Pod Your Reef

Cal's Resurrection Desktop IM 20 - A lounge rat's contest tank

calvin

SaltyBuddha

I had some brown algae growing on some red flame algae. Got a scarlet hermit crab and he cleaned it all up. Even climbed to the top branches to get at it

4 minutes ago, SaltyBuddha said:

I had some brown algae growing on some red flame algae. Got a scarlet hermit crab and he cleaned it all up. Even climbed to the top branches to get at it

Good to know. Thanks. I've been afraid to add hermits to this macro tank because I thought I read somewhere that hermits might mess with the algae. I need some nass. vibex anyway so I guess a Reefcleaners or KP Aquatics order is... in order.

@Weetabix7 have you heard anything about hermits causing problems with macros? And if not - do you want anything from Reefcleaners or KP Aquatics? :P

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha

Yeah I was too but he has left the macros alone. Only picks at any dead ends or micro algae on it. Dude is a daredevil getting all the way to the top

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, calvin said:

Good to know. Thanks. I've been afraid to add hermits to this macro tank because I thought I read somewhere that hermits might mess with the algae. I need some nass. vibex anyway so I guess a Reefcleaners or KP Aquatics order is... in order.

@Weetabix7 have you heard anything about hermits causing problems with macros? And if not - do you want anything from Reefcleaners or KP Aquatics? :P

I had a zebra hermit once and he ate the entirety of my sargassum hitchhiker and then ate the nub it sprouted on.  No more sargassum for me! :tears:

Of course, he was a big hermit and also harassed everything else in the tank so take that for what you will. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
Weetabix7
33 minutes ago, calvin said:

If you do that, make sure you stick with small hermits. 

Yeah, I can get a couple things from KP or RC. 

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

If you do that, make sure you stick with small hermits. 

Yeah, I can get a couple things from KP or RC. 

Or maybe IPSF? Might get too expensive, though.

The first reef tank I ever had included LR from a local reefer in Birmingham where I was living at the time. I didn't realize it then, but there was a LOT of life on that rock: spaghetti worms, asterinas, bristles, sponges, etc. I miss that.

Weetabix7
5 hours ago, calvin said:

Or maybe IPSF? Might get too expensive, though.

The first reef tank I ever had included LR from a local reefer in Birmingham where I was living at the time. I didn't realize it then, but there was a LOT of life on that rock: spaghetti worms, asterinas, bristles, sponges, etc. I miss that.

I would LOVE to order from IPSF, but I need another 2-4 weeks before I'm ready for them, I think. I've literally wanted to order from them for a few years though, so yeah.

kimberbee
10 hours ago, calvin said:

just get another filter floss holder and suspend media from the bottom of it.

2 hours ago, duderubble said:

Just put the media in a bag with a long string like all us ghetto folks.

For a few months I used an inTank filter floss holder and attached a bag of chemipure to the bottom of it with a rubber band. It seemed to work fine. 

• Like 1

Film algae definitely getting worse. Iodine dip is supposed to come in today, so if I'm feeling up to it later I might try the dip. If I'm feeling particularly saucy I'll try a H2O2 dip on another piece too.

Weetabix7
25 minutes ago, calvin said:

Film algae definitely getting worse. Iodine dip is supposed to come in today, so if I'm feeling up to it later I might try the dip. If I'm feeling particularly saucy I'll try a H2O2 dip on another piece too.

The Sargassum I did the iodine dip on developed what kinda looked like a very slight dark grey film or detritus on it. 

I noticed that the other piece seemed as if it had lost it's film, and I had changed my tank flow so that it was blowing along that piece, SO... I moved the other dipped piece slightly so it was blowing in the current as well and now neither has any film algae and the dark grey is going away on the dipped one. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, duderubble said:

Dip it in the Jordan River seven times. Very effective. 

:lol:

Good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read this, or it would've been everywhere!

• Like 1

Also changed my filter floss. I'd say it's doing its job

IMG_0738.JPG

1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

Hey, are your fish eating good?

My fish is still a total idiot when it comes to that. 

Yeah they've done pretty well since day one with eating

Weetabix7
4 minutes ago, calvin said:

Also changed my filter floss. I'd say it's doing its job

IMG_0738.JPG

Yeah they've done pretty well since day one with eating

WELL..... happy for you, but <_< for me. 

3 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

WELL..... happy for you, but <_< for me. 

Mine aren't the best eaters ever but they always get at least some. The cyclopeeze seem to be their favorite 

21 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Hey, are your fish eating good?

My fish is still a total idiot when it comes to that. 

:lol: Poor Dinky!  Dinky the Dummy lol

• Like 1
Weetabix7
11 minutes ago, calvin said:

Mine aren't the best eaters ever but they always get at least some. The cyclopeeze seem to be their favorite 

That frozen stuff I brought you?

Mine doesn't even seem to see it.... literally.

7 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Could he possibly be visually impaired or blind?

35 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Yes