Pod Your Reef

IM 10G From Singapore - 3 Month Anniversary

Pazos011

FTS - August 2, 2017

59818c88245c2_Photo2-8-1732236PM.thumb.jpg.6a19380e6cac487f5e261dbd571e5494.jpg

FTS - May 6, 2017

IMG_1215.JPG.230863319877d9ed04ae0aff555ccbd8.JPG

Hello All!

So... here we go! I've been a member since 06 when I was a teenager living in the US. Had a 12g Nano Cube back then. Got it all up and running for 7-8 months and then crashed due to my lack of patience (slow and steady shall win the race this time). During my extremely long hiatus I've been lurking, learning and admiring all your amazing tanks. Shout out to @teenyreef whose beautiful 10g IM inspired me to start this journey once again. I'm now settled and working in Singapore and seeing as it's my birthday this month, I figured now is as good a time to start as any :) 

This weekend I popped into a highly recommended local LFS and picked up a package deal with the following:

58eb1d848c3f7_ScreenShot2017-04-10at11_11_03AM.png.555549b314440e4aaca3854e6edff3b1.pngMy Tank Specs

Display: Innovative Marine 10 Gallon NUVO Fusion Nano all-in-one aquarium, 12" x 15" x 13"
Lighting: Innovative Marine 18x Skkye Light Clamp LED Light
Heater: None I live in Singapore it's 90+ Degrees all the time
Chiller: 1000 W Cooling fan running on back of tank
Circulation: Stock NUVO Fusion return pump, SICCE Voyager Nano 1000
Skimmer: Innovative Marine Protein Skimmer Desktop Size
Filtration: Innovative Marine Custom Caddy Fusion 20 Media Basket
Filter Media: Prodac Filter Wool (Cut to Size), BOYD Chemi Pure, 
Top Off: Manual for now .... will consider if necessary

Once I got back from the LFS to my Apartment, I went galavanting around Singapore looking for a proper stand for this thing. After a couple phone calls I managed to find a nice dark wooden cabinet with glass doors that fit the bill. Getting it home was a bit of an adventure. Was ALOT heavier than expected. Lugging it down 2 flights of stairs didn't help either :P Once outside I Booked 3 Ubers...none of which the cabinet could fit inside. However, lucky Uber number 4 was large enough for it fit inside. Total cost $45 SGD ($30ish USD) including transport and a free workout...not bad.

Now...after all this rambling I'm sure you'd like to see some photos! So please see below:

Questions

1. Is my back chamber water level too high? (See photos below)
  2. Skimmer -- I've never used one before. Should It be running during the cycle? 
  3. White hair like tentacles sticking out of LR - Friend or Foe? (see photos below)

Live Sand In...The cabinet looks good. Time for some Aquascaping

rsz_photo_9-4-17_6_35_05_pm.thumb.jpg.d658a4ac5e042d6e249d63caa6a1bd15.jpg

Going for a small tunnel effect..may need more LR we shall see

rsz_photo_9-4-17_6_40_45_pm.thumb.jpg.6391126ec78d6f9894451c0c93a23128.jpg

Light on and filled up with saltwater and no leaks :) 

rsz_photo_9-4-17_11_13_46_pm.thumb.jpg.664067651bc4828b91d89b8a71ed6e34.jpg

Water level in back of tank with the skimmer...too high?

rsz_photo_9-4-17_9_21_21_pm.thumb.jpg.4eef3e2d24a6cbe72687164654f78628.jpg

View from the pump side for water level reference

rsz_photo_9-4-17_9_21_30_pm.thumb.jpg.66f83bc9cf879426991b499f13fed877.jpg

Scary looking white tentacle things...a few patches on the same rock

rsz_photo_9-4-17_11_43_45_pm.thumb.jpg.fe40729952e1eb36b9fb735ccf3d42ba.jpg

another photo for reference

rsz_photo_9-4-17_11_43_11_pm.thumb.jpg.698d0dc60b2c2143436b6c85a0688ddc.jpg

• Like 1

I think your water level is a little high. The third chamber should be lower than the second baffle. I dont really know how to explain here is a link; https://reefbuilders.com/2011/10/26/innovative-marines-nano-16/#

Let me know if this doesn't make sense.  

I think the white strings are nothing to worry about right now but if it stays around mention something about it. 

6 hours ago, Bowen1022 said:

I think your water level is a little high. The third chamber should be lower than the second baffle. I dont really know how to explain here is a link; https://reefbuilders.com/2011/10/26/innovative-marines-nano-16/#

Let me know if this doesn't make sense.  

I think the white strings are nothing to worry about right now but if it stays around mention something about it. 

Thanks for the link, that is super helpful is explaining proper water level.

Noted on the white string things...good to know I wont need to worrying about them for now :D

IM Desktop Skimmer is finally broken in a working, took some playing around with. The noise level is driving me nuts! I'm going to grab some 1/8in neoprene this week and cut it to size so the skimmer does not rattle against the chamber and see if that fixes the problem. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Test kit comes in today, I'll have my results up this evening to see how the cycle is progressing. 

Here is an FTS 12/4/17

IMG_0942.JPG

• Like 2

The skimmer is still breaking itself it. I used some neoprene to keep the pump from rattling against the side and bottom of the chamber which was super helpful with noise reduction.

Test kit finally came in last night. Here are the results:

rsz_photo_13-4-17_6_25_04_pm.thumb.jpg.1ffce8d641cf9ab1662b013f11d3744e.jpg

Ammonia: 1ppm

Nitrite: .25 - .5 ppm

Nitrate: 0 ppm

Ph: 7.8 

Looks like the cycle is progressing in the right direction. Next step is sky high nitrite and lower ammonia. 

In the mean time I need to start thinking about what I want to put into this tank B)

• Like 1
On 4/11/2017 at 8:51 PM, Pazos011 said:

IM Desktop Skimmer is finally broken in a working, took some playing around with. The noise level is driving me nuts! I'm going to grab some 1/8in neoprene this week and cut it to size so the skimmer does not rattle against the chamber and see if that fixes the problem. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Test kit comes in today, I'll have my results up this evening to see how the cycle is progressing. 

Here is an FTS 12/4/17

IMG_0942.JPG

I saw a post somewhere on here where someone's pump was rattling and they split airline tubing and wrapped it around the pump to keep it from doing that lol. :lol: In case the neoprene doesn't work out. ;)

Interesting scape!  I know nothing about skimmers as I've never used one but am sure someone else can help there lol.

• Like 1
soeminpaing

IM tanks are great but the skimmer and light are really bad. You should consider upgrading to AI prime for the light and skimz SH 1 (not sure about fitting). Also jebao sw-2 will make the tank look sleeker. 

• Like 1
On 16/04/2017 at 1:04 AM, Lula_Mae said:

I saw a post somewhere on here where someone's pump was rattling and they split airline tubing and wrapped it around the pump to keep it from doing that lol. :lol: In case the neoprene doesn't work out. ;)

Interesting scape!  I know nothing about skimmers as I've never used one but am sure someone else can help there lol.

Thanks for info! I've got the skimmer to be properly quiet now. The neoprene did the trick along with letting the skimmer break itself in.

I like the scape as well, there is a small cave effect in the center. I may throw another piece of LR in at a later date. But for now it's good.

On 17/04/2017 at 3:50 AM, soeminpaing said:

IM tanks are great but the skimmer and light are really bad. You should consider upgrading to AI prime for the light and skimz SH 1 (not sure about fitting). Also jebao sw-2 will make the tank look sleeker. 

Thanks for the product recommendations :)  I definitely need to change out the SICCE Voyager Nano 1000 as it is louder than expected and not the sleekest look.

What do you think of the Tunze Nanostream 6015 as a replacement?

SaltyBuddha

Nice! Still waiting for my nitrites to go down to 0ppm after 24 hours. Seems like it is taking forever.

Looking forward to seeing your tank develop! Looks like we will be pretty close to the same tank bday

Do you plan on having some SPS since you are running the skimmer?

• Like 1
soeminpaing
2 hours ago, Pazos011 said:

Thanks for the product recommendations :)  I definitely need to change out the SICCE Voyager Nano 1000 as it is louder than expected and not the sleekest look.

What do you think of the Tunze Nanostream 6015 as a replacement?

Depend on your need to control of the wave output. I like wavemakers with controller for their ability to fine tune the pattern and intensity of the wave. Also I used to mount jebao RW-4 in the back of my nuvo fusion 20 so it is not intruding. Both side of the magnet mount can be put inside the water. Tunze can be done as well I think. In nano, real estate is what we treasure and value , not to be taken for granted.

• Like 1
On 18/04/2017 at 0:52 PM, SaltyBuddha said:

Nice! Still waiting for my nitrites to go down to 0ppm after 24 hours. Seems like it is taking forever.

Looking forward to seeing your tank develop! Looks like we will be pretty close to the same tank bday

Do you plan on having some SPS since you are running the skimmer?

Yeah looks like we are on the same page. Waiting for my cycle to end is trying my patience :D

I'll make sure to track your progress as well :)

As far as SPS goes, I'm not sure my light setup is good enough? If it is then yeah sure I'd give it a try.

Hey, I'm from Malaysia here. My tank complete cycled few weeks ago, now with CUCs and a small frag GSP. Planning to add fish by this weekend if parameters allowed. My birthday also around the corner of this month, my tank is also a present for myself. Happy reefing!!!

SaltyBuddha

Yeah I think you would need an upgrade for SPS. I'm thinking my tank will be softies and LPS. Maybe a monti cap in the future if things work out.

So my tank finally got the nitrite down to .25ppm in 24 hours! Its been holding at 1ppm for like 5 days now. Looks like I'm really close to being done. Might stop at the LFS on Friday and pick up a cleaner shrimp omgomgomg

14 hours ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Yeah I think you would need an upgrade for SPS. I'm thinking my tank will be softies and LPS. Maybe a monti cap in the future if things work out.

So my tank finally got the nitrite down to .25ppm in 24 hours! Its been holding at 1ppm for like 5 days now. Looks like I'm really close to being done. Might stop at the LFS on Friday and pick up a cleaner shrimp omgomgomg

NIIICCCCEEE :D 

What kind of cleaner shrimp? I'm a fan of sexy shrimp myself

19 hours ago, WolveX said:

Hey, I'm from Malaysia here. My tank complete cycled few weeks ago, now with CUCs and a small frag GSP. Planning to add fish by this weekend if parameters allowed. My birthday also around the corner of this month, my tank is also a present for myself. Happy reefing!!!

happy early bday man! make a tank thread with photos, would love to follow your progress

3 hours ago, Pazos011 said:

NIIICCCCEEE :D 

What kind of cleaner shrimp? I'm a fan of sexy shrimp myself

happy early bday man! make a tank thread with photos, would love to follow your progress

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/381988-wolvexs-nano-10g-tank-journal/#comment-5495272

Hi Pazo, here is my tank journal. My tank is plain, going slow. want to have the tank as natural as it can be to handle situations.

Happy birthday to all of us. This hobby is addictive and is really hard to hold yourself from buying anything in the LFS. I am planning for both cleaner and sexy in the future as well.

Salty, but I read alot of them recommend to have a little mature tank before you add cleaner shirmp. I might be wrong but if you have experience with it before, you can go ahead and try.

SaltyBuddha

The main reason for the cleaner shrimp is because I don't have any algae. I started with dry rock and my tank has 0 phosphates. Need to add a carnivore CUC to test the waters and I didn't want a hermit (heard they can be difficult like when they stomp a starfish to death! Lol)

I'm thinking a skunk cleaner shrimp. Love how they look and they are really good for a reef tank.

Talking about stomp on starfish, my Nassarius snail few days ago just stomp on the half death hitchhiker starfish. She just came out of burrow and aim straight to the bristle starfish and suffocate it to death, then stroll away like nothing happened. Me and my kids were watching the whole crime scene. :) We were surprise but this is nature, so we didn't interfere. Next morning we saw the starfish body by the rock, but by the time we reach home in the evening, the starfish body is nowhere to be seen.

15 hours ago, SaltyBuddha said:

The main reason for the cleaner shrimp is because I don't have any algae. I started with dry rock and my tank has 0 phosphates. Need to add a carnivore CUC to test the waters and I didn't want a hermit (heard they can be difficult like when they stomp a starfish to death! Lol)

I'm thinking a skunk cleaner shrimp. Love how they look and they are really good for a reef tank.

Look forward to see photos of that cleaner shrimp

@WolveX good luck with the tank

Did another water test today....looks like my cycle is almost over!

Looks to me like Nitrites are at Zero? Thoughts?

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: ... almost 0ppm ?

Nitrate: 10 - 20 ppm 

image1.JPG.417e522a23a10065f6e5fe104fa32a33.JPG

I would wait for a few days to let things settle. If you want to check if your tank is fully cycled, you may introduce some ammonia and see how long it would take the tank to turn everything to 0.

Tested the water again today. Nitrites dropped to 0ppm from below .20 ppm in 24 hours and nitrate spiked to 20 - 40 ppm.

Cycle is over :wub: parameters as follows:

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 20 - 40 ppm 

Did a 20% (2g) water change to drop the sky high Nitrates. In the following weeks it'll be 10% - 15% water changes.

Tested the tank again after the water change everything is at 0ppm like it should be.

Time to head to the LFS for a clean up crew :) I'll post some photos when I get home.