Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fluval Evo 12/13.5 Media Basket PreSale now OPEN

inTank

Ordered! Out of curiosity, is flow through the chambers affected much with this? I tried to diy a media basket with eggcrate...not a complete fail but close enough. I had filter floss on top, carbon below and biomax media on bottom. The water pumped out faster than it would flow through. In the end I was able to at least still use the filter floss but couldn't toss my sponge because I need something to hold the other stuff. 

7 hours ago, smac0806 said:

Ordered! Out of curiosity, is flow through the chambers affected much with this? I tried to diy a media basket with eggcrate...not a complete fail but close enough. I had filter floss on top, carbon below and biomax media on bottom. The water pumped out faster than it would flow through. In the end I was able to at least still use the filter floss but couldn't toss my sponge because I need something to hold the other stuff. 

Thanks.  In our testing no, but do not pack the basket too full with media.  The basket it self does not block flow, that will all be on the media.  Remove the sponge in the pump.  We also recommend plugging the hold in the false wall in chamber two.  This will allow you to regulate the water level in chamber two and three, by adding more while the filtration pump is on.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Toasted678

Hi there!  Just wondering what is the recommended media to run on the 3 shelves of this setup?  Obviously the filter floss on top but what about the other 2?  Mine just came in today and looks excellent.  I got the filter floss, Purigen and Chemi-pure nano packets.

58 minutes ago, Toasted678 said:

Hi there!  Just wondering what is the recommended media to run on the 3 shelves of this setup?  Obviously the filter floss on top but what about the other 2?  Mine just came in today and looks excellent.  I got the filter floss, Purigen and Chemi-pure nano packets.

From a general stance the media you purchased is what is recommended.  Thanks.

5 hours ago, Hawker said:

this is great if you dont use a skimmer, they need to make one where the filter is now

We are and it is on the production list.  I will try and get a product page made today so we can keep updates there.

A media basket in chamber one is still the best position and will keep the rear chambers cleaner for long term success.

• 3 weeks later...
antimatter

Hi Steve!  I am putting an order in now, I will not be running a skimmer on this tank, would you recommend the media basket for the first or second chamber? 

11 hours ago, antimatter said:

Hi Steve!  I am putting an order in now, I will not be running a skimmer on this tank, would you recommend the media basket for the first or second chamber? 

1st chamber.  Media Baskets work best when you catch detritus from the start keeping the rear chambers cleaner.  Plus the way this tank is designed the basket in chamber one forces water through media from the top to the bottom.

Got the media basket for chamber 1, what is the level of the water in the tank need to be? I am running filter floss on top, chemi pure blue middle and biomax on bottom. I can't dial in a good water level. Also can someone post a clear picture on how the skimmer needs to be set. Thanks

On 6/10/2017 at 4:14 PM, Hawker said:

Got the media basket for chamber 1, what is the level of the water in the tank need to be? I am running filter floss on top, chemi pure blue middle and biomax on bottom. I can't dial in a good water level.

Plug the hole in chamber two.  Then add new water or subtract it to chamber two while the filtration pump is on.  You may also need to adjust the display water level.  You'll have to play around and find your level but it may need adjusting to have more water enter the basket.  The biggest problem with this tank is that they have so many slits in the chamber one baffle it messes with water levels in the remaining chambers vs what other AIO's run at.

• 3 months later...

Hey StevieT - If I get the chamber 1 media basket, will the chamber 2 still work with Fluval's Protein Skimmer?  I know the lid will no longer be useful with this configuration--- but I plan to go open top.

On 9/16/2017 at 5:20 PM, bluebastion said:

Hey StevieT - If I get the chamber 1 media basket, will the chamber 2 still work with Fluval's Protein Skimmer?  I know the lid will no longer be useful with this configuration--- but I plan to go open top.

I can't say for sure as is but I'm pretty sure you can make it work.  The skimmer sits at a certain level in chamber one, rests on that slit that comes halfway up the chamber.  So it may need some eggcrate to rest on in chamber two.

Overall personally, I would skip on their skimmer. It's a pile of shit.  This is a small tank so a skimmer isn't needed.  Or look at Meme style skimmers, they will work better than what Fluval makes.

27 minutes ago, StevieT said:

I can't say for sure as is but I'm pretty sure you can make it work.  The skimmer sits at a certain level in chamber one, rests on that slit that comes halfway up the chamber.  So it may need some eggcrate to rest on in chamber two.

Overall personally, I would skip on their skimmer. It's a pile of shit.  This is a small tank so a skimmer isn't needed.  Or look at Meme style skimmers, they will work better than what Fluval makes.

I haven’t done it, but resting it on egg crate in chamber 2 should work. I beg to differ on the skimmer being POS though. I have the aquatic life 115 which is what the Fluval one is based on, and it has been skimming fine for me. 

7 hours ago, StevieT said:

Well, I just bought your Chamber 1 rack on Amazon, and I plan to do a refugium in Chamber 2 growing some chaeto.  We'll see how it works out.  I know there's a conflict of interest in me asking you this question, but would getting a Chamer 2 rack be of any benefit to me planning on doing a refugium in there?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, bluebastion said:

Well, I just bought your Chamber 1 rack on Amazon, and I plan to do a refugium in Chamber 2 growing some chaeto.  We'll see how it works out.  I know there's a conflict of interest in me asking you this question, but would getting a Chamer 2 rack be of any benefit to me planning on doing a refugium in there?

Thanks!

Thanks. 

It helps hold chaeto in place especially since CH 2 has a false floor protecting the pump and dying in areas you can't get to. Also makes it easier to lift out for trimming. 

Oh oh and makes your water wet.

Only losers want non wet water. 

1 hour ago, StevieT said:

Thanks. 

It helps hold chaeto in place especially since CH 2 has a false floor protecting the pump and dying in areas you can't get to. Also makes it easier to lift out for trimming. 

Oh oh and makes your water wet.

Only losers want non wet water. 

Oh.. well that's a good point.  I don't want to be a loser....