ReefCleaners.org

Cal's Resurrection Desktop IM 20 - A lounge rat's contest tank

calvin

10 minutes ago, duderubble said:

I don't test.

Don't think I've ever tested for all 3 of these either. But now I get a sense of superiority over you phillistines who "don't bother to test." Totally worth it. 

• Like 1

Test results: everything was HIGH! But not too high. It means my first guess at how much kalkwasser to add to my top off water was a little too generous. So I'll dilute what's in the reservoir now and test again in a few days. I am a little surprised at my Mag level: 1400. I haven't dosed any mag, so that means my reef crystals are a bit high for that. Interesting.

• Like 1

In other news, I thought I had decent surface agitation but decided to point my return nozzles towards the surface anyway to see if I could bring temps down. I was getting up to about 80.6º which was not good for my codium. Since making the change I'm at 78.8º. A pretty good result for a seemingly small change.

• Like 3

And finally, my clown drama continues. "nemo" has developed some sort of...something over one eye. My daughter noticed it right after a wc this week in the QT tank. I'm not sure if it's an injury or some kind of infection/disease. When I was pouring in the water I accidentally went too fast right at first and may have "blown" the fish around and caused an injury. 

IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1164.jpg

10 minutes ago, calvin said:

And finally, my clown drama continues. "nemo" has developed some sort of...something over one eye. My daughter noticed it right after a wc this week in the QT tank. I'm not sure if it's an injury or some kind of infection/disease. When I was pouring in the water I accidentally went too fast right at first and may have "blown" the fish around and caused an injury. 

IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1164.jpg

I've had fish recover from this in the past after I fed them frozen food soaked in one of the aquarium brands of garlic drops. 

19 minutes ago, calvin said:

Test results: everything was HIGH! But not too high. It means my first guess at how much kalkwasser to add to my top off water was a little too generous. So I'll dilute what's in the reservoir now and test again in a few days. I am a little surprised at my Mag level: 1400. I haven't dosed any mag, so that means my reef crystals are a bit high for that. Interesting.

Huh, that is interesting.

15 minutes ago, calvin said:

In other news, I thought I had decent surface agitation but decided to point my return nozzles towards the surface anyway to see if I could bring temps down. I was getting up to about 80.6º which was not good for my codium. Since making the change I'm at 78.8º. A pretty good result for a seemingly small change.

I'd say that result is well worth the effort.

• Like 2

For funsies: the red grape is spitting out babies

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG

2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Huh, that is interesting

I was fully expecting to need to dose mag

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, calvin said:

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG

Surprise!!

And that's cool about the Red Grape Macro babies. :happy:

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, calvin said:

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG

I once had red grape go buckwild, throwing little bubbles of baby algae everywhere! On the filter intake, thermometer, tank walls, everywhere!

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, calvin said:

with calcium as high as it is I'm surprised I don't have good coralline growth yet

Y'know, that is kinda weird now that you mention it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple of surface agitation gifs I wanted to post. Just cuz I like surface agitation. But with photo bucket no longer an option I have no idea how to post them.

So let's all just imagine a nice surface agitation gif...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm past due on an update here. I've got some corals coming in Tuesday that I'll post after I get them. I'm also trying to find a local to go in on a live aquaria order with me so I can get this guy with free shipping http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3352+3353+3523&pcatid=3523

if it comes down to it I could also just order the Midas blenny I've wanted and get free shipping that way. But my little girl really wants another fire fish and I think a clown pair, filefish, Midas blenny and fire fish would be overstocked for this tank. 

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
On 9/3/2017 at 8:05 PM, calvin said:

But with photo bucket no longer an option I have no idea how to post them.

Try imgur.com, that should work well for gifs. :) Flickr.com is the best alternative for Photobucket, or you can upload directly here now.

On 8/24/2017 at 4:42 PM, calvin said:

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG

have alot of those in my tank came as hitchhikers  i give them to my friend he loves them also red bubble algae haha

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
2 hours ago, calvin said:

Damaged in shipping. Missing parts. Poor customer service. No instructions 

That super sucks! eBay has a pretty good policy in place to protect buyers, they will step in if you're not able to find resolution. Does it seem like it uses standard parts at least? Is this your first RO unit? They can be pretty confusing to set up unless the builder used nice color coded fittings.

Pulled the trigger. Arriving next week

5A36B333-7B88-41A6-A9AF-0D7E4F8FD18F.jpeg

On 9/19/2017 at 12:40 PM, Christopher Marks said:

That super sucks! eBay has a pretty good policy in place to protect buyers, they will step in if you're not able to find resolution. Does it seem like it uses standard parts at least? Is this your first RO unit? They can be pretty confusing to set up unless the builder used nice color coded fittings.

Yes, standard parts. Not my first RO unit so I’ve got it figured out. Been super busy with work this week so I haven’t set it up yet. Need to buy a Y adapter for my laundry cold water connection. 

• Like 3

Getting tangs is what you are doing wrong. Worst fish ever. Ich, lateral line, or some other gram whatever bacterial infection. They almost always come in with on of those 3. Cure it, change tanks, they present again. Stupid tangs are stupid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2