Innovative Marine Aquariums

Cal's Resurrection Desktop IM 20 - A lounge rat's contest tank

calvin

blizzardscout2
22 hours ago, calvin said:

Thanks. I used the live photo feature on my iPhone and then the GIF Toaster app to convert it. 

You the man! After seeing your kids playing in the shipment box I was going to research how to make a GIF. Thanks! Nanobox is awesome huh? I'm a new owner and am very glad I went that direction. Following along.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, blizzardscout2 said:

You the man! After seeing your kids playing in the shipment box I was going to research how to make a GIF. Thanks! Nanobox is awesome huh? I'm a new owner and am very glad I went that direction. Following along.

Yes the new light is pretty cool. Now I need to get on selling my old light to recoup some costs. 

Put in 2 more ml of ammonia yesterday. Back down to zero today. Nitrites at 5ppm+. ?

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, calvin said:

I wonder how feasible it is to get sufficient flow for this tank simply through 2 upgraded return pumps and no Powerheads

That would be pretty cool. 

Have you checked other people's tank threads who have this tank to see if anyone has managed that?

3 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Seems plausible to me, as long as the overflow can keep up. What's the GPH rating for the current pumps? Can you adapt Loc-line parts to the current return nozzles?

I thought of the loc-line as well. 

I have a used locline Y attached to some fairly long outtakes, don't know if that would help you. 

I can send you a pic if you like. 

I would think it would be advisable to allow more dwell time in the filtration chambers than that would allow.  

But I think you should experiment with it for 6 months or so. 

• Like 1

Well, gluing the rocks didn't go as planned. So I just mostly used gravity to hold things together. The larger section on the left will mostly stay the way it is. The right section maybe as well. that short piece in the middle will definitely change completely. Suggestions welcome. 

And Ray, I'll thank you to wait and make your pronouncement until the final version is posted. 

My helper who designed the larger section on the left 

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-14%20at%209.36.4

FTS (still cloudy from disturbing the sand)

IMG_0620_zpsar2xlcyk.jpg

Side view

IMG_0621_zpsxx8ynuq8.jpg

More rock to work with if I want:

IMG_0622_zps5oidwu8h.jpg

I also have plenty of rubble I'll stick in some pantyhose or something to go in the back chamber for extra filtration and to use to attach frags in the future.

• Like 5
10 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Seems plausible to me, as long as the overflow can keep up. What's the GPH rating for the current pumps? Can you adapt Loc-line parts to the current return nozzles?

I'm just using the stock setup right now which is 1 pump on a Y going to two returns. I think it's about 200 gph? Not sure about the loc-line. 

9 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

That would be pretty cool. 

Have you checked other people's tank threads who have this tank to see if anyone has managed that?

I thought of the loc-line as well. 

I have a used locline Y attached to some fairly long outtakes, don't know if that would help you. 

I can send you a pic if you like. 

have seen a couple of threads but the ones I've seen have a ph in the tank. Haven't looked very hard yet though. 

8 hours ago, duderubble said:

At that price, don't worry about me copying you. I do have the koralia and wave maker from halfy. Just exploring ideas right now.

8 hours ago, calvin said:

And I guess it's time for a water change ?

IMG_0623.JPG

Yow!!! Is nitrite at 0?

7 hours ago, calvin said:

I have a koralia wave maker from halfpint. maybe I should stick to two koralia pumps on that and just a basic quiet return pump.

I like this idea, personally, but it's not my tank. 

Depends whether it bothers you to see Koralia's in the display. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, blizzardscout2 said:

Are you going to run a strip or controller or will you plug into the outlets on the left of the tank? I imagine you won't have too many cords. Something like this could work:

https://www.amazon.com/Management-Adjustable-Organizer-Baltic-Living/dp/B018K8UGKM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492266716&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=cable+management&psc=1

I have two wall outlets, one on each side of the tank. Both are on the same GFCI breaker. The nano box uses 3 plugs. then there's the return pump and heater. If I run the Koralia wave maker that will add one more for a total of 6 plugs needed. I guess I'll get a strip so I can run everything from one outlet. I have space behind the tank to run everything. I'll look at your link

My biggest issue right now is trying to make my Rio pump work with the IM return tubing. Couldn't find the right adaptor at Lowe's today. how are people doing this? Are you ordering the adaptor somewhere? That stock pump is noisy.

Checked nitrites this Easter morning and they're at zero. As crazy as it sounds, this tank is cycled! Ready to add some new life which could happen as early as tomorrow. 

The ammonia + Bio-Spira trick worked amazingly well. 

11 hours ago, duderubble said:

Is that overkill?

I don't think so. The return is split into two outputs. 

• Like 1