Pod Your Reef

IM 10G From Singapore - 3 Month Anniversary

Pazos011

Nice, have fun man..... I just had mine... just got 2 Ocellaris, one normal orange and one black. I bought the Hikari Marine S pallet. Hopes the like it. They just finished acclimate and is in the tank. Stiill adjusting to the new home. Gave some pallet and they don't bother.... hopefully my snail will eat it. Will try feed tomorrow or a day after. Have fun with stocking. :D 

On 23/04/2017 at 6:06 PM, WolveX said:

Nice, have fun man..... I just had mine... just got 2 Ocellaris, one normal orange and one black. I bought the Hikari Marine S pallet. Hopes the like it. They just finished acclimate and is in the tank. Stiill adjusting to the new home. Gave some pallet and they don't bother.... hopefully my snail will eat it. Will try feed tomorrow or a day after. Have fun with stocking. :D 

Awesome! I think i might get a pair of clowns as well. I havent decided yet

Seems like my tehy pair pretty well, both of them are always together day and night. They started to eat the pallet and adjusting to my feeding schedule. They seems happy.

Went to the LFS over the weekend and they didn't have what I wanted in stock. So...instead of settling I'm going to wait until I get back from Myanmar May 2nd and LFS owner said they would have what I want in store.

Water parametres are stable since the 20% water change over the weekend. I will follow up with a 10% water change on May 3rd when I return from my trip test water a start stocking.

Keep you posted on the stocking plans... :) 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, introvert said:

Did you buy you tank in SG?

Yes I did. I got a nice package setup from Fresh N' Marine.

Nice knowledgable owner and well stocked shop

9 hours ago, money88 said:

Looks like it will be an interesting little setup, so I will follow along

Thanks! Can't wait to post some photos next week when I get back from my trip.

Also your pico is super cool! 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Pazos011 said:

Thanks! Can't wait to post some photos next week when I get back from my trip.

Also your pico is super cool! 

Awesome excited to see some pictures! Do you have any current plans for what sort of corals and clean up crew you want?

Thanks for the kind words I am just going really slow and steady on my end as its my first attempt at saltwater let alone a reef :blush: but I have already gotten the itch. Hopefully I can pick up some new corals this weekend for myself I have had that urge since Easter just never had the time. 

The fun part is stocking. But don't overstock or let your feeling overcome you. This hobby is to test patient and slow is the key to success.

I'm back from my trip. Myanmar was epic, pagodas are out of this world.

IMG_1146.JPG.da953fe88015f2ff4b96bba55af86ebe.JPG

Once I got back I noticed some hair algae growth and your typical brown diatoms at end of cycle. Hopefully my new CUC does the job :D 

IMG_1173.JPG.a85f10360b3f91fd51ae0802008b8ebf.JPG

The algae is my fault as I topped off with Tap water. So I remedied that problem by purchasing ALOT of distilled water to top off and do water changes moving forward. Is there such thing as too much water? :P 

IMG_1169.JPG.fc91bd7b75df6addc57be1ab0af639c4.JPG

After a 25% water change with distilled water this time Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate are reading 0pmm as they should :)

I headed to the LFS to pick up my clean up crew and a cleaner shrimp, along with some more salt mix. Here are some photos of them getting acclimated.

IMG_1166.JPG.3f3135bad01462764728bac514c0b296.JPGIMG_1167.JPG.869a5e4faaed39daa24961765cf82183.JPG

After the algae gets taken care of and tank stabilises I'll look into slow introducing some corals and fish. 

• Like 2

FTS 6 May 2017

IMG_1215.JPG.e1ae8f968780df3cc486f8ed2d8e2a62.JPG

Cooling

Picked up a 1000 w cooling fan to mount to the back of the tank. I wanted to bring the temperature down a couple degrees C. So far is working great :)

IMG_1196.JPG.b36ef15ee468a5cabd4154286fa94676.JPG

Filtration 

During the cycle I was just running filter floss to catch debri. Now that it is over and I plan on slowing stocking the tank I'm beefing up the filtration. Any other filter recommendations welcome :) 

Top Chamber - Filter Floss

Middle Chamber - Chemi Pure

Lower Chamber - Biohome plus

Livestock 

Ocellaris Clownfish x 2

Cleaner Shrimp x 1

CUC

Astrea Snail x 4

Turbo x 4 

Future Livestock

Strawberry DottyBack x 1

Orange Spotted Goby x 1

IMG_1197.JPG.9aebf1f7574a7a32f901560124c9df43.JPG

IMG_1207.JPG

IMG_1211.JPG

• Like 3
SaltyBuddha

Beautiful looking fish! Can't wait to get some fish in my tank. The chaeto in my tank is working great with the new light. Might Want to add that to your filtration list.

That seems like a big list of fish for such a small tank. The tiger goby is really cool looking but can grow up to 5" (almost half the width of the tank)

On 2017-5-6 at 8:43 PM, SaltyBuddha said:

Beautiful looking fish! Can't wait to get some fish in my tank. The chaeto in my tank is working great with the new light. Might Want to add that to your filtration list.

That seems like a big list of fish for such a small tank. The tiger goby is really cool looking but can grow up to 5" (almost half the width of the tank)

Im definetely picking up some chaeto today from the LFS. Typo on the Goby. I'm looking at an Orange Spotted Goby instead :)

6 hours ago, WolveX said:

nice man..... the tank should look lively now.... after adding my clownfish, it is just fun looking at them dance.

Thanks alot! Yup they do dance around as a pair in the top 1/3 of the tank.

5 hours ago, frahny said:

Very nice!

• Like 1

I picked up some Zoa frags from a fellow reefer today!

Fire n Ice & Sunflower n Green Dragon Eye. 

Now I just need to work on my photo skills :P 

5910196697203_image1(1).JPG.b44b35045b0cc027a45df70777be0f93.JPG

• Like 1
On 2017-5-3 at 0:00 PM, Pazos011 said:

I'm back from my trip. Myanmar was epic, pagodas are out of this world.

IMG_1146.JPG.da953fe88015f2ff4b96bba55af86ebe.JPG

Once I got back I noticed some hair algae growth and your typical brown diatoms at end of cycle. Hopefully my new CUC does the job :D 

IMG_1173.JPG.a85f10360b3f91fd51ae0802008b8ebf.JPG

The algae is my fault as I topped off with Tap water. So I remedied that problem by purchasing ALOT of distilled water to top off and do water changes moving forward. Is there such thing as too much water? :P 

IMG_1169.JPG.fc91bd7b75df6addc57be1ab0af639c4.JPG

After a 25% water change with distilled water this time Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate are reading 0pmm as they should :)

I headed to the LFS to pick up my clean up crew and a cleaner shrimp, along with some more salt mix. Here are some photos of them getting acclimated.

IMG_1166.JPG.3f3135bad01462764728bac514c0b296.JPGIMG_1167.JPG.869a5e4faaed39daa24961765cf82183.JPG

After the algae gets taken care of and tank stabilises I'll look into slow introducing some corals and fish. 

you could consider "LIFE Distilled water" from ntuc after your current batch of distilled water is finished since it's cheaper.

anyways nice tank. looking forward to more updates! 

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Update

I've been super busy with work & travel haven't had the chance to update in a while. So here it goes.

Tank went through a diatom bloom. As much as I wanted to fix it immediately... I did a big water change and waited it out for 10 days instead. Problem solved the tank has taken care of it self.

Livestock (DONE)

Ocellaris Clownfish x 2

Cleaner Shrimp x 1

Strawberry DottyBack x 1

Orange Spotted Goby x 1

Cleaner Shrimp x 1

The tank is now fully stocked. The clowns and dottyback are eating every other day no problem. The goby I have to sort of spot feed, and get the food to sink to the sand bed so he can gobble them up, otherwise he will ignore.

I'm being careful not to over feed as I understand I have a large bio load for this size tank. However, the skimmer and CUC are doing a great job. Water is clear and perameters are spot on. 

Only thing that bothers me is there is slight algae film in some small areas on the glass I have to clean off every other day. Although that is to be expected.

Coral Update

Zoas are all doing great :)

- Fire/Ice - All opened up and getting much bigger

- Green Dragon Eye - has sprouted a new little zoa

- Sunflower - All opened up and bigger

Future Coral Stocking Plans

This weekend Im going to head to some LFS see what they have in stock that is colorful

I'd like to grab the following in due time:

Ricordia

Yuma

Blastos

Duncan

With regards to your heating & cooling, it's great that your environment is warm enough that you don't necessarily need a heater-- but maybe just keep in mind that temperature stability in the long run is going to play a role in the overall health of your tank and growth of your coral.  The water temp always being warm enough but constantly fluctuating is less than ideal.  It will also help ensure that any parameters for which you are testing that are dependent upon water temperature are consistent from test to test.  

I'm not suggesting your tank is temperature-unstable by bringing this up; just throwing it out there.  If you haven't done some testing on this topic already, that would be one easy way to determine a swing-range you're personally comfortable with in terms of tolerances.  

soeminpaing

I am from Myanmar. If I known you would come, I woiuld have suggest you to visit our reef shop. There is only one shop but the prices are really cheap. lps sell for 30-40$ for a colony size around 8-10 inches.

Here's an FTS 20/05/17

IMG_1389.JPG.b1953296dc5018e7b92ce8c6dbdf124d.JPG

I did my weekly 20% water changes. Tank parameters are looking good :)  After my water change I met up with some local reefers today and picked up the following corals:

- Duncan Coral - 8 Heads: I've got no experience gluing frags to live rock so I tried my best...didn't come out perfect but it will work for now. Opening up nicely and the color looks amazing 

IMG_1377.JPG.50ac4e31a787265ad47ec96d86a195ad.JPG

- 4 Yumas (1 big, 4 smaller ones): I placed the larger yuma on my LR hopefully it stays, the smaller yuma rock got knocked over by a snail so I will have to glue it down some where

IMG_1378.JPG.d87c4dbff3285f5ac9bba19b06c794b2.JPG

Coral Update

Green Dragon Eye - all opened up and growing some new polyps 

Fire & Ice - Getting bigger and some new polyps

IMG_1381.JPG.b4b95afbc7dec1e39b60011fab7957f0.JPG

Gold Dust - They're huge and on their own rock all opened up and loving the flow from my new pump 

IMG_1382.JPG.6fed96826599694617075376fcf3e328.JPG

Any Tip/Tricks for glueing Zoas that are on frag stands to LR for a more natural look?

Equipment update:

- My Voyager Nano 1000 failed randomly today (only had it for 2 months) when mixing salt water for my tank. So I brought it over to my LFS and they are going to replace it for FREE and gave me some store credit. Happy days :D 

So I decided to upgrade to a Jebao RW4 Wavemaker. Its working fantastic! Huge difference in water flow. Any recommendations as to the best setting to use?

IMG_1385.JPG.c2eb53fe831a5ead72d1b537bdae5606.JPG

• Like 2