Cultivated Reef

Help with Aquamaxx HOB1

taat2d

Was having a problem with my HOB1 skimmer. All of a sudden it started producing less and less bubbles.  It was only in use for about 4 months. I pulled it off the tank and cleaned everything, then just stopped using it. I bought it brand new. So tonight I decided to bust it out to give it another go after packing it away a couple of months ago. So I reconnect everything, put it on the tank and now I'm getting a horrible noise and no bubbles at all. Anyone have any idea what's going on with this thing and how I can fix it? 

Thanks

Update:

Took the skimmer apart 3 times and somehow got the noise to stop and got it making bubbles. Glad that I got it working. Hopefully the micro bubbles will stop soon.

I too have the same skimmer.  Bought brand new about 5 months ago.

I did a thorough cleaning about 2 weeks ago, noticed that it needed to break in again?

That sucker does a nice job when dialed in though.

What's happening is there is salt creep buildup clogging the venturi, hence the slowdown in bubble production.  When I used to own one, once a week during water change day, I'd nuke a few ounces of RO water and place the end of the skimmer airline in it so it would suck up the hot water and flush out any salt build up.  Worked like a charm to keep bubble production consistent.

On April 12, 2017 at 10:23 AM, Water Dog said:

What's happening is there is salt creep buildup clogging the venturi, hence the slowdown in bubble production.  When I used to own one, once a week during water change day, I'd nuke a few ounces of RO water and place the end of the skimmer airline in it so it would suck up the hot water and flush out any salt build up.  Worked like a charm to keep bubble production consistent.

Just to make sure I got it right... 

The yellow tubing on the top of the skimmer right? Pop the line off the TOP and submerge it in the hot RO water? I appreciate the tip and help!!

Acetabularia-less
On 4/12/2017 at 10:23 AM, Water Dog said:

I have the same skimmer. I will try this next time it needs a salt flush!

1 hour ago, Astinus said:

Yes...it will draw the Hot water into the Pump and onward to the "Venturis"?

Thanks. Did you notice a difference in your bubble making? I'm gonna try it tomorrow when I do my water change.

Yes, to some small degree.  It has been producing bubbles, but, I may need to do a "Serious" Cleaning.

Bubbles are being produced but, for some reason they aren't producing enough to go up the funnel and

not much skimmate.  I have been adjusting the collection cup to try and get more.

I Prolly won't see much yet.  To early to tell?

Could be.  I will admit, my husbandry still sucks.  I do not change my water as frequently as I should.

I keep telling myself to increase my intervals, but I don't :(

I do however, test my water and because I don't fully trust my readings, I have my LFS test for me as well.

Hey guys, first, do a full cleaning of your skimmers including the venturi.  Then once a week as routine maintenance, do the hot water thing...  This will maintain a clean venturi.  If you're having low bubble production, chances are there's too much salt build up so you'll need to do a full breakdown.  My hot water thing is just a preventative maintenance method to maintain an already clean venturi, preventing salt creep from building up and killing your bubble production.

Archived