inTank Media Baskets

Cal's Resurrection Desktop IM 20 - A lounge rat's contest tank

calvin

This tank is way too pristine for something that's been running for 6 weeks. I feed daily. No nuisance algae in sight. 

Just now, calvin said:

This tank is way too pristine for something that's been running for 6 weeks. I feed daily. No nuisance algae in sight. 

It's prob cause of your Macros. 

I am dumping food and Reef Plus into my tank daily but have 0 nitrates cause the Macro is sucking it all up. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, calvin said:

My self-imposed spending freeze is about over. Hoping to add fish and/or coral soon

Legendary Corals has a summer sale starting Saturday lol.

• Like 1

New FTS:

IMG_0837_zpsop2a53cw.jpg

my sargassum has lost almost all it's leaves. Will trim it back and hope it recovers.

One of my red brittle stars

IMG_0835_zps88nh6ydh.jpg

Side view. Stuck some red grac in the back. It's doing well

IMG_0834_zpsojsfhdxt.jpg

Finally getting a little pink coralline growth on the rock 

IMG_0836_zpslftba83s.jpg

Red grape is doing well and has become the centerpiece

IMG_0833_zpsjfayutyv.jpg

So, while this tank is far too red and needs some diversity, it's mostly doing very well. No nuisance algae to deal with at all. I barely ever even have to run the mag cleaner. 

I want to add a couple more fish and some corals soon.

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, calvin said:

New FTS:

IMG_0837_zpsop2a53cw.jpg

my sargassum has lost almost all it's leaves. Will trim it back and hope it recovers.

One of my red brittle stars

IMG_0835_zps88nh6ydh.jpg

Side view. Stuck some red grac in the back. It's doing well

IMG_0834_zpsojsfhdxt.jpg

Finally getting a little pink coralline growth on the rock 

IMG_0836_zpslftba83s.jpg

Red grape is doing well and has become the centerpiece

IMG_0833_zpsjfayutyv.jpg

So, while this tank is far too red and needs some diversity, it's mostly doing very well. No nuisance algae to deal with at all. I barely ever even have to run the mag cleaner. 

I want to add a couple more fish and some corals soon.

I just got to see this in person, it's really looking great!!

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

Both youz is married, and not to each other. I'm calling infidelity.

Well my wife and kids were all there too so I think we're in the clear

• Like 1
On 6/13/2017 at 4:55 PM, 9darlingcalvi said:

Green water lettuce to add some color?

Moving away from macros, i hope.

Did a 30% wc last night. Hoping to add some new stuff in the next couple of days.

Also hoping to find an ATO deal before I go on vacation middle of next month.

Finally some new additions!

Today I picked up a firefish, shroom rock and torch. The shrooms are still acclimating.

IMG_0870_zpsvsqnqdnt.jpg

Per wifey's request, I also picked up a fire shrimp. He went nuts during feeding time today.

IMG_0871_zpsj8gfpcaw.jpg

And it's hard to tell in this picture, but these are hermits, a brittle star, a nassarius vibex and a bristle worm all fighting over a nerite that kicked the bucket.

IMG_0869_zpsspkzngla.jpg

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, calvin said:

Finally some new additions!

Today I picked up a firefish, shroom rock and torch. The shrooms are still acclimating.

IMG_0870_zpsvsqnqdnt.jpg

Per wifey's request, I also picked up a fire shrimp. He went nuts during feeding time today.

IMG_0871_zpsj8gfpcaw.jpg

And it's hard to tell in this picture, but these are hermits, a brittle star, a nassarius vibex and a bristle worm all fighting over a nerite that kicked the bucket.

IMG_0869_zpsspkzngla.jpg

Great new additions!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a rough week...

Ordered two gorgonians from GCE and they came in Wednesday. Beautiful, large pieces. When I opened the bag for the yellow plume gorg it smelled pretty bad, but it looked healthy and we all know corals can slime up and stink when dealing with the stress of shipping. So I added both gorgs and got them situated.

The next day when I came home from work I looked at the tank and thought, "Is it cloudy in there?" I stared at it for a while and decided it was all in my head. Big mistake! I noticed that the yellow plume gorg was shedding some flesh but I thought, well, that's probably ok.

I came home from work Friday to find my firefish lying on TOP of my mesh tank cover. Dead. There's not much space for it to jump but it found a way. My 6 yr old daughter was devastated. I tested and found that nitrates had spiked to 40ppm. I did a large water change that night and brought it down to 10ppm, but things weren't looking good. The yellow gorg continued to shed. 

Saturday I called my wife from work to ask how things were going. She said Nemo was acting strangely. He died shortly thereafter. I came home at lunch to deal with that and console my daughter. Again. I decided after that to ditch the yellow gorg completely as it continued to disintegrate. I did another large water change.

Now all I have left is the b&w clown. She's eating and swimming ok but seems to be "breathing" a bit rapidly. I still have the purple gorg in the tank but it's slowly losing tissue as well and has never extended polyps. I'll probably ditch it pretty soon as well. My torch isn't fully extending and my shrooms aren't fully opening, so something is still off.

So either the gorg slime/necrosis is causing all these problems or it's some other random thing I can't see like a medusa worm dying. All I know is that it sucks. :angry:

reeftankguy

That sucks cal. One of the cons on my list of why I didn't want to start up another tank. The worry of it all.

• Like 1