Cultivated Reef

Cal's Resurrection Desktop IM 20 - A lounge rat's contest tank

calvin

Just now, reeftankguy said:

Lol... Ive re scaped like 6 times already.  How many snails are in there? I cant see any.

Well, he had 15 before a couple Nerites made a run over the wall....

• Like 2
RayWhisperer
15 hours ago, reeftankguy said:

Lol... Ive re scaped like 6 times already.  How many snails are in there? I cant see any.

It doesn't show.

1 hour ago, calvin said:

Babby formed

i think it's a really tiny nass. vibex which is good because I need some

IMG_0693.JPG

What??? That's so cool!!

• Like 1

The brown film algae that was on the sargassum has begun to spread to the other macros. I added some carbon today. I have some purigen I suppose I could add too. Not sure what else to do. 

2 minutes ago, calvin said:

The brown film algae that was on the sargassum has begun to spread to the other macros. I added some carbon today. I have some purigen I suppose I could add too. Not sure what else to do. 

Does it actually look like a brown film?

I have it on parts of the Sargassum in my tank but I only see it if I look closely and it just looks like a light film, no real color. 

I have had carbon in my tank from the start, maybe that has affected it. 

I've also had current blowing fairly directly on the sargassum. 

And as you know I lugol's dipped it, we'll see how that goes. 

31 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Does it actually look like a brown film?

I have it on parts of the Sargassum in my tank but I only see it if I look closely and it just looks like a light film, no real color. 

I have had carbon in my tank from the start, maybe that has affected it. 

I've also had current blowing fairly directly on the sargassum. 

And as you know I lugol's dipped it, we'll see how that goes. 

Yes it definitely looks brown. Checked my nitrates today and they're at zero. And it gets pretty good flow from both sides with the wavemaker. 

Which lugols do do folks recommend? There are so many out there. 

On the positive side,  the clowns seem to have acclimated well and both ate a bit tonight. 

2 minutes ago, calvin said:

Yes it definitely looks brown. Checked my nitrates today and they're at zero. And it gets pretty good flow from both sides with the wavemaker. 

Which lugols do do folks recommend? There are so many out there. 

I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/Kent-Marine-Lugols-Solution-1-Ounce/dp/B0002DIZ52/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493343707&sr=8-1&keywords=lugol's+iodine+aquarium

I've heard of folks doing peroxide dips to kill nuisance algae. I know this is common in the FW planted tank world. I wonder if it would work to dip my macros to try to get rid of the brown film algae on them or if it would hurt the macros as well. Any ideas/experiences with this?

6 minutes ago, calvin said:

I've heard of folks doing peroxide dips to kill nuisance algae. I know this is common in the FW planted tank world. I wonder if it would work to dip my macros to try to get rid of the brown film algae on them or if it would hurt the macros as well. Any ideas/experiences with this?

Hmm. 

You're talking regular peroxide, right?

I'd say pick a piece of Macro that you won't be heartbroken over losing if it kills it and experiment on it. 

It also wouldn't hurt to take a toothbrush and gently brush the film off while it's being dipped. 

The piece of Sargassum I have that I dipped in lugol's as an experiment looks darker on the top half of one of the long stems. 

Not sure what that means. 

The piece that I didn't dip in lugol's actually looks like it recovered on it's own, it's looking decent. 

I'm guessing your addition of carbon didn't help lessen the algae?

44 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Hmm. 

You're talking regular peroxide, right?

I'd say pick a piece of Macro that you won't be heartbroken over losing if it kills it and experiment on it. 

It also wouldn't hurt to take a toothbrush and gently brush the film off while it's being dipped. 

The piece of Sargassum I have that I dipped in lugol's as an experiment looks darker on the top half of one of the long stems. 

Not sure what that means. 

The piece that I didn't dip in lugol's actually looks like it recovered on it's own, it's looking decent. 

I'm guessing your addition of carbon didn't help lessen the algae?

I think the carbon did help some. I think I'll add my purigen too

• Like 1
1 minute ago, calvin said:

I think the carbon did help some. I think I'll add my purigen too

I think that's a good idea. 

Maybe the fact that I had carbon in from the start made a difference.

Well, I finally did a proper measurement and confirmed that I definitely do not have the clearance over the tank to fit a media basket. So I either have to try to fab my own 2 piece stackable solution (not gonna happen) or just get another filter floss holder and suspend media from the bottom of it.