corals.  All are doing very well.  Getting some insane growth on the Duncan and the Hammer, both of which have nearly doubled in size, with the Duncan putting out 3 new polyps.

I also upgraded the ATO from the stock Redsea gravity system to an IceCap ATO.  This allowed me to go from 2.5gallons of ATO water to 7 and still keep everything inside the stand.  I went with Aquatainers from walmart for $15 as my reservoirs.  Bought two so i can have a full one around at all times.  Very happy with this choice. I'll be turning the stock ATO reservoir into a Fuge at some point. I now need to move all my various controllers out of the stand though so stay tuned, I have an idea for that i'll execute over the next few days...

Aside from the crab eating two fish, everything is doing great.  Water parameters are nice and steady and I'm super happy!  I have to thank everyone here at nano-reef for giving me the confidence to go forward with starting a reef tank, my family and I are completely hooked!

Fish are friends, not food!!!

Bad Crabby!!

Happy to hear of all the other positives though. :)

3 hours ago, OverHauler said:

What a jerk crab!  I had a "peaceful" pom pom crab that attacked a new one I bought, stole her poms, and proceeded to eat her leg. :huh:  Crabs are something else!

• 4 weeks later...

Question for all you pro reef keepers out there:

Picked up a BRS reactor on eBay for $30.  Running carbon and GFO in there which leaves a ton of room empty.   Can I fill that space with some other type of media?  Biopellets maybe?  Seems nuts to have more than half the cartridge empty...

I know nothing about reactors so I am no help lol.  I have seen people converting reactors to hold chaeto though, which is kinda cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Chaeto reactor is a huge success.  Nitrates are down from 40ppm to 20ppm before my weekly water change.   Not bad for only being in operation for a week.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, OverHauler said:

Chaeto reactor is a huge success.  Nitrates are down from 40ppm to 20ppm before my weekly water change.   Not bad for only being in operation for a week.

Nice!!

Macro is really great for keeping nutrient levels low. 

Thanks!  It's been a ton of fun building it.

Anyone have any idea what this thing is living on my acan?  It's got a small feather duster on the left, but what is on the right? 

20170626_112653.jpg