Top Shelf Aquatics

Amphipod?

SaltyBuddha

Looks like it.  I have notice at least two good sized ones trolling around my sand bed at night.  I did read the other day that they will feed on zoas occasionally in the absence of other food sources.  Not sure how legit this is because I am new to reefing, but did see it in several different locations.  I am beginning to wonder if they are responsible for my zoa polyps that "deteriorated" over the past several days.  They looked like something had been chewing on them and then slowly dissolved away.  Haven't noticed any damage to the remaining polyps, but I am keeping an eye out for these two at night. 

SaltyBuddha

Yeah I looked up images and they get insanely big. Like cat sized. I wasn't sure since no on responded last night, so I did not put him in my tank. Hard to tell which ones are good and which ones are bad. Hope those ones aren't eating your zoas, but I barely saw him with the plant out of water in my hands

Yeah, I've only seen them on my sand bed at night with a flash light. No idea how I would ever catch them. I see their molted exoskeletons floating around the tank occasionally as well.  Maybe one my new clowns will develop a taste for amphipods and gobble them up. 

They are good guys.  They will occasionally chew on corals but usually only because the coral was already having issues.  Lots of fish eat them.  The population will explode at times and then level back out. 

52 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

They are good guys.  They will occasionally chew on corals but usually only because the coral was already having issues.  Lots of fish eat them.  The population will explode at times and then level back out. 

I never actually saw the amps around the corals so it very well could not have been them, or perhaps they just cleaned up the mess.  I suppose I'll never figure out what happened to them. 

Archived