ReefCleaners.org

Return pump throwing microbubbles

lkoechle

I thought it was my skimmer, but it isnt.  

I haven't pulled it out yet because that will be a major PITA, but I wanted to hear other folks' experiences so I can have specific things to look for and check before I pull it out or while I have it out.

Its a sicce 1.5 in a IM Lagoon using the original return fittings.

gone_PHiSHin

if the water level gets too low in the return chamber then the water will splash from the 2nd to the 3rd chamber and cause bubbles, which will then be pulled into the pump, causing it to spit out tiny bubbles.

add some saltwater to raise the level of the third chamber, so there is only about 1/2"-3/4" of a difference between the level of the second and third chamber

14 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

if the water level gets too low in the return chamber then the water will splash from the 2nd to the 3rd chamber and cause bubbles, which will then be pulled into the pump, causing it to spit out tiny bubbles.

add some saltwater to raise the level of the third chamber, so there is only about 1/2"-3/4" of a difference between the level of the second and third chamber

I didn't even think of that.  I will try that when I do my water change this week.  I have a pretty steep drop, probably 2 inches right now.

gone_PHiSHin

it took me a few days to figure it out when i got my IM10.  i'm pretty sure the manual recommends a 3/4" drop.  

if you have an ATO, i had to have my water return line just slightly above the water line of the second chamber.  if i put it above the third chamber, the water coming out of the line would splash and make bubbles, resulting in micro bubbles in the display every time it came on.

I left mine at around a .25" drop, so when I see micro bubbles I know it's my skimmer :)

can't flipping wait for a tank with a sump one day

20 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

I left mine at around a .25" drop, so when I see micro bubbles I know it's my skimmer :)

can't flipping wait for a tank with a sump one day

I miss my sump :(

Archived