Coral Vue Hydros

Cal's Resurrection Desktop IM 20 - A lounge rat's contest tank

calvin

FTS 8/16/2107

IMG_1106.thumb.jpg.cbc0b9cb7d6dac12d49b3---------------

It's a few days before Easter. Resurrection is in the air. And after years away, it's time for me to have a tank again.

I was counting earlier this week and this will be my 6th tank in 13 years. This go 'round, I have a very excited 6 yr old to work on this project with me. You'll probably see her pop up a lot in this thread. We've been watching Youtube videos together before bed lately and we happened upon some tank videos. After weeks of begging and the thumbs up from wifey, my little one broke me down for a "fishy" tank. At first I thought I would just do a FW tank for her in her room, but I knew in the end I wouldn't be satisfied until I had a reef tank going again.

This thread is the first entry in the Lounge Rat's new tank contest. I expect you'll see more of these pop up in the next few weeks.

Equipment:

• Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 20g
  • Stock return pump (will upgrade this week - it's noisy!) Eheim 1000
  • 10 lbs CaribSea Ocean Direct Live Sand
  • Stock filter socks for the moment until cycle is complete inTank media holders (2)
  • Nanobox Duo V2 
  • Neotherm 75w heater
  • (2) Hydor 565 on JBJ wavemaker

Planned Livestock:

• Ocellaris pair - one standard orange, one B&W per kids' request
  • Midas Blenny
  • Maybe a firefish
  • Fire Shrimp
  • BTA for the clowns
  • Basic CUC

Weetie and I are local to each other as of last year. We just put in a live-plants.com order. She's nice enough to hold my stuff until my cycle is complete. More to come on those items later.

This tank will be on the desk area in our kitchen. This is a highly-trafficked and very visible area. Even though the house is nearly 3,000 sq ft, there's just not any great spaces to put a tank because the floor plan is so open, so the desk became the best option.

My tank came in a few days ago. Here are some pics of the unboxing

IMG_0547_zps7zxufibs.jpg

IMG_0548_zpsy0ftcioo.jpg

IMG_0549_zpsechnjtfs.jpg

IMG_0551_zpsm0spqki0.jpg

IMG_0553_zps8kqx60q8.jpg

And of course it didn't take long before this happened:

20170406_145148_zpsejhvecwe.gif

More to come tomorrow. It's late and I'm tired.

• Like 10
pimp4cheddar

SWEET!

Actually about to pull the trigger on a Nuvo 20 and have it replace my Fluval Edge on my kitchen counter. For the past year...I've been on the fence about doing it since the clearance isn't the greatest (considering the cabinets on top). 

How are you managing the filtration in the back chamber? Curious what your setup is since you'll be placing the tank in the same location I will!

Definitely following this!!!

• Like 2
pimp4cheddar
15 minutes ago, StevieT said:

Sicce or Tunze 1073.008

I would split the returns, run two pumps - one to each nozzle

Eheim 600 also fits

Interesting...that makes sense though and cuts down on powerheads. Although one will still be needed in a 20 gallon tank. I assume the Eheim would be more ideal than the higher powered MJ1200?

What would be your ideal setup for Filtration? I've seen a million ideas on this tank - but I'm always stumped as to what one can do with the limited clearance. I know the inTank Media Baskets are hard acrylic - so they don't bend and with cabinets overhead, there's no room to pull them straight out. 

So what ideal options are left avoiding the inTank Media Baskets?

Dual pumps are more about redundancy and filtration flow.

The MJ1200 has a very wide bracket, so pumps like the Tunze or Eheim that have suction cups on the very bottom of the body are the best option for this tank.

Avoid inTank Media Baskets, what kid of blasphemy is this?

So you painted yourself into a corner with a cabinet.  What about the filter floss holder?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, calvin said:

IMG_0563.JPG

I thought you were all about family involvement and doing this w/your daughter 'n stuff, why didncha just have the kiddos pee in it???

• Like 3
do not smoke the reef(er)
10 hours ago, calvin said:

What do folks like best for a replacement return pump? I'm looking at the Eheim 1000

I ran a single eheim 1000 for the first 6 months of my tank and it worked great. Very quiet pump and efficient. 

4 hours ago, StevieT said:

Dual pumps are more about redundancy and filtration flow.

The MJ1200 has a very wide bracket, so pumps like the Tunze or Eheim that have suction cups on the very bottom of the body are the best option for this tank.

Avoid inTank Media Baskets, what kid of blasphemy is this?

So you painted yourself into a corner with a cabinet.  What about the filter floss holder?

+1 for redundancy. I even run 2 heaters at the moment 

after I installed my tunzee 9001 skimmer in the center chamber (props to @StevieT for the idea) I split the return. Now I run the eheim 1000 and eheim 600. It's a tight fit but it works great once dialed in. The 600s are louder than the 1000 just a heads up 

also I would highly recommend some media baskets! Much needed for this tank I feel. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, pimp4cheddar said:

SWEET!

Actually about to pull the trigger on a Nuvo 20 and have it replace my Fluval Edge on my kitchen counter. For the past year...I've been on the fence about doing it since the clearance isn't the greatest (considering the cabinets on top). 

How are you managing the filtration in the back chamber? Curious what your setup is since you'll be placing the tank in the same location I will!

Definitely following this!!!

I ordered the filter floss holder from StevieT for one side. He was kind enough to notice that I may have ordered the wrong one and emailed me about it. Yep. I ordered the wrong one, so he changed my order for me. Pretty good customer service!

I measured and I think I might just be able to fit a basket in the rear chamber. Haven't ordered one yet. We'll see

5 hours ago, StevieT said:

Sicce or Tunze 1073.008

I would split the returns, run two pumps - one to each nozzle

Eheim 600 also fits

Would too much flow back there reduce effectiveness of media due to decreased dwell time?

1 hour ago, Trolldoll said:

You're going to lose

I will not be intimidated

Cycle has been officially started. Used ammonia from Ace Hardware and some Bio-Spira. First reading is 4ppm ammonia. Will test it frequently to see how it's going.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, calvin said:

Would too much flow back there reduce effectiveness of media due to decreased dwell time?

It's all under water so no.  It's not that much flow, more = bretter

• Like 1

Anyone have a suggestion on an (empty) media bag for this tank for carbon, purigen and such?? I've used pantyhose in the past but looking for something a little more elegant. Everything I'm seeing looks too big. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, calvin said:

@Weetabix7 I need to get one of your coralline packs soon

Today is the last day you can get it, I'm taking that tank down this evening. 

Want one today?

(you do realize you just asked me for Weetabix brand Purple Up, right? ;))

• Like 6