SaltCritters.com

Spec V fluval tank new to the Pico / Nano Family

Johnin714

Hello, 

My first post here and recent new member. I figured i needed to come to the best to make sure i dont nuke my tank starting out. 

I have a 75 Gallon Reef fully established with 40 gallon sump with live rock cheato etc. All Perams are good and consistent and have been for over a year. 

I recently bought a Spec V fluval tank off craigslist for $50 perfect condition also came with a small heater, stock pump. stock LED Light. 

I picked up a bag of 10lbs of Caribsea Live sand for the bottom. 

My question is if i was to take some of the water from my Main Display tank say 4 Gallons or so add 1 gallon ROI water to my Spec V fluval tank using Chemi Pure and Floss and a couple Live rocks from my Main Tank (sump easy to replace from my LFS) i would imagine it would cut the water cycle down to a week or so maybe less?  

Does anyone see any potential side effects or what not or look out for ?

I would love to hear your thoughts and feedback or ideas for that matter. 

My overall plan is the grown frags here and create a mini environment maybe a single clown or mated pair and eventually move them over to my main and vice versa if needed. 

Thoughts ?

Thanks for any input

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So i will start my on my tank tonight with the following.

Stock Pump

Stock LED

4 Gallons of water from my main tank

1 Fresh ROI water from LFS that i have been using for over a year. 

I plan on getting Tonga Real Reaf Branches maybe 1 or two 

2 Established Live Rock from my main display tank like 8lbs to 10lbs 

CaribSea Live Sand for the Bed

Silicone the bottom water intake to have all flow set to the top of the tank

I was thinking about starting with the Current Sponge Filter with Carbon Bag on the bottom. BUT.... I will more than likely replace this with a custom Egg Create with Floss and ChemiPure Elite instead before starting. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Future plan:

Small Refugium with Cheato and mini waterproof LED light. Im going to see if it will work with the larger chamber (Floss Filter/Cheato/Chemipure Elite) Or i will be placing the Chemipure Elite to the Return pump side chamber and have only the Floss Filter and Cheato with a waterproof LED Strip

Maybe even try to have Mangros Growing right out of the tank part of the Aquascape

Replace Stock LED light

Replace Stock Pump

Add Mini Pump for Circulation

If that doesnt work out with the Large Pump (no growth or pods) I plan on getting some sort of small acrylic hang inside the tank box to add cheato.  

Friends in Mind:

1 Clown unless mated pair or a Mandarin Goby

1 Bubble Top Anomone or something to that respect 

Corals like zoas, Frog Spawn etc

3-5 Sexy Shrimp...

Clean up crew

I plan on taking pictures and show progress step by step 

:welcome: Welcome to Nano-Reef!  Yes, with established rock from your tank, the cycle should be pretty short.  You may still have new-tank syndrome things (like diatom bloom).  I like to wait a couple weeks regardless before adding livestock. :)

I will say, a mandarin is something I would wait on or research more.  It would be very difficult to maintain one in a pico.  Might be doable in a larger tank, like your original tank, but no guarantees.  Five gallons is also pretty small for a permanent home for a clown, but many people do it when they are juveniles (don't think I'd recommend two in that size though).  Same with a BTA, I think they do better in larger tanks; might look at the mini carpet anemones or rock flower anemones for pico nems.  Sexies are great in picos, just use caution as sometimes they are known to eat corals, especially zoas.

Were you able to get the tank up and running yet?  We do like pics. :D

@Lula_Mae Thank you for the warm welcome :)

I thought about it after my post about the Mandarin and decided your right that would be way to small for him. I had two Colonies of Zoas before in my main but got wiped out somehow i believe it was my wrasse or my Banded Coral Shrimps. Nevertheless, i plan on doing some Zoas and some Anemones. I really like your suggestions on the Mini carpet and Rock Flower i'm definitely going to check those out. 

Tank update:

I Put everything together last night and used 3.5 Gallons of Salt Water from my main tank 1.5 ROI Fresh to get this little guy filled.

Added 2lb Live Rock from my Main tank (sump) 

Added 7lb Real Reef Branch Rock

Added 10lb CaribSea Live Sand

Added 1 Tetras Mini Heater currently in the return with stock pump

Added 1 65gph Pico pump just to get more flow. 

Added 2tlbs Ultramaxx filter media added to lower sponge section of the stock filter

I plan on reworking the Stock LED light. I bought this second hand and noticed that the person added a remote to the stock light that can control the brightness and spectrum. I can run full blue at 100 percent and white and 100 percent or both at full intensity. Although, it probably wont be enough blue for corals but its something to start with until i redo it. 

The plan is to wait a few days running it and checking the perams tonight to get a baseline then check it everyday for changes. It probably wont take long to cycle the tank considering the kick start with the water, live rock and sand. 

Any suggestions of a first hardy coral to try when the tank is ready? 

00D0D_7XLlQmHR1UZ_1200x900.jpg

FullSizeRende1r.jpg

No problem!  I've always thought Tonga branch was really neat looking.  Years ago there was a guy on here with, I think it was a 15 tall, that used Tonga branch, it was nifty! 

Personally I like mushrooms, but zoas and palys are also good choices.  When you're ready to look at stony corals, trumpets/candy canes and blastos are good first choices.  What do you have in your big tank?  You could probably just grab a couple frags from it and toss them in to test the proverbial waters when you are ready. :)

I wanted to try something different in the Fluval with the Tonga Branches. Plus leave more room for circulation and enough room to add corals. I dont have many frags in my main except a couple Acans. But your ideas are great ones definitely will be buying some of each. Thanks for the suggestions

Top of my head in my main tank are:

Frog Spawn heads

Torch Corals 

Acans

Clam

Pink Bubble Tip Anemone

Orange and Green Mushrooms

Green Star Polyps

Jasmine Polyps

Green kenya Tree 

Brown Kenya Tree

a few Zoas 

and a few others i cant think of lol

I think im going to pick up the Media Basket and change the stock pump for this tank im personally not a big fan of the sponge filters. Worried about nitrates etc. 

Any recommendations on a good replacement pump for the Spec V ?

17 hours ago, Johnin714 said:

I wanted to try something different in the Fluval with the Tonga Branches. Plus leave more room for circulation and enough room to add corals. I dont have many frags in my main except a couple Acans. But your ideas are great ones definitely will be buying some of each. Thanks for the suggestions

Top of my head in my main tank are:

Frog Spawn heads

Torch Corals 

Acans

Clam

Pink Bubble Tip Anemone

Orange and Green Mushrooms

Green Star Polyps

Jasmine Polyps

Green kenya Tree 

Brown Kenya Tree

a few Zoas 

and a few others i cant think of lol

I think im going to pick up the Media Basket and change the stock pump for this tank im personally not a big fan of the sponge filters. Worried about nitrates etc. 

Any recommendations on a good replacement pump for the Spec V ?

Most of those would work in the 5g if you wanted to try them, just depends what you want to do with it!  I'd probably stick with lower light stuff for the time being till the light gets upgraded.

11 hours ago, StevieT said:

Media Basket

Wet water 

:lol:

@StevieT Thanks for the suggestion Wet Water might be a bit tricky though :)

I Plan on ordering the Media Basket today. As far as light(s) any good suggestions on those? I do like the style of the stock one looks sleek and nice however, I know i will probably need to go with a complete replacement unless i add a strip or two into the stock one. The stock one even with the current mod it doesnt look bright enough not to mention not enough blue. I will more than likely just get a sit on the top LED to replace the stock. 

Any suggestion on Lights?

Thanks again everyone for your input

4 minutes ago, Johnin714 said:

@StevieT Thanks for the suggestion Wet Water might be a bit tricky though :)

I Plan on ordering the Media Basket today. As far as light(s) any good suggestions on those? I do like the style of the stock one looks sleek and nice however, I know i will probably need to go with a complete replacement unless i add a strip or two into the stock one. The stock one even with the current mod it doesnt look bright enough not to mention not enough blue. I will more than likely just get a sit on the top LED to replace the stock. 

Any suggestion on Lights?

Thanks again everyone for your input

Depends on how much you want to spend! :o Nano Box lights are gorgeous and very customizable but kinda pricey.  Kessil A80 lights are nice and reasonably priced for the features and decent for picos (there's a guy on here with an IM 14 gallon who had SPS under just one in his tank, but recently added another since he wants to keep more).  I don't think I'd recommend one of the screw-in LED PAR bulbs unless you get two or get one with really wide optics--the spread probably wouldn't be wide enough on a tank as long as the Spec V.  But some companies do allow for customizing the optics on the individual LEDs so you can get a better spread.  Coral Compulsion is one to look at.  I think Current has a sit-on-top type fixture but not sure how strong it is, I think it's good for softies and LPS...not sure how small they go though, I think maybe around 20" is the shortest they have. 

I would recommend checking out some of the other Spec V/Evo threads around here to see what other people have done, and also check out the lighting forum.  Someone who knows more about lighting than me can probably offer better suggestions. :)

@Lula_Mae thanks for the recommendations I will look around for a new one I think it's better to just replace the light completely. 

I did see see some people make a media basket with egg crates and zip ties. I wonder how effective it is compared to the aftermarket one that's available? The after market one goes for around $50

just ordered new Aqueon 600 return pump. 

Also order 3D foam background (always wanted to try it)

probably order the media basket based on your guys reply 

31 minutes ago, Johnin714 said:

@Lula_Mae thanks for the recommendations I will look around for a new one I think it's better to just replace the light completely. 

I did see see some people make a media basket with egg crates and zip ties. I wonder how effective it is compared to the aftermarket one that's available? The after market one goes for around $50

just ordered new Aqueon 600 return pump. 

Also order 3D foam background (always wanted to try it)

probably order the media basket based on your guys reply 

I think it's a matter of budget and/or wanting to make something yourself.  If you don't want to fight with egg crate and have the money for the sleek media basket, go for it!

What Lula said on the lights. @DaveFason Nanp Box would be the ultimate. 

Egg crate baskets do not force water through media and allow a lot of detritus to pollute the rest chambers. Also harder to install and remove and depends on what your time is worth. 

So i ordered the New Pump, New Media Basket and i'm looking for a new light as you read this. 

Checked all my parameters yesterday all at zero except my Salinity is a little low so hopefully after some of the water evaporates i can add more salt water. I did two water changes of 30%. One on Friday and Sunday to try to raise the salinity a bit and it did work. It was at 1.2 now its up to around 1.23 almost where i need it to be. I recheacked the params after about 2 hrs and still Zero through the board. I'm going to give it another day or two to see if letting it sit will raise the level after some of the water Evaporates. Do another water change (salt only) and should be good to go. I will probably pick up a small Chromie and Pulsating Xenia or something like that to confirm the water is in fact good to go and give them a couple days. I can always move them to my larger Main tank. Then the real fun begins coral coral everywhere. 

Hopefully by the time the water gets set the following will have been come in and be done:

New Pump Installed

New Media Basket Installed with Floss and ChemiPure Blue and Ultramaxx 

New Light Installed

3D Foam Wallpaper Background installed

I will add pics as the new goodies come in and there is more of an update to my tank.

If any other suggestions please feel free to share the knowledge its very much appreciated :) 

The best feeling! Its like knowing you are about to open Christmas presents for the first time. 

I wanted to ask what are your guys thoughts on this Light.. I know its a low end but to get me started for now. Then i can move this light over to fresh water im gonna setup at work 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-72-RGB-Remote-Control-LED-Light-HI-LUMEN-Reef-Aquarium-Planted-24-7-Automa-/252707911670?var=&hash=item3ad690b7f6:m:mF_38kG1PTIuUPgKkFwhs4g

Any feedback would be most helpful

Not sure but I think that light would be pretty white, looks kinda similar to some of the cheap Finnex lights.  Probably would be ok for softies, at least short term.  Guess it just depends if you like whiter or bluer. :)

Just thinking to get me started for softies eventually i will be buying a Current Orbit Marine with timer etc. It works great on my large tank and Corals love it. 

So i got home last night from work to check my tank. To my surprise and little Brown Algae break out. I had my stock light at Max Capacity yesterday to try to evaporate some of the water a little quicker (big mistake) Since my salinity is still a little low around 1.22 - 1.23 i added a medium sized Snail from my Main tank for now in there to get him started on the Clean up work. I plan on getting some CuC today from LFS (snails) i dont wanna put any herms or inverts in there just yet until my Salinity is up. I plan on adding more saltwater today since about 5% evaporated already then recheck all my params and salinity. Im hoping my new pump, light and media basket will arrive within the next day or two. I also convinced my Brother in Law to pick up one of these Spec V also since he was the one that got me into the Saltwater Hobby. 

It looks like diatoms because it look to be on my substrate a little. Not a lot but on the top of all my Branch Rock all brown. My snail seem to gobble it down like he was eating burgers. Which makes me think it could be a small Algae bloom due to the light being at max all day. I dropped the intensity to 50% for now at least until my new light comes in. 

Im already trying to get my Brother in Law in here lol

Thoughts?

IMG_5425.JPG

It could be you're just at the diatom point in your cycle!  I'm honestly not sure if having the lights on all day would cause an algal bloom that same day. :blush:

Archived